x

Can I use Square on a laptop or computer instead of a moblie device?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Can I use Square on my laptop instead of a moblie device?

Hi - I am trying to find out the answer to a question below:

Can I use Square on my laptop instead of a mobile device and plug the reader into the microphone? If so, how do I download the app on my laptop? It is not an Apple product.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 133
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi everyone!

Big update for 2021: You can now use a connected Square Terminal with Virtual Terminal! Once you have Square Terminal, you can use it to turn your Mac or Windows PC into an all-in-one POS solution.

For additional information, check out our Square Terminal with Virtual Terminal product update.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform

View Best Answer >

Message 119 of 133
132 REPLIES 132

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Hello, I’ve spent over two (2) hours trying to find and download Square on my laptop. You do not hav

Hello,

I’ve spent over two (2) hours trying to find and download Square on my laptop.

You do not have a help center or contact number for me to call. Would anyone out there be kind enough to share?

Message 2 of 133

There is no app for a computer. It is only available for portable devices such as iPhone and iPad and other android based devices. 

Message 3 of 133
Square

@Macrule - Thanks so much for your help with this! 

@Basil - I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble! While we don't currently offer a desktop app, you can manually enter payments using Square's Virtual Terminal. Also, for more details on how to reach us over the phone, check out this Seller Community thread on the topic. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 133

I was wondering the same .. I want to download the Square app on my laptop so I can update it from there. My Android has not enough space to even update the app.

Message 5 of 133
Square

Hi @onekoolkat and welcome to the Seller Community. While we don't currently offer a desktop app, you can manually enter payments using Square's Virtual Terminal. We'll be sure to share your interest in this functionality with our product liaison team. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 133

Is this fixed yet? why not pc please? I mean it connects wirelessly too! 
Please fix, please help 

Message 7 of 133
Square Community Moderator

Hello and welcome to the Seller Community 👋

I don't have any updates on a Square Point of Sale version for PC @AkashaMae

I am inclined to believe the Mac (Apple) version of our app was possible because the macOS operating system shares multiple if not all elements that are found in iOS so our engineers were able to port the support over without needing to develop or create a new application to support the operating system.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 133

Can Square be connected to a computer?  I rarely see a credit card

Message 9 of 133

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can we enter a charge on the computer?

Our phone is broke, can we enter a charge on the computer?

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 133

I have forgotten my phone and ipad.  Can I log in to my account on my computer and charge?

Message 11 of 133

can i complete a point of sale transaction from the website

Message 12 of 133

I can't find the register option on the pc? For the new chip reader.

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 133
Alumni

@MuscularM_777 - Can you tell me a bit more about the information you're looking for?

Square Register runs on most iOS and Android devices, but not PCs.

If you're looking to connect your contactless and chip reader, you can follow the instructions in this support article.

Free free to post again if you have any follow up questions. 

Message 14 of 133

can the square be used on laptop?

Message 15 of 133
Square Community Moderator

@katshairklips Check out the Best Answer by Sean in this thread about the new Virtual Terminal Product Update. 

Message 16 of 133

How can I take a payment using a laptop?

Message 17 of 133
Square

You can't swipe a card on your laptop but you can send your customer an invoice right from your Square Dashboard. Square Invoice's allows you to send a bill to your customer via email and they can pay right away! 

Invoice payments are always deposited on your normal deposit schedule so you won't be paying extra or waiting longer for your deposit. 

Message 18 of 133
Square

Hi everyone!  While you can't download the Square Point of Sale app or swipe cards using a reader with a computer, our Virtual Terminal feature does give you the ability to manually enter payments right from your Square Dashboard. You can read more details about this feature in this product update thread: Square Register Update - Virtual Terminal. You'll have to tell me what your thoughts are once you test it out! 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 19 of 133

Can I use square reader on my PV lap top or pc Desk top

Message 20 of 133

Can I use square reader on my Pc lap top or pc Desk top

Message 21 of 133