x

Can I use Square on a laptop or computer instead of a moblie device?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Can I use Square on my laptop instead of a moblie device?

Hi - I am trying to find out the answer to a question below:

Can I use Square on my laptop instead of a mobile device and plug the reader into the microphone? If so, how do I download the app on my laptop? It is not an Apple product.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 133
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi everyone!

Big update for 2021: You can now use a connected Square Terminal with Virtual Terminal! Once you have Square Terminal, you can use it to turn your Mac or Windows PC into an all-in-one POS solution.

For additional information, check out our Square Terminal with Virtual Terminal product update.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform

View Best Answer >

Message 119 of 133
132 REPLIES 132
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Ashton_2020! Thanks for reaching out!

I've merged your post with an identical thread that has some answers that may be helpful here. I would take a look at this Best Answer for accurate shipping time for your reader. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 43 of 133

Well that sucks. Our RSL just purchased 3 of these things so we can collect donations for Poppy Day, now we find we cant connect them to laptops. That means we have to ask our members to use their own phones. Refund being sought.

Message 44 of 133
Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Are square coming out with a software where we can run square on a desktop computer

Are square coming out with a software where we can run square on a desktop computer also instead of tablet

Message 45 of 133
Super Seller

Currently, there are no plans that have been stated to make an app for desktops.  you can accept payments on your computer via virtual terminal.  https://squareup.com/payments/virtual-terminal . It isn't a full POS but at least allows you to take a payment.

https://squareup.com/dashboard/terminal

Message 46 of 133

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: will square card reader work with windows 10

will square card reader work with windows 10

Message 47 of 133
Super Seller Alumni

Square is an App based system and is only available on Android and Apple iOS Devices. So NO you can't use the readers on Windows 10 or any other computer.

Message 48 of 133

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can I download the Square app on a desktop?

Can I download the square app on a desktop?

Message 49 of 133
Super Seller

No. The Square Point of Sale app is for iOS and Android. You can use the Square Virtual Terminal to charge cards from a computer. 

This answer was updated in 2020 by a moderator for added clarity.

Message 50 of 133
Beta Member

How can we suggest Square offer this?  It would be very helpful.  I have an Apple Laptop and an Android phone, so I can't use the integrated Appointments/POS App on either devise of mine.     

Message 51 of 133
Admin

Hey @lianalmt! Thanks for your request, we definitely hear you! 

A couple of updates for you: You can now use the magstripe reader with your computer browser to take in-person payments (currently only Apple computers and Chromebooks are supported.)

Additionally, the Point of Sale app is compatible with many Android devices so you might be able to take payments using your phone. 

Last but not least Appointments app is available on iOS and Android devices! but we are working on an Android version. If you like you can even participate in the beta for the Android Appointments app!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 52 of 133
Beta Member

HI Helen, 

Thanks so much for this information.  I have used my the POS App on Android to take payments for a long time.  🙂   

Super excited to  be able to take swipe payments on my desktop and the Android Beta- but will the vitual terminal not be able to access my Items Library?  Or is there a way to check out with the virtual terminal from Appointments on my desktop logged into my account?   THAT would be the most ideal situation.   

Thanks!

Message 53 of 133
Super Seller

virtual terminal is more or less for taking lump sum payments, it does not use items from your library etc.

Message 54 of 133
Admin

@lianalmt Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood your first post. 😀

As @VanKalkerFarms mentioned you can't add items to payments processed through Virtual Terminal. Virtual Terminal is relatively new and we'll let you know about new features as they are added! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 55 of 133

Bump. It would be very helpful for my business to have a Dashboard program for windows/Os X.

The browser interface in nice, but it is difficult to multitask with. It would greatly improve our workflow to not have to keep multiple tabs open on a browser that we constantly have to log back into when using an admin computer. There are workarounds for the logout issue (auto refresh) but that risks losing work if the refresh happens in the middle of a task.

Message 56 of 133

I agree with this. Alternatively, it would also be really useful if there was a plug-in for Microsoft Outlook so I could manage my Square Appointments directly within my Outlook calendar rather than having to open the browser to manage them.

Message 57 of 133

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Setting up square on my computer

How do I start my computer to process payments instead of using my phone? I would like to have everythign on my laptop so I can see my schedule easier and take payments on a bigger screen. 

Message 58 of 133
Super Seller

you can take lump sum payments on your computer but it is very limited features, you can't sell items or anything it is a just type in an amount to collect type sales.

more information here.

https://squareup.com/us/en/payments/virtual-terminal

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5807-get-started-with-virtual-terminal

https://squareup.com/dashboard/terminal

Message 59 of 133

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can I use Square in my HP PC instead of a moblie device?

I have a tablet I can use, but the PC is more convenient. I was trying to figure out if it is possible to just plug the reader into my PC and use it instead. I did see where Apple devices can be used, but this is an HP.

Message 60 of 133
Super Seller

currently, only Apple and Chromebooks support plugging in a reader to make payments in a virtual terminal.

The virtual terminal is not the full POS but a very limited subset to take lump-sum payments and not for selling individual items.  

Message 61 of 133

We too have a computer that has Bluetooth and would really like it if square would make these readers work on windows 10. Even a PWA app for windows 10 would be nice. They make you buy extra equipment(tablets) that has small screens when most people want to use a computer.
Message 62 of 133
Beta Member

How many thousands of views of this thread from people looking for square device compatibility with PC, and no straight answer from Square. Just be clear if you have no interest in supporting PC connectivity. 

P.S. Please don't answer that you support magstripe on a mac. The world is now chipped.

Message 63 of 133