x

Can I use Square on iPhone data or without WiFi?

I was in a parking lot and needed to run someones card, and my iphone said something like it was unable to connect to the internet,

Is there a way to use this program without internet?   Using data is ok with me 

thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Yes you can yse your internet connection from your cell provider rather than wifi.  It could be you were in a place with poor reception for your cell provider causing the error.  I run tens of thousands of transaction over AT&T cellular internet connection.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

Best Answer

Yes you can yse your internet connection from your cell provider rather than wifi.  It could be you were in a place with poor reception for your cell provider causing the error.  I run tens of thousands of transaction over AT&T cellular internet connection.

Message 2 of 8

Does using data require any specific instructions, I tried to process a payment, and it said I needed to connect to internet,

I would like to use data whenever internet is unavailable.

Message 3 of 8

MRogers, 

I haven't heard of this being an issue but maybe it's phone/app setting thing? What type of phone are you running Point of Sale on?

We have an iPad with a data plan that we've used outside of our shop and as long as we have the data on it works--it seemlessly runs charges as if we were on Internet. Not sure why it would deny you the ability when you have a data connection.

Message 4 of 8
Super Seller

it is possible in settings that you turned off using cellular data.  on an iPhone you do this under setting --> Cellular

Message 5 of 8

Thank you for your reply, will double check settings

Message 6 of 8

that really wasn't the question: Can you run cards(swipe) without internet using Only data -- mine certainly does NOT work without internet and Cellular data turned on for Square, so what's the trick?

Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @zmjm16 

Yes, it is possible to use Square applications on Celular Data (many of our Sellers use it like that). This function should work by default (no tricks needed) If it isn't working for you I'd recommend checking to make sure that both your app and your mobile device itself are up-to-date. If everything looks good there, you'll want to reach out.

If you haven't already, your best bet is to get in touch with us directly, so that a member of our support team can dig in with you. When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8