x

Can I use a Square Terminal and the printer driven cash drawer on wifi? Do I need to buy the hub?

current i use just the card reader on my phone...i want to buy the square terminal and put it on top of a square cash drawer.   is that all i need if i have wifi?  do i need to buy the hub for the terminal?  do i need to buy the usb cash drawer?  can i buy a POS cash drawer from amazon?

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

@alan11 - glad to see you in the Community! 

To answer you question, Depends on the type of printer you're connecting your printer-driven cash box to. If your printer is Ethernet/wifi, you don't need the HUB for the Terminal. Instead, you'll just plug the printer's LAN cable into a internet router so your Terminal can communicate over a wifi signal. 

The HUB is used to connect USB accessories ( USB Cash box, USB barcode scanner, etc) - hence the 3 USB ports on it. More on setting up you hardware here . 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Alumni

Best Answer

@alan11 - glad to see you in the Community! 

To answer you question, Depends on the type of printer you're connecting your printer-driven cash box to. If your printer is Ethernet/wifi, you don't need the HUB for the Terminal. Instead, you'll just plug the printer's LAN cable into a internet router so your Terminal can communicate over a wifi signal. 

The HUB is used to connect USB accessories ( USB Cash box, USB barcode scanner, etc) - hence the 3 USB ports on it. More on setting up you hardware here . 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 5

Like @alan11 I'd like to connect a cash drawer on WiFi. Is there a "WiFi printer emulator" or cheap WiFi printer you would recommend?

Message 3 of 5

I would like to purchase the terminal but I own a food truck, I do not have access to ethernet. Does this device require ethernet or can I use via WIFI only?

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Seller Community, @nbaldeon1013

Yes! You can connect using Ethernet OR Wifi 😊 

Here is our Square Terminal FAQ guide, and this Square Terminal Troubleshooting guide as well. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Message 5 of 5