x

Can I use any USB Cash Drawer with Square Stand?

I am sure that this has been asked and answered, but the search feature on this communities site is not very robust and the information I've been able to gather from square/communities is not entirely clear. So I am asking again (maybe).

I know that the Square corporate line is that the APG Vasario VB554A-BL1616  is the only USB cash drawer that works with the Square Stand hub (which means you don't need a printer, which is what I want). I am wondering if anyone has experience using a different, less expensive USB drawer with the Square Stand and USB hub?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Charlie 

Message 1 of 21
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

I don't have any personal use of this but this item says it takes usb input and converts it to the connection that would come out of the printer from what I understand.  It may work, it may not.  There are no reviews that are helpful of the product.

https://amzn.com/B01BAGD0PY

I've looked for like 15 minutes and basically don't see any USB cash drawers under $200.  By far the industry standard is the 24v trigger from the printer.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Beta Member

Message 2 of 21

Nope. That one says specifically that it requires an ethernet connection to a receipt printer.

I do not nor do I need a receipt printer. All I want is a USB cash drawer that costs less than $235. Square, if you're reading this, please add support for a wider variety of USB cash drawers. Your focus is small businesses. Not sure why you have only the most expensive cash drawer (more than 2x the Price of the Square Stand) as the only USB one supported). Surely it can't be that hard to come up with new drivers?

Message 3 of 21
Super Seller

Best Answer

I don't have any personal use of this but this item says it takes usb input and converts it to the connection that would come out of the printer from what I understand.  It may work, it may not.  There are no reviews that are helpful of the product.

https://amzn.com/B01BAGD0PY

I've looked for like 15 minutes and basically don't see any USB cash drawers under $200.  By far the industry standard is the 24v trigger from the printer.

Message 4 of 21
Super Seller

the same model drawer but not in usb is what we use and costs $87.  It just seems that the manufacturers are charging more for USB interface rather than the 24v interface.

https://amzn.com/B00EUMNQTG

Message 5 of 21

Still need printer to run it!

Message 6 of 21

Unfortunately the Drawer trigger listed above does not work. The square does not recognize this device. 

Message 7 of 21
Super Seller

Message 8 of 21

I do not have a printer. I was trying to use the drawer trigger that was listed in a post above and the iPad did not recognize the device. 

Message 9 of 21
Super Seller

Ok, what drawer do you have?  do you have a square stand?  what device do you have?

Message 10 of 21

Please help! I ordered a pos hardware bundle from Walmart.com and it’s not recognized by My square stand! Is there a way of “tricking” square stand into recognizing my usb receipt printer and cash drawer?

Message 11 of 21
Super Seller

Message 12 of 21

I bought a bundle and the stand/ipad recognized the connection, but the printer didn't work and the drawer didn't pop.    I had to go into the settings / hardware / printers / create printer station.    Suddenly I had the option for receipt printing (not just text/email) and the drawer opens every time someone pays and I touch the amount they gave me (draw pops and it tells me what change to give).

Message 13 of 21
Alumni

@SnackShackJack Sweet! Glad you found the setting to create a printer station. Is your set up working out so far? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 21

I agree I'm going through this right now trying to find one that works with my terminal I just returned a register to Amazon bc I just found out I need a USB kind 

Message 15 of 21

That only works with a printer...

Message 16 of 21

Hi guys! I bought a square terminal for my business and I’m in need of a cash drawer usb so I’m able to connect it directly to the terminal. I’ve been trying to find something under $150 but the apg models says it doesn’t work with square pos. I’m looking at printer driver cash drawers models now but the printers are expensive and don’t really need since I’m printing on the terminal. My question is do I need the accessory hub to connect my square terminal to my usb cash drawer if I find one? Another question is let’s say I buy a printer driver cash drawer and connect it to a printer. When I select the cash option can I select how I want to print my receipt, if through the external printer or the one incorporated in the terminal. Appreciate all the help i can get since I’ve been unable to find an usb cash drawer for a decent price. Thanks again 

Message 17 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Sheilajd,

Thanks for writing in and welcome to the Seller Community! 

I hear you- USB cash drawers tend to be a little more pricey. You'd need the USB hub for the Square Terminal, to connect a USB cash drawer to your Terminal. 

When you connect a printer, and printer-driven cash drawer, you can create printer stations to specify when a receipt would be printed. I hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions. 

Message 18 of 21

Hi there! thank you very much. Thought  I wasn't getting an answer :

I thought I didn't need the hub to connect it to the usb cash drawer. then I guess I would need to either buy the hub and the usb cash drawer OR the printer driven cash drawer and receipt printer. Do I still need the hub if im using the printer driven cash drawer? 

Sorry im very confused, thank you again!

Message 19 of 21

i want to keep it as simple as possible since im starting and its a mobile business. I was hoping to connect the terminal to my hotspot that's why I was thinking about th usb cash drawer. thank you!

Message 20 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for describing how you'd like to set this up in more detail @Sheilajd 🙂 

Depending on the printer you're looking at, you might still need the Square hub to connect the printer itself to the Terminal. When it comes to compatible printers with the Terminal, you can either go for a USB printer model, or an Ethernet network printer. Since you mentioned that you're running a mobile business using a hotspot, you wouldn't be able to connect an Ethernet printer. 

The way printer driven cash drawers work is that they trigger the drawer to open when the printer registers a sale. You can find the full list of compatible printers here. My last suggestion would be to manually operate the cash drawer via the included key, if you're just starting out and not wanting to purchase a printer right away. Of course, you'd need to consider how many cash sales you're expecting to take, and also whether you have staff that you don't want to open the cash drawer at any given time. 

Message 21 of 21