x

Can I use the square gift card anywhere?

I got a square gift card from my father as a thank you for helping him setting up his store, as he uses square as well for our families businesses, but when I tried buying something at the grocery store with it, for some reason it wasn’t working, tried somewhere else same thing. What’s wrong ? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Hi @Nayeemsarker94! If you're talking about an actual Square issued gift card, those can only be used with the merchant from where it was purchased. They are not universal.

But I also want to make sure... could you be talking about the Square Card and not gift cards?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 5

A customer came in with a Square e-gift card he was told could be used anywhere that. accepts square.  I attempted to redeem it under gift. cards and it did not go through. Is there a particular place to redeem Square gift cards? Is there an expiration date?

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

Hello @refillrenew as far as I know, each Square merchant may offer gift cards for their own business, but I do not think you can use a Square gift card with any store; they are specific to whatever independent store sold the card.

See this post for more info about this. Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @refillrenew - Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

I went ahead and merged your post to the existing thread that @HC_Charlie  mentioned above. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

Charlie is correct here! Square gift cards (physical or electronic) are not universal to all Square Merchants. The Square merchant that the gift card is purchased from will receive the initial payment to load the card. If the customer then took this gift card to a second business that is not associated with the first, the second business would be essentially giving away free product since they would not be receiving any payment in the transaction.

However, when you have multiple locations enabled, your gift cards can be issued and redeemed at any of the locations associated with your Square account.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5