x

Can a closed drawer session be edited?

We closed an active drawer with a mistake in the "actual amount in drawer" item.  Actually, the Square app froze and closed it out with the incorrect amount entered, but anyhow, can a closed drawer be edited to show the correct amount in "actual amount in drawer" item?

Message 1 of 89
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @906_Vapor, welcome to the Seller Community! 

I'm just popping in to confirm that @jjgard is correct. Once a cash drawer report is closed you will not be able to edit it. This is currently a feature request. I will make sure to share this post with our product team!  

Please let me know if either of you have improvements you would like to suggest! We love hearing from our Sellers. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 89
88 REPLIES 88

I am looking for it to. People have been asking for this for 6 years!! 

Message 22 of 89
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Rock12345,

Thanks for reaching out to us. And following up on this. 

We field thousands of feature requests each week here on the Seller Community, and bringing these features to fruition often takes an ample amount of time and effort from our engineers. We want to ensure that our releases are not just surface level products, but the best all-around resources to help you grow your business.

These requests also span an array of different aspects of our products; some are more major, while some are periphery features. Our Product Teams do have a road-map for future additions to our offering, but the nature of our work includes trial, error, and set-backs. So sharing a timeline would be far from accurate and more than likely cause more confusion and angst.

We understand that it might be difficult waiting for something to be built out, but our engineers are working on various different requests brought up by our sellers, and working with Apple, Google, and our other partners in order to approve these changes and be able to push them out in future updates.

Message 23 of 89

Can we please get this as an option or let it tell you what the difference is before we confirm the drawer closure. 

Message 24 of 89

What do you mean outside the owners permission?!?!?!

There is an option to DELEGATE PERMISSIONS!! Your response to this thread makes me question your knowledge of Square at all. How could you not know that there are permission settings?

When are you going to make this available??  This is long enough; Square was supposed to be an upgrade to our older system and Square lacks this MAJOR option that even the old system had!

Message 25 of 89

Is this possible yet since this response is 5 years old?

Message 26 of 89

This "feature request" is over 5 years old. What a mess. We had a new person mess up in closing and now we will have a BIG MESS when we reconcile our books at months end - even though the cash is all correct. In trying to find an answer for how to do this in Square, I found that this feature is something offered by Toast, so obviously not too weird or scary to implement.

Message 27 of 89

Have you ever made it possible to edit a closed drawer?? 

I have just closed a drawer 1200.00 over 😕 

This ability should really be an option considering, human error is an option!

Message 28 of 89

I've been waiting for 5 years now. According to them not enough people are making a stink about it.

The admin recommended submitting a feature request: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-Point-of-Sale-app/idb-p/SquarePOSapp

Message 29 of 89

Thank you for your response; I think it's completely ridiculous this hasn't been addressed. This, to me; speaks volumes about Square and their willingness to satisfy their customers. Hence the reason we still have the old system in place, just incase mind gets changed about going with Square.. (it is still new to us)  

Message 30 of 89

Hello. 

The last two days we've experienced our square register closing out a drawer on it's own. This is during the middle of a shift. Is this a new bug that's being addressed. Anyone else experienced this ? Again this wasn't an employee making a mistake. we received a notification the drawer had been closed out during the shift.

Accounting for an incorrect drawer is way harder than it should be.  We have 6 registers running. I'm praying this is just a quick glitch. 

Message 31 of 89
Beta Member

We've had that happen 2-3 times over 3 years so it's not a regular issue. No idea on what triggers this to happen but as you mention, its not easy to rectify drawer issues in Square.

Message 32 of 89
Beta Member

Yes, we recently had the same issue a couple weekends ago. There is another thread that reported this problem and I called Support. I finally did a factory reset on our register but I'm not sure if that had much to do with resolving the issue. It did go away in a couple days and is now back to normal. The response we received from Support that it was being addressed by an update but we seemed to have the same software version when the issue resolved.

Here is the other thread:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-Register/Last-two-updates-have-forced-my-cash-drawer-to-re... 

Message 33 of 89
Square Community Moderator

I am really sorry you guys are still having this issue @vhovar @Gabberdunes @tremontcoffeeco !

If the fix that our team issued has not resolved this then you will need to contact support again. I know this is frustrating, but we cannot file tickets through the seller community. Letting our Customer Support Team know is going to be the best way for our engineers to resolve this. 

Thank you guys so much for working with us on this to get this resovled! 

Message 34 of 89
Beta Member

Well this is VERY frustrating!!! Just received a call from my opening manager and the system TURNED OFF the Cash Drawer option through the night so they can't even start a new drawer without my permission! I gave them my passcode to get into settings and they were able to turn the Cash Drawer option  back on but cannot get to the previous drawer to close it. Fortunately, I am able to see it from the Dashboard and can close it.

I will be calling Support but I really wish Square would quite messing around with the Cash Drawer and why would it get turned off overnight (assuming after a regular system restart)??

It had been fine for the past 2 weeks.

I'll check software versions once I get in and call Support.

Message 35 of 89
Beta Member

have they actively made this a feature update? its 2023 now and its been requested by many. i am just now learning how to use the cash drawer management and that was something i unfortunately messed up on. 

Message 36 of 89
Beta Member

No. Square only adds features they can charge us for.

Message 37 of 89

No, they haven’t. I must say it’s a benefit to the owner as you can not trust your employees ever to have that option. Therefore there would need be a code or secure option for us to alter the numbers. 

Message 38 of 89

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Tips Paid Out From Register" The author has been notified via email.

Is there a way to enter these (payouts) in after the drawer has been closed out?

Message 39 of 89
Beta Member

While this doesn't happen too often, there are occasions when we deposit a day's till and the amount doesn't match because of a counting error. On my old POS I was able to open a closed shift to make a correction but I can't find a way to do this on my Square Register. Is it possible to adjust a closed Cash Drawer Shift?

Message 40 of 89
Admin

@vhovar Thanks for your question! I moved your post to this thread because we don't currently have a way to edit a closed cash drawer, but this thread is where we're tracking this feature request.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 41 of 89
Beta Member

this feature should have been available from the beginning and dont see it being difficult for square to add. i have numerous amounts of errors due to new employees and other ex employees that i cant fix. why would square not give store owners the ability to edit closed drawers?

Message 42 of 89