x

Can a customer pay an invoice with the eGift card?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Egift card

I have a simple question I can't seem to find an answer to.

I generally use square for invoices. 

If I sell egift cards, can a customer pay an invoice with the egift card?

Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@Charli @VanKalkerFarms Yes you could use eGift Cards this way! But the big difference is that the eGift Card recipient can't use the gift card number to pay the invoice themselves.

Instead, the recipient would opt to link the eGift Card to their customer profile in your Directory. Then, they'd contact you to let you know they'd like to pay the invoice with the eGift Card. You'd add their customer profile to the invoice, and select their eGift card for the Invoice Method to charge it as the card on file. 

Also you're right, the eGift Card balance must cover the total amount of the charge. 

I hope this is helpful though I realize it might not work for every business! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Super Seller

It might be possible because the e-gift cards are also stored as a card on file for the customer.  I believe if the gift card is equal to or greater than the invoice total it will work.  at least that is how I am interrupting this post.  @Helen does this sound correct?

Message 2 of 19
Admin

Best Answer

@Charli @VanKalkerFarms Yes you could use eGift Cards this way! But the big difference is that the eGift Card recipient can't use the gift card number to pay the invoice themselves.

Instead, the recipient would opt to link the eGift Card to their customer profile in your Directory. Then, they'd contact you to let you know they'd like to pay the invoice with the eGift Card. You'd add their customer profile to the invoice, and select their eGift card for the Invoice Method to charge it as the card on file. 

Also you're right, the eGift Card balance must cover the total amount of the charge. 

I hope this is helpful though I realize it might not work for every business! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 19

Hi Helen,

I have the same situation here. I sent out some complimentary gift cards to past clients so they can use the gift cards as payments towards new photo sessions.

I see we can't apply $50 towards a $150 invoice.

Would the client be able to directly input the Gift Card into a Jotform with Square payments integrated?

If we can't redeem via an invoice, and if we can't redeem via a Jotform integrated with Square payments, where can the client redeem her Gift Card?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hi @rGRAYphotog and welcome to the Community!

Because the gift cards can't be used in invoices, the client would need to use the gift card portion they have in person and you can discount the invoice you send for the amount of the gift card they have.

Hope this helps!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 19

Thank you for your reply. But I really need to be able to accept the gift cards online. 

Message 6 of 19

This seems to be an flaw in the system that needs to be fixed. This is exactly why I wanted square gift cards and clients aren't able to actually use them online - frustrating. 

Message 7 of 19
Beta Member

Can Gift Cards be used to pay Invoices? I've found an old thread from 2017 that says this option isn't possible, but Square is working on it as it's a frequently requested feature. Below is a screenshot of the Square Gift Card FAQ page, and it reads that this is possible somehow. Looking for instructions on how to do this. Thanks!

question.PNG

Message 8 of 19
Admin

Hey @SustainLA-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. 

I moved your post over to this thread so you could take a look at the best answer by @Helen. Her post goes over a work around you can do in order to charge an eGift/Gift Card to pay an invoice.

We're still developing a feature where eGift/Gift Card will be it's own payment option on an Invoice, so you won't have to add it as a card on file for your customer. Thanks again for your post! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 9 of 19

Ideally if square gift cards can also be integrated into any square payments plugins so that they can be used on website, JotForm, etc. 

Message 10 of 19

This really seems like a very high priority - especially with shifting ways customers buy stuff from us. I'm having to GIVE a customer $20 credit, AND he gets to keep his eGift card - so, in the end somehow, my business is going to be out the $20.

Message 11 of 19

Can a physical gift card (not eGift card) be used to pay an invoice???

Message 12 of 19

Hey @holycowleather thanks for asking! The process for gift cards and eGift cards regarding invoices is still the same. You can use them to pay for an invoice if the customer's gift card is saved as a card on file and can cover the balance of the invoice itself. They can also be used to pay for an invoice if they are performing an in person payment for the invoice, but if the customer wants to pay the invoice over email with a gift card of any kind, they will not be able to. 

I've merged your post with an existing thread so we can keep all of these feature requests in one place for better tracking. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 13 of 19

I use Wix has my website platform.  Square and Paypal are my POS on my website.  However, customers are not able to use their e-gift cards when checking out.  I'm assuming this is because the Square e-gift cards are not supported through the Wix platform.  

My question is, if I send an invoice through Square to my customers, will they be able to pay their invoice using their e-gift card? 

Message 14 of 19

Hi @pradodelana and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been asked/answered already.

Check out @Helen's Best Answer for more details on how to do this.

Ashley C
Message 15 of 19

In 2022, we need clients to have the ability to redeem their gift cards when prepaying to book online. Square has decided to suddenly charge us for the option to hold a card on file. They need to make their gift cards redeemable. 

Message 16 of 19

Hi @SuN33,

Thanks for sharing your honest feedback with us and letting us know that this is an area you're hoping we improve. Gift cards can be saved as cards on file for Invoices on your point of sale, as well. Take a look at our guide here, and let us know how you go! 

Message 17 of 19

I'm a sole-practitioner massage therapist. Wix hosts my website. Through Wix, I require a 1/3 deposit per service scheduled online because many clients are sketchy about saving a card on file and will opt to book with businesses that do not have this requirement. I've gained clients by not having this requirement but am now losing the confidence of some because of the gift card issue.

Clients who are looking to redeem their gift cards can neither put them towards the deposit nor to prepay in full. I've spent three days trying to configure Appointments (through Square), not realizing that the issue was with Square and not Wix. It's a frustrating issue for all involved. One such family has over $1000 in gift cards to redeem. They should have the freedom to do so with pre-pay requirements. Square sells the cards. Square should allow them to be used, same as cash or debit, as intended.

Message 18 of 19

Hey there  @SuN33 

Stepping here to help @Arie. I believe we got a bit confused when you mentioned invoices. At this time Appointments does not support eGift Cards for Pre-Payments or No Show Protection. I will pass this over to our product team as a Feature Request for them to consider in future updates. 

In the meantime, what other Sellers do is you could set up a disclaimer on the service itself (so it's visible to your customer) that you will be sending an invoice for the deposit of the Service, and the appointment won't be confirmed until paid.

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 19 of 19