x

Can a gift card be loaded with more than the funds?

Hello! I would like to give bonuses on gift card sales.  Many restaurants do an extra $10 with a purchase of $50.  Can this process be done on a gift card?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

You would just load the gift card with the total amount you wanted, amount purchased plus bonus amount. Just charge the customer for the amount purchased. If they pay with a credit card you would need to do a split transaction so the total amount didn't get charged to the customers credit card.

Message 2 of 4

Thank you very much.  Will it prompt me for the difference? So, if I load it for $60, and I charge it for $50 to a credit card or cash,  how would I close out the difference? 

Message 3 of 4

Hello @Liz40

@Ron is spot on for this one. Once you've entered your total and hit charge look for the split option in the top right corner. This will allow you charge $50 dollars card or in cash for the gift card and then you can make the additional $10 dollars as Other.

The extra amount allocated on the gift card will be included on your sales report. So I recommend putting a note for these transactions so you can take them into account when you're balancing your books. 

If you still have questions please let one of us know! Our test it out for yourself, you can always refund it. 😀

Message 4 of 4