x
Super Seller

Can gift cards be accepted across different Square accounts?

I feel like I recall discussing a process, with Square a couple years ago, capable of allowing different Square Accounts to accept the same electronic gift card without being directly connected underneath one master account. Does anyone know if this is a possibility? 

In my business we have 4 locations, in our town. Each of them has seperate ownership and managment but all operate under the same brand. Three location are owned individually with one being jointly owned. We do not want to roll our seperate accounts underneath one master account but would like to joing the modern age of electronic gift cards and stop printing the paper versions we use now. 

We are not concerned with who collects the sale on the gift card. However, we would like them to be accepted at any of our locations. Anyone know of a way to pull this off?

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 1 of 32
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @Anthem! If you have created four different locations under the same master account your customers can buy a plastic Gift Card/eGift Card from any of your locations, and redeem them any of your locactions.

If you have four separate Square accounts (each with a different email address) then Gift Cards/eGift Cards purchased from those account cannot be redeemed across these separate businesses. 

I will surface your request with the Gift Cards team, I can see how useful this would be for businesses like yours (and your customers!) with separate accounts. We'll post any updates on this request as soon as they're available! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Alumni

Gift card cannot be accepted at 2 different businesses. You'll see an error message when processing a gift card payment on an account the gift cards were not ordered from. 

@GoodGuysPizza

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 32

When i order blank physical gift cards.
Can i use them to sell giftcard balances with different square accounts.

Message 23 of 32
Square Community Moderator

Hey @maybeonmonday and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread for this exact question.

Check out the answers above and the Best Answer for more details.

Ashley C
Message 24 of 32

Thank you for pointing my question to this thread but my question is different a little bit, it is about blank gift cards not gift card that have balance and is issued from a business to be used in a different business.

My question is if i order 1000 cards can i use 500 to sell from one account and another 500 from a different account, if someone has multiple accounts

Message 25 of 32
Alumni

Justin here, swooping in for Ashley! @maybeonmonday

I totally see what you're looking to accomplish here buy I'm afraid it's not doable. Gift cards cannot be loaded or redeemed across separate accounts. 

Justin
Message 26 of 32

thank you for the reply,
my question is can blank cards be used by multiple account to load balances on their specific account.
the question is not where they can be used across different account.

If i purchase 250 blanks cards, and i have two square account can i use the blank cards to sell gift card balances from both square account? (to be used in their specific account)

No to be confused, i am not trying to ask if the gift cards are interchangeably used across both accounts.

Message 27 of 32
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @eastvillage

Stepping in for JustinC here. 

If you have 2 separate accounts with different email addresses, you wouldn't be able to use the blank cards across.

If you want to use them across locations under the same email address, you are able to use the blank cards. 

Kassi
Message 28 of 32

I am looking at a solution for our support program to issue gift cards from our Square account and allow it to be use at businesses that are also using Square. Is this possible?

Message 29 of 32
Alumni

@HPuser - Kudos to your first post! 

Found the thread you're looking for. Merging you to it 🙂

Justin
Message 30 of 32

That’s a terrible idea. Super easy for an employee/franchisee to make a gift card at one business whose “collecting the cash” and then use the gift card at another store for full value of the fake card 

Message 31 of 32
Super Seller

@CaptreeTackle I see your point. Still, seems like there is a solution to this concern. I can think of dozens of franchise brands that sell gift cards that allow customers to use them at any location. Subway, chick-fil-a, and Starbucks are three of the most obvious. Some stores are corporate-owned, others have operators and some are independent franchisees. Still, gift cards work at any location. 

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 32 of 32