x

Can separate listings/items share inventory counts?

I create custom clothing (shirts, long sleeves, crew necks) in adult and kids sizes. Sometimes a design can be offered on the same color style/ shirt as another design. I want to use the item listings to focus on one design, but allow the customer to choose the color/ size based on what I make available. 

If I create an item, ex: Custom Design #1,  that includes an option for size (small, md, large, XL) and then another option for color (red and green), then my variations would be small, red; small, green; medium, red; medium, green, etc.... 

When I enter the stock under this item (Custom Design #1), does it only apply to this listing? My goal is to use some of the same size/color variations for other deigns, but don't want to have to worry about missing inventory recounts. Will it update across all listings that share the same variations? 

Example: create Custom Design #2, that includes a size option (small to XL) and color options (red and green). So now, Design #1 and Design #2 are separate items in my shop, but share the same exact size and color options. If someone buys Design #1 in a small, red - will the inventory count in Design #2, small/ red also update to show the sale? 

I really hope this makes sense. 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

HI, yes it makes sense.  No, it will not.  You can make one Option Set and apply to each item.  Each item would need to be tracked.

If all your designs are created when ordered, then you do not have to track inventory.

example 1 Option Set Size

example 2 A few options I have setup

*note see Stock, I am not tracking stock

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 12.29.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 12.29.33 PM.png

Hope This Helps!
TERRI

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Best Answer

HI, yes it makes sense.  No, it will not.  You can make one Option Set and apply to each item.  Each item would need to be tracked.

If all your designs are created when ordered, then you do not have to track inventory.

example 1 Option Set Size

example 2 A few options I have setup

*note see Stock, I am not tracking stock

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 12.29.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 12.29.33 PM.png

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 2 of 9

Thank you for the advice!!

I guess I was hoping there would be an easy way to make sure I didn't run out of a particular size/ color since I keep a handful of 'blank' apparel items in stock. 

If I have 5 red, 5 black and 5 grey t-shirts in stock in all sizes (small to XL) and post 3 different designs, which are offered as 3 separate listings on my website, I want to give the customer the option to choose either a red, black or a grey t-shirt in their size and it be actually available and not needed to be ordered in. So if there isn't a way for the available color/ sizes to 'talk' between listings then potentially I could sell out of a specific color/ size because it didn't show as 'out of stock'. 

Message 3 of 9

HI, yes, you are correct.  Rule of thumb, XS and S can have low inventory.  L and XL are very popular.  Always have Blue and Black.  If you can, have plus sizes available.  XXL is not equal to 1X or 2X.  XXXL is not equal to 3X.  The XX sizes are cut smaller.  

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 4 of 9

Seems pretty counter intuitive to not allow Variables in a single SKU to draw from the same inventory. Square should at least give you the option.

Message 5 of 9

Agreed! It's very frustrating trying to set up various items that all share the same variations and having to set each one up separately. 

Message 6 of 9

I have the same issue!  I sell Can coolers (Koozies) and have many different designs by koozie type and I dont want to keep a ton on hand but also don't want to have it not available if I do have it but had to split the inventory between multiple listings.  

Also I was hoping if I could add the inventory in the option set, I would be easier to pull inventory from square at year end instead of manually counting.

Seems like it should be a simple thing to be able to do.

Message 7 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Our team is working hard on finding a solution to track modifiers. Stay tuned for updates @S2R

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 9

Has there been any development here?

Message 9 of 9