x

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

I give my staff a discount on products but I do not want to allow a discount on travel size items.  Is there a way to mark them so they can not be discounted?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How do I restrict all discounts on purchases of alcohol?

It sounds like you would like the ability to restrict specific items from discounts, @burrito 🌯 
While this is not currently possible, you are able to select the categories and items that discounts apply to.

1. I would first recommend creating a category from your Dashboard to house all of your alcoholic beverages in.

2. Next, you'll create or edit a discount via your Discounts page.
    While here, toggle ON the Discount rules option in the Automatic discount section:

3. You'll want to select the Item or category option in the pop-up that appears here:

4. Next, you can select all categories that you would like the discount to apply to.
    Be sure not to select the category you created for your alcoholic beverages!

Please let us know if this isn't quite what you were looking to do, and we can dig in a bit more 

Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Hi @salon208 — welcome to the seller community! ✌🏻

Thanks for surfacing this. Currently, we don't offer the option to restrict discounts on specific items, though I can see how this feature would be helpful for many businesses like yours.

I'll be sharing your suggestion with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working to improve our products based on seller feedback. We'll certainly circle back with any other developments that may be useful.

Please keep in touch for updates and if you have any other questions, let us know!

189 Comments
Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion @HauntedBookShop. I can understand why it would be easier to select exclusions. Right now the best way to go about it would be to select everything you want to discount individually (up to 100 items). 

Beta Member

That's unfortunate as I probably have 10,000+ items that would need to be discounted

Admin

An quick update for everyone in this thread: Automatic Disounts are now available for Square Point of Sale! 🎉 

You can use Automatic Discounts to create a happy hour or a limited-time discount. For steps to create a discount rule read this Product Update post Automatic Discounts for Square Point of Sale app or visit the Support Center for step-by-step instructions to create automatic discounts.

This won't be exactly what everyone here is looking for but I hope it's a step in the right direction! 

Two questions:

1- Is there a way to mark an item as non-discountable as well?  There are items that we never want to be discounted.  

2 - Is there a way to not allow multiple discounts on an item?  This would be to prevent sales associates from accidentally toggling 2 discount buttons on an item. 

Thanks!

Alumni

Hi @Debbie19  - here are some answers: 

1 - we do not have a way to mark an item as non-discountable. When you create auto-apply discounts, you select items you want the discount to apply to leaving the items you don't want discounted unselected. (I am tracking this as a feature request).

2 - Auto apply discounts will only have one discount apply automatically and additional discounts would have to be added manually. If multiple discounts can apply to the same item, we apply the one that is best for the buyer automatically. 

Hi Debbie: This is the question I've been asking literally for YEARS.... since shortly after we began using Square. Don't know why there can't be an on/off switch similar to the taxable switch as items are set up, but I'm not a programmer. The way we "intend" for our volunteers to process orders is that after they have entered all items as well as the discount, they are to click on the individual item(s) that is/are non-discountable and turn off the discount for that item. Hope you picked up the "volunteer" term used. Since our folks may only work once every month or so, errors frequently happen and items which should not be discounted end up being discounted. It is very frustrating. Since we are a non-profit, I would rather err on the side of no discount rather than giving too much discount, so this "auto-discount" business was laughable at best.

Beta Member

Add me to the list of needing non-discountable items. Shouldn't be so difficult to get this necessary functionality implemented  

Hi,  I want to make a 10% discount to one specific catagorie.   I do NOT want this to apply to every sell.  

Again,I do not want them to apply automatically. 

Is this possible with square?

Thanks.

Admin

@wrbrunso You can create an automatic discount and apply it to the items in one specific category. The steps to set up an automatic discount are in the Support Center but keep in mind you can only create this type of discount from the Items section of your online Square Dashboard (not the app, yet).

If you were looking for something else, please let me know! 

@Helen ,

I do not want automatic discounts,as I do not want them to apply to every sell.

I'm talking about a categorie specific discount that is NOT applied automatically.

For example,  apply a discount 10% discount to my "Wine" Categorie.   The current setup takes 10% off my entire purchase.    I do not want this discount to automatically apply to every purchase, nor do I want it certain times or days.     

Is this something that can be down within square?

Thanks.