x
Highlighted
wrbrunso

Can you apply discounts based on categories? Not Automatic

Hi,  I want to make a 10% discount to one specific catagorie.   I do NOT want this to apply to every sell.  

Again,I do not want them to apply automatically. 

Is this possible with square?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Re: Can you apply discounts based on categories? Not Automatic

@wrbrunso You can create an automatic discount and apply it to the items in one specific category. The steps to set up an automatic discount are in the Support Center but keep in mind you can only create this type of discount from the Items section of your online Square Dashboard (not the app, yet).

If you were looking for something else, please let me know! 

Message 2 of 5
wrbrunso

@Helen ,

I do not want automatic discounts,as I do not want them to apply to every sell.

I'm talking about a categorie specific discount that is NOT applied automatically.

For example,  apply a discount 10% discount to my "Wine" Categorie.   The current setup takes 10% off my entire purchase.    I do not want this discount to automatically apply to every purchase, nor do I want it certain times or days.     

Is this something that can be down within square?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Thanks for the clarification @wrbrunso. Jumping in for Helen here!

We don't have the ability to create a discount that solely applies specifically to a category. This is a very popular request that we're continuing to track, so we'll make sure that we escalate this to our Product Team.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 5
ryanwanner Super Seller

Hey @wrbrunso as @Nika_ and @Helen mentioned, there isn't a way to have a discount specific to categories when you're not automating the discount, but there is a workaround.

Create the discount as usual.

When you're on the Point of Sale screen, ring up the item you want discounted. Then, tap on that item in the "tape" on the right side of the screen. A item modifier screen will appear, and you can apply the discount to that specific item from this screen.

A few words of warning:

-Yes, this means that the discount is available all the time for any item. Keep an eye on your staff!

-The per-item discount only works with percentage-based discounts. If you're wanting a dollar off style discount you'll have to apply it to the whole ticket.

Hopefully there will be a better solution from Square soon!

Message 5 of 5