x

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

I give my staff a discount on products but I do not want to allow a discount on travel size items.  Is there a way to mark them so they can not be discounted?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How do I restrict all discounts on purchases of alcohol?

It sounds like you would like the ability to restrict specific items from discounts, @burrito 🌯 
While this is not currently possible, you are able to select the categories and items that discounts apply to.

1. I would first recommend creating a category from your Dashboard to house all of your alcoholic beverages in.

2. Next, you'll create or edit a discount via your Discounts page.
    While here, toggle ON the Discount rules option in the Automatic discount section:

3. You'll want to select the Item or category option in the pop-up that appears here:

4. Next, you can select all categories that you would like the discount to apply to.
    Be sure not to select the category you created for your alcoholic beverages!

Please let us know if this isn't quite what you were looking to do, and we can dig in a bit more 

Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Hi @salon208 — welcome to the seller community! ✌🏻

Thanks for surfacing this. Currently, we don't offer the option to restrict discounts on specific items, though I can see how this feature would be helpful for many businesses like yours.

I'll be sharing your suggestion with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working to improve our products based on seller feedback. We'll certainly circle back with any other developments that may be useful.

Please keep in touch for updates and if you have any other questions, let us know!

189 Comments
Admin

Thanks for the clarification @wrbrunso. Jumping in for Helen here!

We don't have the ability to create a discount that solely applies specifically to a category. This is a very popular request that we're continuing to track, so we'll make sure that we escalate this to our Product Team.

Thanks again!

Super Seller

Hey @wrbrunso as @nika and @Helen mentioned, there isn't a way to have a discount specific to categories when you're not automating the discount, but there is a workaround.

Create the discount as usual.

When you're on the Point of Sale screen, ring up the item you want discounted. Then, tap on that item in the "tape" on the right side of the screen. A item modifier screen will appear, and you can apply the discount to that specific item from this screen.

A few words of warning:

-Yes, this means that the discount is available all the time for any item. Keep an eye on your staff!

-The per-item discount only works with percentage-based discounts. If you're wanting a dollar off style discount you'll have to apply it to the whole ticket.

Hopefully there will be a better solution from Square soon!

Has this ever been resolved? We are legally not allowed to offer discounts on specific items but I can't see a way to exclude them from being discounted. 

Alumni

We don't have a way to specifically prevent discounts from applying to specific items. You can set up auto apply discounts for specific items that require a passcode, and that means the discount will apply according to the rules set up in dashboard and to override requires a passcode. (you can set who has access to change items and discounts in general in permissions).

I want to know if there is a way to apply a discount to a specific category without it AUTO- applying it.

Example: We are a museum. We need to be able to offer a member discount on store merchandise, but not on membership sales. I want my desk staff to be able to ring up merchandise and a new membership at the same time, or merchandise and admission where the discount only applies to merchandise but not the categories of membership or admission.

It can't auto apply because if someone is not a member and they want to purchase merchandise they should not get the discount. 

It doesn't seem like this is possible currently, but this is very important to our business.

Admin

Hi @SPMUSEUM. I moved your question over to this thread so that you can take a look at @ryanwanner's workaround. Please let us know if you have other questions!

Beta Member

It would be nice to be able to set up discounts to skip items that already have a discount applied to them. The scenario here is when we are doing a store-wide sale and we would apply let's say 20% to the entire transaction through a cart discount. However, if there are individual items in the cart that have a larger discount (ie one item in the cart is 30% off) I don't want the 30% discount on the item to be combined with the 20% discount on the cart.

Admin

@mike109

We've moved this post to a thread where this has been requested and current work arounds are discussed. 

This has been a popular request for a while, and we'll continue to pass this to the team, as we do recognize this is an important feature for you and other businesses.

Is this an option yet? If not can you tell me how to remove the discount off of just 1 item on an invoice or a POS transaction.

Can you explain to me how to select specific items to discount.