x

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

I give my staff a discount on products but I do not want to allow a discount on travel size items.  Is there a way to mark them so they can not be discounted?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How do I restrict all discounts on purchases of alcohol?

It sounds like you would like the ability to restrict specific items from discounts, @burrito 🌯 
While this is not currently possible, you are able to select the categories and items that discounts apply to.

1. I would first recommend creating a category from your Dashboard to house all of your alcoholic beverages in.

2. Next, you'll create or edit a discount via your Discounts page.
    While here, toggle ON the Discount rules option in the Automatic discount section:

3. You'll want to select the Item or category option in the pop-up that appears here:

4. Next, you can select all categories that you would like the discount to apply to.
    Be sure not to select the category you created for your alcoholic beverages!

Please let us know if this isn't quite what you were looking to do, and we can dig in a bit more 

Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Hi @salon208 — welcome to the seller community! ✌🏻

Thanks for surfacing this. Currently, we don't offer the option to restrict discounts on specific items, though I can see how this feature would be helpful for many businesses like yours.

I'll be sharing your suggestion with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working to improve our products based on seller feedback. We'll certainly circle back with any other developments that may be useful.

Please keep in touch for updates and if you have any other questions, let us know!

189 Comments

@AshleyK 

Thank you for the update, to clarify the online Square Dashboard discounts do not crossover to Online Square store? Also, the coupon section in the online store does not have capabilities like passcode requirement either, correct?

Admin

Hey @TiffanyNR-

The discounts created in the Items section of the Dashboard will not show up on the Online Store. If you want a coupon to be used on the Online Store, you'll have to create it in the Coupons section of the Online Store settings. The two are separate, and you will not be able to use a coupon using Point of Sale.

I hope that clears things up! Let us know if you have any additional questions. 

@isabelle 

Thanks for clearing that up! I'd like to put in a request for this feature to be available. Specifically that discounts can have more features like Square POS. I know there are many requests for automatic (such as bogo), categorical, and passcode protected discounts.

Thank you!

Beta Member

I want to create a restricted discount with passcode that applies only to certain categories. However currently, there is only the automatic discounts feature that lets me pick what categories or items the discount can be applied to. I do not want the discount to be applied automatically. You think this is an easy fix? 

My situation: We are a restaurant in a mix use village. Residents are able to get 10% off for living here. But I only want the 10% off to be applied to food, not alcohol. 

Alumni

At the moment, we're currently tracking the feature request to assign discounts to certain categories on this thread. When new developments come, we'll find you to loop you in. 

In the meantime, check out Ryan's workaround above 🙂 @CTtaqueria

Hello! We have categories of items (Services, Memberships) that should not be discounted during day-to-day transactions. However, when we have a cart of items that should be discounted (products) along with these restricted items, the whole cart is discounted. We know we can toggle the discount off manually, but I worry that once we get busy our cashiers may forget. Is there a way to restrict discounts on these categories so we can more easily omit the potential human error? Thanks!

Alumni

Discounts cannot be restricted on a category level, only an item level. As you mentioned, you'll need to manually disable the discount by tapping the individual item in the Checkout panel and toggle off the discount. 

@metalmuseum

Hello 

If I want to have certain items exempt from discounts when I apply a discount to the entire transaction is this possible? 

For example if I scan 10 items in and want to apply a 10% discount but not give a discount on 2 of the 10 items can the system apply the discount in one go to the other 8 items without having to select each 8 items separately and apply the discount individually. 

If so how can this be done? 

Alumni

Hey sounds like you might be interested  in automatic discounts which enables discounts on certain items.

Check out the best answer on the first page of this thread I merged you to. @KiranLLLC

We have different discounts for staff, volunteers and members but do not discount Consignment items in our gift shop. We'd like to either be able to select the items (or categories) that are discounted (deselect those that are not discounted) and then choose the appropriate level discount at point of sale. For example, we do not discount consignment items but discount t-shirts for staff (20%), volunteers (15%) and members (10%). 

When these items appear in the same cart, then it is all discounted. We have to ring these things up separately and do two different transactions. It is cumbersome.

Michele