x
Highlighted

Can you keep customers from unlinking their card?

Can you keep customers from unlinking their credit card on file?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Admin

Re: Can you keep customers from unlinking their card

No @sperson69, there isn't a way to prevent a customer from unlinking their card on file. Can you reply here to let us know how this would help your business? Are customers unlinking their cards frequently?

Helen
Seller Community Manager, Square
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 17
Highlighted

Hi There! I see you're looking for feedback as to why this option would be valuable for us business owners. I own a spa and have been using square services including square appointments for about 5 years. My industry specifically would benefit from this feature being added because employees typically work on a commission basis therefore we have a pretty strict 24 hour cancellation policy to respect the staffs time along with guaranteeing the business doesn't miss out on potential income if someone no call no shows/cancels 10 minutes before their appointment. Every customer signs a contract stating they understand and authorize us to keep and charge their card on file for the cancellation policy. If a return client who's credit card we have on file books a $200 service for Friday afternoon, wakes up Friday morning and decides they'd rather go see a movie instead, they remove their credit card from their profile and then no-call-no-show us we have absolutely no way to recover those funds. Or if a new client books an appointment online, inputs their card info and agrees to the cancellation policy but then removes their card a few hours before the appointment, again, we have no way to recover those funds. 

Message 3 of 17
Highlighted

Instead of having customer cards on file and charging them manually for no-shows, why don't you enable no-show protection when they make a booking?

The card info they enter for no-show protection is different from you keeping their card info on file. If they were to remove their card info from their profile, from what I understand that would not affect the ability to charge a no-show fee for that missed appointment.

But to address the overall issue, I do not belive it is legally possible for Square to prevent customers from removing this information. If the customer wants it gone, it must be removed. And there must be an easily accessed, simple way for the customer to have it done.

I'm afraid no-shows are, to some extent, a simple cost of doing business many times. You can ban them from your business forever, and move on with life. Or, if the loss of funds is significant enough, you can sue them for causing damages to your business (though that probably isn't the greatest option). And if the cost is high enough and the risk of no-shows is high enough, you might consider prepayment or at least partial prepayment. Even then there is a chance of chargebacks of course, but some combination of the above is all one can reasonably do.

Message 4 of 17
Highlighted

If the client unlinks the only card on file, I have no way to enforce my no-show protection. Yes, I can invoice them, but I’ve done that and had clients never pay. In my business as a solo esthetician, time is money and I don’t want either wasted!

Message 5 of 17
Highlighted
Admin

Thanks for sharing your experience @CarolinaWax. We'll continue to track the feedback around this feature request. Hopefully we'll be able to share an update with you and others here sooner rather than later.

Nika_S
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 17
Highlighted

I am getting ready to leave square because of this. What is the point of offering the no-show protection if customers can shirk it by removing their card? Square has done nothing to change it, even though businessss are losing revenue and have  been complaining about it constantly. There is also no ability to block a customer from booking who abuses it. 

Message 7 of 17
Highlighted

Card on file

Hello, is there a way I can keep customers from removing the card they have on file? 

Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
Admin

Re: Card on file

Hey @Gasper and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post here for the answer and so you can input your feedback about this since it looks like you cannot stop them from removing their card. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 17
Highlighted

Re: Card on file

Hello,

The only real solution here is to book the services prepaid OR book it as a retail booking but prepay a deposit/cancellation policy. If your cancellation policy is the full amount you really should be prepaying these. The only reason people dont fully pay for reservations is because its flexible in cancellation or pay an excessive amount over for a prepaid but cancellable 

I wasnt going to respond to this post until something sorta alarmed me that may be in violation of eligibility to accept Visa, M/C, and Amex as SQUARE  as they all hold the same T/E (Travel and entertainment) rules regarding ancillary charges or damages up to the same basic point. I will preface I spent 4 year I a Fraud and Disputes Managament role (Just below legal arbitration in the process) and 3 years as a everything travel agent. Now ancillary charges from a Visa Compliance Case perspective were removed as a violation when reason codes disputes were eliminated and replaced with the shorter life cycle dispute process (left banking 2 days prior to the swap I can't remember what it's called now) But for damages where the merchant is T/E classified either domestically and the damage policy was acknowledged, usually done by check in jnvoice or if the merchant is Visa Europe . The merchant is entitled to charge the card for the damages without recourse. Now I'm guessing due to how massive the travel industry is and all its players there aren't a whole lot of square using T/E merchants. Especially those using it for Cars and Hotels the primary business for these occurances. And if they do they may a back end bookkeeper or accountant that reconciles the card information elsewhere on check in AND the reservations are likely prepaid. This creates 3 problems/questions to think on beyond "feedback" does every fully integratable solution with square keep the card coded where it's at "on file" (maybe we got a rogue one) and secondly since the point of sale and all formats square uses beyond its internal data fail to disclose Merhcant Category Codes MCC or ISO codes for Amex if a consumer were to dispute that transaction if  they had some other issue with a stay and incidentally didnt charge for damages, the Visa issuing bank would file compliance, it would be a loss against square (Visa takes a bit to enforce down hard several years after major changes they went through so prolly no fines). M/C would rule against the customer for services rendered but charge Square hefty fines for violation of accepting payment as T/E merchant. And Amex has been known to revoke priviledge  to be accepted as payment outright on first precedent alone and they would default to the consumer in addition. The last problem this brings up is I'm not sure how the business owner has her services setup but a solution would be to use a MCC/ISO classification or tagging AND require a checkbox similar to item/service is taxable when creating it asking if it a T/E service which would then inform the customer upon removal of thier card that they can still be billed in accordance with cancellation policy or damages after the fact (if the box was checked) you'd either have to back office this to square somewhere decoded card number for all T/E tagged transactions or stat the onus is on the business owner for failure to classify it as such. That's it rant done. I'd triple check that myself. It could have changed in the 2 years I've been out of banking but yeah...

Message 10 of 17