x

Can you log in to the Square App with out internet for offline mode?

Do I have to be connected to the internet to login?  I have an iPad 2, 16GB running IOS Ver. 9.3.5.  The iPad has Wi-Fi but does not have 3/4G.  If I am connected to Wi-Fi I can log in just fine but if the Wi-Fi is turned off then I can't login and use offline mode.

I was under the assumption that if I had offline mode turned on (which I do) I should be able to use the Register in stand-alone mode.  Is this not the case or am I doing something wrong?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

You have to login while connected to the internet.  Just don't log off and you can use offline mode. (in the linked article it says your device must be connected recently but I don't know what that is defined by days, weeks?)

Just be careful with offline mode because any fraudulent, or no balance, or expired cards, or closed account cards will not be paid and there is no way to contact them for repayment.  you have to connect within 72 hours for the payments to be valid. 

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5095-process-payments-with-offline-mode

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Super Seller

Best Answer

You have to login while connected to the internet.  Just don't log off and you can use offline mode. (in the linked article it says your device must be connected recently but I don't know what that is defined by days, weeks?)

Just be careful with offline mode because any fraudulent, or no balance, or expired cards, or closed account cards will not be paid and there is no way to contact them for repayment.  you have to connect within 72 hours for the payments to be valid. 

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5095-process-payments-with-offline-mode

Message 2 of 19
Square

@VanKalkerFarms - You've got it. 👌🏻

@bluedoorart - Since VanKalkerFarms's answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find their response if they have the same question. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 19

Hey! I had this same problem, too. I made sure I was logged in to the app, and in offline mode before I left for the event, but when I got there and tried to open the app to check people out in offline mode, I had somehow gotten logged out of the app and couldn't get back in. It resulted in a crazy day of many lost sales, and making us look highly unorganized. Maybe Square should think about a fix to this issue.

Message 4 of 19

What does off line mode mean?

Message 5 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @reginaruthhearn - thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! Good to hear from you again.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who also had questions regarding Offline Mode. This Best Answer from VanKalkerFarms will give you all the info you need - including a link to our Support Center article on Offline Mode.

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions! We are here to help. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 19

I have enabled offline mode but whenever I go to open the app in a non-coverage area the point of sale screen keeps asking to connect to the internet. The red offline mode line appears on the top but no screen to enter the amount and swipe the card. Is Offline mode not a true offline mode but a network glitch mode (momentary as opposed to temporary) if the app is already open and running? If I start the day with the network down will the app not start?

Message 7 of 19

It seems to work on my droid with a broken headphone jack. but not on my tablet that has a working headphone jack.

Message 8 of 19

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “How do I open the Square point of sale while offline?”. The original author has been notified via email.

Hi @Taxidave007 

Check out @VanKalkerFarms previous answer in this existing thread. 

If you're already signed in you should be able to take Offline Mode payments with no trouble. 

However, if you're signed out and have absolutely no internet connectivity, you might have trouble signing into your account. 

Message 9 of 19
Super Seller

I don't use offline mode but tens of thousands of people do use it and it is for 100% offline capability.  I'm not sure as you are on android also and I have no experience there.  I would try killing the app, restarting the app, and shutting the device off and on.  might need to do a reinstall of the app also.

Message 10 of 19

The app won’t open when at a client’s unless connected to WiFi.  What is the problem ? Was not able to take a CC pmt today since it wouldn’t connect to their internet. My phone is up to date.

This is embarrassing.  

Message 11 of 19
Admin

Hey @Dawnglo, very sorry to hear about this. 😕

Are you still encountering trouble with accepting payments? If you haven't had the chance already, you may want to enable Offline Mode, which will allow you to accept payments without a WiFi or data connection. For more information, have a look at this article: Enable Offline Mode.

Note: if you've accepted payments with Offline Mode, be sure you're able to reconnect your mobile device to the internet within 72 hours—otherwise they will expire.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction going forward. Please don't hesitate to reply here if any other questions or concerns come up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 12 of 19

I'm having the same issue. Offline mode is enabled but the app won't even open in I'm not connected to Wifi

Message 13 of 19
Alumni

@RabbitFood Although offline mode might be enabled, you still need internet to sign into your account. Offline mode kicks if internet goes down while you're already signed in. 

Justin
Message 14 of 19

How do I make sure that in areas of poor internet service via my cell phone that I can still process sales but upload them when I am reconnected to the internet?

Message 15 of 19

Hi @TidalCreekLLC and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to an already existing thread in the Community on offline mode.

Check out @VanKalkerFarms best answer for more details and a helpful link from the Support Center on offline mode. 

Ashley C
Message 16 of 19

If I  log in the morning will I stay logged in in a no internet environment

Message 17 of 19

If I  log in in the morning will I stay logged in all day in a no internet environment?

Message 18 of 19
Super Seller

Yes, you will stay logged in, but you will only have an offline mode to accept payments that will then process once you connect online.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7777-process-card-payments-with-offline-mode

Message 19 of 19