x

Feature Request: Sound notification for Point of Sale sales?

Feature Request: Sound notification for Point of Sale sales?

I think it would be great if there was a way to have notifications sent to my phone like a “cha-Ching” whenever I had a sale at my shop. When I’m not at the shop, I am constantly checking my phone to see the sales. 

0 Likes
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can you make the Square Contactless and Chip Reader beep when the sale is over?

Not sure if this is too easy or what but...when I run a cc transaction using the chip card reader I stand there with the customer and when the transaction says OK...or whatever it says...I take the card out of the chipreader and hand it to them. Not only is it good service I think it is my responsibility to make sure the card goes home with the customer not the other way around. Just saying.

23 Comments

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "How can I get the POS to make a noise when a chip card is left in the contactless chip reader?"

We are experiencing regular instances when the customer is leaving their card in the contactless chip reader after completing the sale and leaving before anyone notices. Except for rare instances, we have no way of contacting/tracing a customer once they leave our shop.

Once a sale is complete, except for Square, all the chip reading POS systems I have experienced make a continuous, unique, noise until the customer removes the card from the chip reader and it is clear that this is a real need. One of the main reasons we purchased the contactless chip reader was so our customers would not have to give their card to the cashier to complete the sale. However, the lack of a clear signal reminding them to remove their card from the reader is a serious problem.

If anyone is aware of a way to get the Square POS terminal system to generate some sort of continuous, audible signal to remind the customer to remove and take their chip card I would really like to know about it. On the other hand, if there is currently no way to accomplish this, I ask the Square moderator to please raise this concern to the POS terminal development group. This is only a problem with the contactless chip reader as the other card readers require the cashier to handle the card.

Super Seller Alumni

We’ve definitely experienced the same thing and we think some kind of notification or warning would be fantastic. Whether it’s something like the sound like you mentioned, or an additional reminder on the PoS app itself, it’s definitley a need. 

It seems that the sequence of tip/signature could solve this problem. If the software wouldnt advance to the tip or signature screen until the card has been removed. This is the only good feature of the Clover system

Not sure if this is too easy or what but...when I run a cc transaction using the chip card reader I stand there with the customer and when the transaction says OK...or whatever it says...I take the card out of the chipreader and hand it to them. Not only is it good service I think it is my responsibility to make sure the card goes home with the customer not the other way around. Just saying.

I don't think it's good service.  You shouldn't have to handle someone's card at all.  The system should obviously have the option to make a noise to remind people to take their card.  

Hello @winecountry

Our Square Contactless and Chip Card reader does make a beep when a transaction is complete. If your reader doesn't make the beep after processing a transaction please let me know. 

It's very subtle, and beeps so quickly I thought that it meant the card was inserted rather than done.  If we don't remind people to take their card, they end up leaving it often.  The beeps at the grocery store are annoying, yet they are effective.

We are very much have the same problem and have been having it for a long time! We just had a customer leave her card right now. Please Please Please help! 

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @gstickar - thanks for adding your voice to this thread.

A "card-remains inserted" noise or notification is still considered a Feature Request within Square. If there is any traction or news to share on this feature, we will be sure to update every here on this thread.

Thanks for hanging tough!

I actually found my way to this thread looking for a way to slightly reduce the volume or even change the tone.  As far as merchant tones go, it's rather good, I like that it doesn't repeat and only alerts once.

It would be amazeballs if Square could include a small suite of sounds to choose from, such as those found standard on mobile platforms.  Personally, the tones heard in typical grocery stores and pharmacies are jarring and awful.  Perhaps that is needed in certain settings, whereas my business transaction environment is in a smaller quieter space in a professional setting. 

Thanks for reading my feedback.