x
Highlighted

Can you make the Square Contactless and Chip Reader beep when the sale is over?

How do I force my chip reader to make a sound when the customers credit card is accepted?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 18
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can you make the Square Contactless and Chip Reader beep when the sale is over?

Not sure if this is too easy or what but...when I run a cc transaction using the chip card reader I stand there with the customer and when the transaction says OK...or whatever it says...I take the card out of the chipreader and hand it to them. Not only is it good service I think it is my responsibility to make sure the card goes home with the customer not the other way around. Just saying.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Square

Re: chip reader sound

While your should hear a slight beep when a chip card or contactless payment is completed, there's not currently a way to make this louder.

Having said that, I know that our product team has been looking at ways to improve the notification, and I'll be sure to pass along your thoughts on the subject! 

Message 2 of 18
Highlighted

Is there a way to have the chip reader beep to remind customers to take their card after the purchase? So many of my customers forget it and I find myself running after them or googling them to try to return it to them. Thank you!

Message 3 of 18
Highlighted
Square

@GoodJuju - The reader actually does make a beeping noise, it's probably just hard to hear. I think there are definitely ways for us to improve this process, like adding a message to the register screens. I'll be sure to share your feedback! 

Message 4 of 18
Highlighted

It's almost a year later after the response to this post and still no sounds to remind customers to take their card. I'm finally searching for results on this after dealing with this issue, running after customers are having customers forget their cards in the reader. Every other store and chip reader has this functionality. Please build in some kind of reminder or sound. 

Message 5 of 18
Highlighted
Admin

Hi @NStyle - Not sure if you already saw Sean's comment above, but the chip readers actually do have a beeping sound as well as flashes green once the transaction is complete.

Message 6 of 18
Highlighted

I did see but the beeping sound can't even be heard. I have two separate stores with the readers and neither beeps. Perhaps your referring to if it is connected via Bluetooth?

Message 7 of 18
Highlighted
Admin

@NStyle - Hm, that's strange. 🤔 The readers should still beep even when connected to the Square Stand. If it's just that the volume is low then we will keep passing on the feedback about volume adjustments to our Product Team so they can improve upon it. If it's not making any sounds at all, contact us directly and we'll see if we need to send you another reader.

Message 8 of 18
Highlighted

How can I get the POS to make a noise when a chip card is left in the contactless chip reader?

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "How can I get the POS to make a noise when a chip card is left in the contactless chip reader?"

We are experiencing regular instances when the customer is leaving their card in the contactless chip reader after completing the sale and leaving before anyone notices. Except for rare instances, we have no way of contacting/tracing a customer once they leave our shop.

Once a sale is complete, except for Square, all the chip reading POS systems I have experienced make a continuous, unique, noise until the customer removes the card from the chip reader and it is clear that this is a real need. One of the main reasons we purchased the contactless chip reader was so our customers would not have to give their card to the cashier to complete the sale. However, the lack of a clear signal reminding them to remove their card from the reader is a serious problem.

If anyone is aware of a way to get the Square POS terminal system to generate some sort of continuous, audible signal to remind the customer to remove and take their chip card I would really like to know about it. On the other hand, if there is currently no way to accomplish this, I ask the Square moderator to please raise this concern to the POS terminal development group. This is only a problem with the contactless chip reader as the other card readers require the cashier to handle the card.

Message 9 of 18
Highlighted
Super Seller

Re: How can I get the POS to make a noise when a chip card is left in the contactless chip reader?

We’ve definitely experienced the same thing and we think some kind of notification or warning would be fantastic. Whether it’s something like the sound like you mentioned, or an additional reminder on the PoS app itself, it’s definitley a need. 

Message 10 of 18