x

Can you mark a Square Online website category as invisible?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Marking Category “Invisible”]

My store currently has two categories  Is there a quick way to change one entire category to “Invisible”? Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Thank you for that information @Relicroadtx,

I've ran this by our Online Store Team and currently there is no way to hide an entire category, it would be considered a feature request. 

We definitely see how this could benefit your business model. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Alumni

Hi @Relicroadtx,

Thanks for reaching out on the Seller Community. 

In order to make sure i'm understanding, what website builder did you use to create your site (Wix, Weebly, GoDaddy, WooCommerce etc.)? Also, can you provide the URL to your website/page? Thank you!

Please let me know by replying in this thread. I'll keep an eye out for your response.

Alex_
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 14

Hi Alex, I used Weebly. My store is relicroadhouse.square.site. Thanks for your help

Message 3 of 14

Sorry Alex, my store is relicroadtx.square.site

Message 4 of 14
Alumni

Best Answer

Thank you for that information @Relicroadtx,

I've ran this by our Online Store Team and currently there is no way to hide an entire category, it would be considered a feature request. 

We definitely see how this could benefit your business model. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Alex_
Message 5 of 14
Beta Member

Please make it possible to hide a category. When Iʻm working on one I donʻt want it visible until Iʻve got it ready, but apparently as soon as I create one and add items and Save, anything in it appears in the Shop All section and the only fix is to delete the category. This is not very efficient for us!

Message 6 of 14

Hello, I just wanted to tag in on BethanyReynolds issue as well. As I am setting up my store (no where near done) when I am ready to launch, all of my categories are not going up at the same time, yet have worked hard to create them, so I don't want to delete them to start all over when I am ready for them. I just want to be able to click them on, make any adjustments needed, and keep going. As I can hide items, I am aware--but to have a list of Categories to be visible and clickable by customers but not have products ready makes my store look unprofessional and un prepared. I would be appreciative of such a feature as well. Thank you

Message 7 of 14
Alumni

Thanks for adding your vote to this thread @ButterflyHouse. Hopefully we can update this thread with good news in the near future ! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Message 8 of 14
Beta Member

Making categories invisible or hiding them seems like such a basic feature to me. Can't understand why we can't do it. I now have to delete about 20 categories because I can't hide them which means when I am able to open up my bar fully again I have to spend hours putting items back into categories.

Message 9 of 14

We utilize Square for 4-6 specific fundraising sales for our non-profit gardening organization.  Due to the seasonal nature of our items for sale there are certain categories that are not available at each sale.  It would be helpful if we could make the categories invisible rather than have to delete a category and then re-establish it later since this leaves room for human error and items missed.  Please consider it as a future enhancement.  Thank you!

Message 10 of 14

Any update on this in the works of happening???

I love to keep my inventory organized so I know what I have where but all the breakdown doesn't need to be seen by my customers.

Message 11 of 14

Hello, since I started this post there have been a couple of suggestions from users that have maneuvered their own work around, however, I didn't find they worked for my store, and though great suggestions, didn't fare for my use. So in a heart clenching, discouraging update  I have trashed the Whole Store. I wiped it and completely started it over from scratch. Now I admit, for some that action may seem a tad extreme. But the annoyance of re-doing al my hard work, did not out weigh the annoyance of my store listing categories to my customers that were not ready for sale all at the same time, and didn't like the impression it would make about my store to my customers. I am sure I trashed it completely over the fact it annoyed me more than anything and the action was taken in a child-like temper tantrum, but I did. LOL. I copied all the 'descriptions' elsewhere, made some products 'hidden', but Category wise, wiped it. I am sorry to have to report this as my update, but it's all I got. Square had not provided a solution or has made it an option to hide categories, so its trash them, or have an incomplete list for your store/customer. Though I do not expect anyone to go to my extreme, it may be a little much-but other working Square options have not been provided or fostered in to the program. My goal of doing the Categories pre-launch was to have the store done, and focus my time on order production, however, I will now have to do a back and forth game each time a new category or product is ready to release/launch which will prove time consuming and cause delays.

Thanks!

Message 12 of 14

I just tried adding an UNDER CONSTRUCTION memo before my category name and that kind of worked-

Message 13 of 14
Admin

Not a bad way to communicate that the category isn't ready for shopping yet, @Sth575. Thanks for sharing!

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 14 of 14