x

Can you print labels for only in-stock items?

I did a price update on many items in one category and simply want to print new tags for all the in-stock items I have in that category. The problem is that I have many items in that category that have a zero quantity, however Square Retail Plus gives all those items a quantity of 1, when listed for label printing. I have had that on many other pos systems, but they all gave an option to not list or print tags for items with 0 quantity. My print label list is not short and unfortunately it also lists in a different order then what I exported and printed out, so at first I thought I would just go down the line and remove all the items that said 1 but should have been 0 quantity, but since they are not in the same order it would take forever to verify which items actually have 1 item in stock and which items actually have 0 in stock (and not the 1 listed). Any ideas? Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @DEJ 

Welcome to the Seller Community. I will be tagging various Super Sellers that may have knowledge in this matter and will hopefully shine a light on this situation. 

@HC_Charlie  @JupiterGames  @Doran  @londontea @page158

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 11

Thank you, that would be great.

Message 3 of 11
Super Seller

Sorry I can't offer any insight here....I'm not familiar with Square for Retail adding the quantity of one; this seems like a glitch? Not sure why it's adjusting the quantity for this automatically.

Message 4 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for the swift response @HC_Charlie

@DEJ I can also suggest reaching out to our Retail team (if you haven't done so yet) to see if this is an unexpected behavior on the platform. Please reach out by phone when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 11

Hi JJ,

I don't think it is unexpected behavior, I just don't think it is offered, but I am hoping I am wrong and just missed something. If I don't see anything that answers that question here, I will take your advice and reach out to your retail team.

Thank you,

Message 6 of 11

Hi Charlie, In my experience most POS's did this (added 1 to quantity of zero actual items) or offered this, mainly because of when people wanted "shelf" tags and not individual tags. People might want to update a "shelf" tag even if they currently have no items to put in that spot. But all the POS's allowed you to turn off or on this feature, but I don't see that on Square.

I really feel Square could improve this aspect of it's software, for example even allowing a better filter for coming up with a list to print tags, they have it so you can do categories for example, but not by vendor, which I would think would be easy to include.

Thank you for your response!

Message 7 of 11
Super Seller

Good morning @DEJ -

I'm sorry to say that we're in the same boat here - I've not been able to print tags for only the in-stock items in a category. I'll be following this thread, though, on the chance that one of our fellow Square sellers has a workaround.

Mindi Rogers Green [she/they]
Managing Partner

Jupiter Games - Friendly Local Game Store & Event Center
A place for all who ❤️ games, specializing in board & card games, roleplaying books & miniatures, tabletop wargaming models, paints & hobby tools, dice, and more!

https://JupiterGames.Shop
Message 8 of 11

If I find an answer elsewhere, I will make sure to post it here. Fingers crossed!

Message 9 of 11
Super Seller

I've given it some thought but can't think of any work arounds for this. 

I rarely print labels for more than 20 SKUs at a time, so this hasn't been an issue for me. I could give a wall of text on improvements I'd like to see with the label generation system, which is fantastic but could certainly use more features and customization (especially for businesses with large item libraries). 

Message 10 of 11

Thank you for your reply, yes, I agree there could be a lot of improvement in this area. 

One "work around" that I could use, but really it was just out of dumb luck, was to just go down the long list and remove every item that only had 1 item left in stock. I just lucked out that most of the items in the list had more than 1 item in stock, so I just had to go back in later and add back the 10 or so items that actually had 1 item in stock. But if I had many items with only 1 in stock, it really wouldn't work. We often have to print tags for many different SKUs, but luckily that is normally based off a purchase order, so that avoids this problem, but when trying to do the same thing while not using a purchase order (just updating or replacing old tags), then it becomes a real pain.

Message 11 of 11