x

Cannot process and print at the same time?

I have been using square on a tablet and processing over a 4G network. I just bought a printer and hooked it up to an old router. Now I can print reciepts just fine but the sales don't process because I'm not connected to the internet? I still need to use the 4G connection in my tablet to process but need to use the wifi to connect to the router for printing. How do I make this work? Sorry if the question has been asked but I cant find a solution anywhere?  I am using android. Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Unfortunately, I think I have bad news for you.  An iPad or an android tablet can only use the built-in LTE modem OR use the wifi for connections, but not both at the same time.  If you got a Bluetooth printer, you could process cards and print at the same time, or if you had a square stand and a USB printer you could print and use the built-in LTE at the same time.

We use wifi both to connect to our internet and to connect to our printers.

Message 2 of 5
Square

Thanks for posting, @andydolan1. As @VanKalkerFarms noted, this won't be possible as ethernet printers and the device you use for payments need to be on the same wifi network, unfortunately. Are you not able to connect the tablet to the wifi as well?

Message 3 of 5

It is mobile, I don't have wifi internet. My set up is like this: 4g LTE Tablet running square over mobile data. Wifi router and printer. I can connect to print but not process OR process but not print. At this point I have equal amounts of money sunk into the tablet and the printer, what is the cheapest way to make this configuartion work

Message 4 of 5
Square

That configuration, or any ethernet printer, will require wifi in order to work I'm afraid. Both the printer and the device have to be connected to the same wifi network. It's possible that you could use a mobile wifi hotspot in order to connect the two. These are usually an additionally line with your cellular carrier, however. 

If you're able to return your printer, a USB printer would be a good option instead, as it would allow you to connect directly to the device and use the device's 4G connection. USB printers can connect to Android devices with the use of an USB OTG (On-The-Go) adaptor. (See also: Supported Hardware for Android Devices.)

Hope that helps, thanks for following up @andydolan1.

Message 5 of 5