x

Can I transfer my Square Account?

I set up the our Square to link to our Cub Scout Pack to use for fundraising sales and parents to pay dues.  My son has now grown out of Cub Scouts and going to Boy Scouts and I am moving with him as well and will no long serve as the Cub Master and manage the Pack.  Is there a way to transfer the account name/owner to the new Cub Master.  The Bank account will stay the same

Thanks in advance.

John

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 53
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

Happy to chime in here. Because each Square account is tied to the account holder's SSN and the SSN isn't something that can updated on an account, we not currently able to transfer account ownership.

In cases where the original account holder is no longer associated with the business or organization, we recommend that a new Square account be created by the new business owner or the person who would administer the new account. When a new account is created, the same EIN and bank account can be used.

If you need a refresher on setting up a new account, check out this Support Center.

If you're the new owner of the business or organization and you'd like a CSV file (spreadsheet) of the account's transaction history, please let us know by reaching out directly. Just as an FYI,  to share this information with you, our Compliance Team will request documentation proving your relationship with the business or organization. 

​Thanks for your understanding and feel free to post any follow up question!

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 53
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @amy5! This is a great question! Thanks for reaching out to us here for the first time on the Seller Community 👋 Happy to have you - even if it's for a (what is sounds like) a short time.

I've gone ahead and merged your post with a similar thread of Sellers who were also asking similar questions. I would recommend looking into this Help Center Article regarding the editing of account ownership - it should answer all of your questions and direct you to some next steps.

Let me know if you have any questions! I am here to help.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 31 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

If you think it is hard so far, try getting the DNS and domain names addressed 🙂

I have given up and will vote with my feet.

Message 22 of 53

Our current owner is no longer an employee of the organization. How do I change the owner?

Message 23 of 53
Square

Hi @lakemcmurtry — It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out the "Best Answer" in this thread for more details. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 24 of 53
Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread

I need to change ownership of my square account without completely starting over. Is this possible? 

Message 25 of 53
Admin

Hi @dlewis.Unfortunately, at this time we can't transfer account ownership. I've merged your post to this thread where you can read more about why this is the case, and the next steps to create a new account.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 26 of 53

I absolutely cannot believe that there is no way to transfer information from one account to another. If you want to sell your business, if a business partner leaves and you need to transfer the account to a different owner, you can’t. That’s absurd!!! Your business will potentially lose value; “I’ll sell you my business but you can’t have the information associated with it.” AND....half the emails technically don’t belong to me. Now I have to build my Square business from scratch after 4 years of business. I’m definitely researching other processing systems. 

Message 27 of 53

How do I change the owner of our existing account? We have a new business process and the owner and social need to be under a different employee, now do I change the "owner."

Message 28 of 53
Super Seller Alumni

Unfortunately, ownership of a current account can't be transfered.  See this site to learn what Square suggests you do in your case.  Good luck!

Judy T Shumway
Message 29 of 53

Hello! I am leaving my position with my organization soon and wanted to know how to change the Owner name on our account, since it currently states my name as the Owner. I set up the account and remember having to use my name, SSN, etc. Now that I'm leaving, I need to make sure that my name, SSN, etc. is no longer associated with this account. What do you recommend? 

Thank you!

Message 30 of 53

Best Answer

Hi there, @amy5! This is a great question! Thanks for reaching out to us here for the first time on the Seller Community 👋 Happy to have you - even if it's for a (what is sounds like) a short time.

I've gone ahead and merged your post with a similar thread of Sellers who were also asking similar questions. I would recommend looking into this Help Center Article regarding the editing of account ownership - it should answer all of your questions and direct you to some next steps.

Let me know if you have any questions! I am here to help.

Joe
Message 31 of 53

We are buying a business with multiple registers, web presence, kitchen/front of house operations, gift and loyalty cards, payroll etc.

I am surprised there is no information, documentation, process to follow on how to make this transfer. The business can not close for weeks to set up new systems, customers and web orders arrive every day. All we have been told is to set up an account - which we did. No details on how to MIGRATE the web component. no details on how to MIGRATE payroll except to re-enter everyone manually. 

Businesses change hands every day, I cant believe there is no a document/process for this.

Simon

Message 32 of 53

Hey @sweetmadeleines,

Thanks for writing in, I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 🙂

We have a few useful resources for transferring items, payroll, and customer directories between Square accounts. 

Take a look at this article for instructions on how to transfer items between Square Accounts.

We look forward to reading your response! 

Frida
Message 33 of 53

How do I edit owner to reflect change in officer?

Message 34 of 53

Hey @PBentson! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a relevant thread that exists already for this question.

Check out @Sean's best answer on the first page for more details. 

Ashley C
Message 35 of 53

I have recently taken over a business that has a square account already set up in the ipad they used with the cash register. I have updated my bank account information on ipad but I don't see how I can change the account completely so it is my account and not the previous owners. I still want to keep the same item library that is already on the square app though. How do I do this?

Message 36 of 53

Hi @kethmae and welcome to the Seller Community and on your new business! That's super exciting. 

I've merged your post to an existing thread that will help answer your question. Changing the name on the account is not possible with Square, so you can choose to either create a new account in your name and transfer the library over (which I highly recommend for account security) or continue using this account if you will remain in contact with the business owner under good terms. If you choose the second option, please know that the original account owner has full control of the account and can call to change the email, password, bank, or access to the account at any time, which is why I recommend creating a second account so you can maintain control over your new business. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 37 of 53

Hey, I am having difficulty changing my settings from being a business owner. I currently started using this app and when i first was setting up my account I pushed the wrong option and now it's showing up like I am the business owner instead of an employer. Is there any way I can change that? So i can access my account correctly and start getting paid?

Message 38 of 53

Hi @Cass1 and welcome to the Seller Community! I've merged your post with an existing thread that helps to answer your question. We don't support transfers of account ownership at this time, so if you are an employee, you will need to deactivate this Square account and have the business owner sign up for the Square account themselves. 

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions!

AshleyK
Message 39 of 53

I'm in healthcare and I would like to remove the option for clients to add a tip to their receipt/invoice. Thank you.  

Message 40 of 53

Hi @CPC2 I've merged your post with an existing thread, albeit on how to add tip, but the reason I did this was so you could have access to the help article referencing managing tipping on the Point of Sale app. You can add/remove the ability to tip in the same area, under Settings.

You can remove tipping on your invoices as well by managing your invoices settings on the Square Dashboard.

AshleyK
Message 41 of 53

@AshleyK I don't believe this is actually the correct thread that this question belongs on.. as we're talking about account ownership. Nothing to do with tipping. 

Message 42 of 53