x

Collect partial payment on an invoice?

I am suggesting the addition of the feature to edit invoice options when you are sending an estimate. Example: I am sending an estimate and would like to request only a 50% deposit when accepted. 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 31
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I collect partial payments from the app?

@ARS25901 

You should have this option available now for use on your device. Please let us know if you have any furthers issues.

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @kate_taflinger-

You can add a payment schedule, as partial payments towards an invoice:

Is that what you're referring to? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 31
Admin

Best Answer

@ARS25901 

You should have this option available now for use on your device. Please let us know if you have any furthers issues.

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 18 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Nuggettheartist and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already on how to set this up.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 31

I have always been able to set up a payment schedule for my customers so that I can collect 50% down payment prior to starting a job. As of a few weeks ago that option disappeared. When I call in to talk to someone, they tell me I have to select reoccurring payment, NO.... I want 1/2 down not the same payment every month. Why has this feature disappeared??  or what has it changed to?? 

Message 23 of 31
Admin

@sparkleoncustom 

If you don't have the deposit option currently, this may be because you are allowing ACH payments on invoices. We're not currently able to accept ACH as partial payments at this time, although it is something we are working on for the future. So if you have ACH enabled + want to take a deposit, it will limit you to one or the other. and recurring payment options with ACH becomes the work around.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 24 of 31

In the past customers have been able to partial pay a Square invoice sent via email. They and I can no longer find this option. I've looked in settings, invoice settings, etc. and cannot find any way to allow partial payments.

We recently switched to doing ALL our invoices via Square as opposed to PayPal and our customers miss this option.

Message 25 of 31

Hi @SeasideStonesME Thanks for reaching out!

I've merged your question with an existing thread on how to collect a partial payment on a Square Invoice. Please see the best answers from @ kellyj and @ Isabelle_

If you have any additional questions, please let us know!

- Alanah

Violet
Message 26 of 31

Kellj's answer is for in-person; that is not the case for us. Isabelle's answer would probably work, but I cannot find Add Payment Schedule on my invoices or in my invoice settings. Where can I find it?

Thank you

Message 27 of 31

Hey there, @SeasideStonesME

Jumping in on this one. 

Are you using the ACH option on your invoices? If so, then the payment schedule will not be available. 

If you don't, it will show underneath the Total after you add an item to the invoice. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions or run into any issues. 

Kassi
Message 28 of 31

Kassi, thank you!!! That worked 😀

Message 29 of 31

So I recently ran across the issue of not being able to accept payments from my customers. With my business my customers frequently have large invoices and the ability to make payments is a huge plus. 

If I am understanding correctly I either have to turn off the ACH option and then I can either take 2 payments on the invoice (deposit and the remainder) or I can pay square an additional fee and upgrade to plus to be able to accept multiple payments? Also, to use the 2nd option I have to set dates and amounts (or percentages) on the multiple payments.

Am I misunderstanding something or is this correct?

Thank you to whoever reads and responds to this. 

Message 30 of 31

Hey there @KateWolven

At this time ACH payments do not allow partial payments. So in order to have any sort of payment schedule (or payment milestones), you would have to disable the option to accept the ACH payment method. 

You do not need to pay for Invoices Plus if you only need 2 payments on your invoices. However, if you are needing more than 2, Invoices Plus would be the route to take.

I hope this information is helpful! P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 31 of 31