x

Collect partial payment on an invoice?

I am suggesting the addition of the feature to edit invoice options when you are sending an estimate. Example: I am sending an estimate and would like to request only a 50% deposit when accepted. 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 31
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I collect partial payments from the app?

@ARS25901 

You should have this option available now for use on your device. Please let us know if you have any furthers issues.

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @kate_taflinger-

You can add a payment schedule, as partial payments towards an invoice:

Is that what you're referring to? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 31
Admin

Best Answer

@ARS25901 

You should have this option available now for use on your device. Please let us know if you have any furthers issues.

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

3. Tap Add Payment
  5. Tap Next

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 18 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Admin

Hey @kate_taflinger-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. 

I'm a little confused by this feature request. Are you able to include a message in the estimate clarifying that you would like to request only a 50% deposit when accepted? 

Let me know what you're looking for so I can look into this further. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 2 of 31

@isabelle I'm not sure what you mean by that. When creating an invoice, I'm able to specify that I am requesting a 50% deposit. As far as I'm aware, customers can't make partial payments. So I need an option in sending a quote that allows me to set that 50% deposit setting for the invoice that will be created when they accept.

Message 3 of 31
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @kate_taflinger-

You can add a payment schedule, as partial payments towards an invoice:

Is that what you're referring to? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 4 of 31

I need this feature! It was there before, and now it isn't. I always accept 50% to book a specific date for my catering services, and then have the customer pay the balance at the time of the event. But this feature isn't showing up anymore. Help!

Message 5 of 31

Good morning, I am not seeing this option when creating an invoice. Please help. Thank you

Message 6 of 31
Alumni

Hi, do you have ACH Bank transfer enabled in the Invoice payment info options? If so, partial payments aren't allowed with this feature turned on. 

@Lici

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 31

Is this option still available for Square invoices? I do not see it anymore. 

Message 8 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Yes, @ashaai this feature is available.

With Square Invoices, you can request payment for a portion of your invoice upfront as a deposit and set a separate due date for the remaining balance. With these depots, you can create a single invoice to track multiple payments and reduce the amount of time you have to spend reconciling multiple payments.

Request Deposits

You can send an invoice requesting a deposit payment directly from your Square Dashboard.

To do so:

Go to Payments > Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > Create Invoice.

Select a customer from your Customer Directory, or enter a new name and email address.

Under Line items, select Customize to add items, and apply modifiers, notes, and taxes.

Under Add payment schedule, click Request Deposit and enter the amount or percentage, select a due date, and click Save. Deposits can be requested with a fixed dollar amount or as a percentage of the invoice total. Note: An ACH bank transfer cannot be selected to split payments.

Click Send.

Once your customer receives the invoice, they can pay the deposit first, then the remaining balance.

If ACH is enabled, you'll be unable to set up payment schedules. Uncheck ACH as a payment method to set up a payment schedule for the invoice.

Note: You can request a deposit and partial payment per order total. The ability to split specific items for partial payments is unavailable at this time.

Invoices Gif

You can learn more about this feature here.

I hope this information is helpful.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 9 of 31

Yes, I figured it out once I sent it to a client. There wasn't a clear description on how the process works, but I see it now. Thank you for your help!

Message 10 of 31
Admin

So happy to hear that @kate_taflinger! Sorry about the confusion. Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 11 of 31
Beta Member

Hi @isabelle. It looks like we cannot accept partial invoice payment through the POS app or Square for Retail POS App. I set up the deposit schedule on an invoice and a client wanted to pay an invoice in person, but the POS app will only let me accept a full invoice payment, even though I see the deposit schedule on the invoice when looking at it on the Square for Retail POS app. I have included a picture of a fake invoice to help, but it is really throwing us off because we then have to do a separate transaction to charge for the deposit, but have no way of tying it back to the invoice.

IMG_0496.PNG IMG_0497.PNG

Message 12 of 31
Admin

Hey @mike109-

Thanks for your reply.

The ability to accept in-person payments toward a deposit or partial balance is currently unavailable. In-person payments can only be taken for the total invoice amount. We're working on making this available in the future. I'll make sure to update this thread when I hear something. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 13 of 31

I can partial payments from invoices created on desktop, but not from the POS tablet. What am I missing?

Message 14 of 31

Hey @ARS25901 and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to an existing thread where another seller had the same question above. 

This option isn't available on the app at this time. 

Ashley C
Message 15 of 31

I appreciate moving question. I was unsure of the best place. I know this question has been asked repeatedly. I may have to switch systems, which is a bummer but we really need this feature.

Message 16 of 31

Really sorry to disappoint @ARS25901🙁

Know that these requests have been passed along to the Product Team and hopefully it'll be something we're able to offer one day on the app as well as the Dashboard.

Ashley C
Message 17 of 31
Admin

Best Answer

@ARS25901 

3. Tap Add Payment
  5. Tap Next

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 18 of 31
Beta Member

HI this is wonderful.

When i am in Square for Retail on Square Register and i setup a new invoice, and i click to request an initial deposit of 10%.

What is the best way to collect that 10% if the person is in store at time of creating the invoice? Do i finish setting up the invoice and the Split balance into milestones, then send the invoice, then pull the customer invoice back up, then click "add payment"?

or

Is there a workflow while setting up the invoice that I can click to receive the deposit then they insert the card and pay the requested deposit then I continue and send the invoice to the email?

Message 19 of 31

Hello Kelly, when taking Partial payments. Can you send the customer a receipt of that transaction or does the system automatically send them a receipt?

thanks  

Message 20 of 31

I do mural work so my payment process goes : 1.art deposit , then upon accepted design work, 50% of The balance, then we paint their project. We want to collect the  final 50% of the balance within 7 days of finishing the project. When I create estimates and send invoices the # of days all seem fixated on when I sent the invoice , although the creative process is not

i do not want the client to get a past due notice when I haven’t completed their work?

Message 21 of 31