x

Comp an entire sale vs apply a discount?

Is it possible to apply a comp to the whole ticket instead of per item. What happens when you want to comp the item and the modifier, eg. 12 oz Latte and the Modifier (Almond Milk + Vanilla). Right now you have to go back and comp each item one-by-one, that's doing the same thing 3 times that could have been faciliated with a single command. Am I missing something or is there another way to do it?

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there. 

The Comp feature was intended to be used as a way to fix a mistake and provide a good will gesture to your customers, which is why it's done on a per-item basis. 

I can see how using the comp feature on an entire ticket can come in handy. I'll be sure to share this request with our Product Team. 

When you want to comp an entire ticket, you can try creating a 100% discount and applying it to that specific sale. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Best Answer

Hi there. 

The Comp feature was intended to be used as a way to fix a mistake and provide a good will gesture to your customers, which is why it's done on a per-item basis. 

I can see how using the comp feature on an entire ticket can come in handy. I'll be sure to share this request with our Product Team. 

When you want to comp an entire ticket, you can try creating a 100% discount and applying it to that specific sale. 

Message 2 of 18

Thanks @EJ_

"When you want to comp an entire ticket, you can try creating a 100% discount and applying it to that specific sale. "

That's how we're doing it, just thought that Comping was the right tool/feature to use.

Message 3 of 18

Hi,

I would like to begin using comps, but I cannot find the button or switch (in the item modification/variation menu) to be able to apply a comp.

We are using Square with employee permissions set to allow the user to "Apply Restricted Discounts and Comps" and "Delete or Void Saved Items in Open Tickets." I have also created several "Comp Reasons" under the discounts settings. We save and use open tickets. 

Please help.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 18

Hello, 

It sounds like you have all the correct settings to be able to use the Comp & Void features within the Point of Sale app. 

However, based on your post you might be trying to comp an item from the wrong location. 

The comp is applied directly to the item that's in the checkout card. 

To comp an item:

1. Tap an item in your cart.
  2. Tap Comp Item.
  3. Select a reason.
  4. Tap Comp in the top-right corner.
Message 5 of 18

To follow up with this thread - will the end of the day report track the total amount of comps per item per day?

I'm trying to figure out a way to track returning customers who've already purchased a season pass for admission on a previous visit but are returning at a later date.  So I was thinking I could follow your steps and comp the sale, but wondered if the reports would still show the comp sales by item.

Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 18
Admin

Hey @bhcity150, welcome to the seller community! 👍🏻

Yes, you'll be able to view the total comps and voids for any timeframe from your Sales tab > scroll down and select either Comps or Voids. Do you see the information you're looking for there?

Hope this helps — please let me know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 7 of 18

I am having trouble seeing my comp transactions.

I was advised by Square support to use comp as a way to load giftcards without actually sliding a card. For example as giveaways. I did that and now when I go to sales > comps, it says no transactions in this time frame. But if i look under transactions this specific entry is there!

Should I be lookign somewhere else?

Message 8 of 18

Hi @presscafe

There might've been some confusion when explaining the Comp feature along side Square Gift Cards. 

The Comp feature was intended to be used as a way to fix a mistake and provide a good will gesture to your customers.

You can't load a Square Gift Card using the Comp feature. 

Can you clarify a bit more on what you're trying to do? 

Message 9 of 18

Yeah! Any other suggestions are definitely welcomed!!

Basically, I run a coffee shop out of a church. So within the church we have different departments with different budgets. 

A lot of the departments want to give away giftcards, So basically what I'd love is a way to ring out giftcards without them having to slide a card to load them, and then sending them an invoice after.

I tried using tickets to do this, which we are using tickets for other things thats working great. But the only problem is adding a giftcard to a ticket doesnt actually load the giftcard, so it's unusable until the invoice is paid.

If that makes sense.

Message 10 of 18

I think I understand what you're saying @presscafe

It sounds like you're looking to load your gift cards manually in advance of a sale, then charge a customer for it later. Correct?

Since a gift card can only be activated once the sale is complete, have you tried manually keying in the gift card number, then applying a 100% discount for the sale?

Let me know if that helps any. 

Message 11 of 18

We set up our season passes as individual items under the category season pass. The item has a $0 price point and we can track how many times eash individual customer comes through.  

Message 12 of 18

EJ - I just sat up Comp and Void capabilities.  Will I be able to comp a portion of a ticket - example $3 to reduce an item that had a substitution that would cost less?  

Message 13 of 18
Admin

Hi @BKovac! At this time you can only comp on an item level, there isn't a way to comp a specific dollar amount. So if the item you wanted to comp costs $3, you can use the comp feature. But if you wanted to reduce the customer's bill by $3, you could create a discount for that $3 instead. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 14 of 18

Is it possible to disable Comp and Void once the option has been enabled? I realized I don't need Comp/Void and want to remove the options from the POS.

Message 15 of 18

Hello @ramonashummus, currently you cannot disable Comp/Void once it's enabled. 

I can think of a number of reasons why you would want to disable it, so I will make sure to share this suggestion with our Point of Sale Team. If I can help with anything else please let me know. 

Message 16 of 18

I have set up comp and discount and enabled in Virtual terminal, but I cannot seem to be able to figure out how to apply the comp in virtual terminal. What am i not doing correctly?

Message 17 of 18
Admin

Hey @EltonRichey 😊

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community - and welcome!

As of right now - there isn't a way to void an item using Virtual Terminal. Sorry about that. You can discount though! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 18 of 18