x
Beta Member

Confirmed: Socket S740 barcode scanner and QR Codes work with Square

I have tested and can confirm that the Socket Mobile S740 Bluetooth barcode scanner works with Square. Currently, the Socket 7Ci is the only compatible bluetooth scanner that Square lists. Please note that bluetooth barcode scanners only work on an iPad.

The S740 is a 2D scanner which supports QR codes (it can also scan regular bar codes). I also tested and can confirm that QR Codes are compatible with Square. This is great news because it allows printing smaller labels since QR Codes can pack much more information into a smaller space. If you have long SKU values, this is a real space-saver. I was able to successfully scan a 5/16" QR code (printed with a Dymo LW 450) which is perfect for small items (i.e., jewelry, glasses, etc.)

I posted a YouTube video to demonstrate how it works:

https://youtu.be/Q0G--xs9Vxk

I hope this will help someone else because I was previously unable to find any information about this.

Cheers!

Michael

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

This is correct information! We list the S700 and 7Ci models, as these are the most common - and lowest cost - Socket models that most sellers are happy with. However, Socket does have a whole other list of scanners (S730, 740, 760 and D700, 730, 740, 750, 760) that are all compatible with Square, too 

What happens if it doesn't work with Square? You'll want to contact Socket - they can handle making sure your scanner is included in SocketMobile’s SDK, which we rely on for compatibility.

Some extra relevant information - these scanners are supported by Square, and can scan QR codes:

• Zebra DS6707
  • Honeywell Xenon 1900
  • Socket S740, S760
  • Socket D740, D750, D760

All of the above are 2D-scanning enabled, which allows QR codes scanning.
I hope this helps! 🙌

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for your post.  It's things like this that really make the forum a valuable tool for Square users.

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 10
Super Seller

That's great, the only thing I would say is be careful since it isn't supported officially and some app update down the line may break this accidental compatibility (though it may be fine too).

Message 3 of 10
Beta Member

Hello Michael,  @msharps 

Thank you for sharing this info with everyone.  It was very helpful for us because we desperately wanted QR barcodes for our products and Square documentation and tech support says that they are NOT compatible. 

So, based on your video, we purchased two different 2D scanners -- one of which is the Socket D740 -- which is supposed to be the more durable version of the S740 (we got it on ebay, it was just random that it happened to be the D model.)  

However, we are hitting a wall in our testing and wanted to see if perhaps you have the answer. We watched your video on youtube with the Socket S740

We can get the items to load properly into the “cart/ticket” in the SQ for RETAIL App, but not in the Regular SQ POS App on an iPad.  More specifically, the D740 will find and pull up the ITEM screen with the correct variation selected, but we still need to press enter to load it into the cart. But to clarify - the process works PERFECTLY in the RETAIL App. 

When you were setting up your socket did you experience any hiccups, or difficulties with setup - where it would pull up an item, but not populate the correct thing in the cart? We'd very much appreciate your input on this.

Thanks in advance!

Lani and Alex

Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

I just got a s740 scanner and finally got it to pair. Why don’t square update their compatibly to the newer scanners and get out of the dark ages with the 7ci scanner. 

Message 5 of 10
Alumni

Best Answer

This is correct information! We list the S700 and 7Ci models, as these are the most common - and lowest cost - Socket models that most sellers are happy with. However, Socket does have a whole other list of scanners (S730, 740, 760 and D700, 730, 740, 750, 760) that are all compatible with Square, too 

What happens if it doesn't work with Square? You'll want to contact Socket - they can handle making sure your scanner is included in SocketMobile’s SDK, which we rely on for compatibility.

Some extra relevant information - these scanners are supported by Square, and can scan QR codes:

• Zebra DS6707
  • Honeywell Xenon 1900
  • Socket S740, S760
  • Socket D740, D750, D760

All of the above are 2D-scanning enabled, which allows QR codes scanning.
I hope this helps! 🙌

Valentina
Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

Ok some was saying the s740 wasn’t compatible but it is 

Message 7 of 10
Beta Member

Ok some was saying the s740 wasn’t compatible but it is.  Also is there a scanner that can be used on a desktop computer with square?

Message 8 of 10
Alumni

The hardware listed above is compatible with Square Point of Sale app, which does not run on a desktop computer. Your Square Dashboard does not have scanning capabilities.

Valentina
Message 9 of 10
Beta Member

Thank you for this! I saw your video before I found this post, much appreciated!!

Message 10 of 10