x

Creating items without sales tax

I create lots of items because I have a retail clothing store. This means creating an item for each size, color and style. Recently Square upgraded it's format and now the Sales Tax button defaults to "on". I sometimes forget to switch it off when creating an item. Is there any way I can get it to default to off? There is no sales tax in Minnesota on clothing. This is embarrassing at the register when I am checking people out and a sales tax appears on the sale. 😞

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hello and sorry for the late reply. 

You can adjust the items you'd like a specific tax applied to through the app. 

From the app, tap Settings > Tax. 

Tap on the Tax you've created, and you can click the "Exempt All" option to remove the tax from all items. 

Message 2 of 4

Hi,

I use Square for our Society of Women Engineers group.  We are tax exempt. We have received several payments where it appears that tax has been withhold (for instance, on a $540 transaction, we received $523; this transaction was in NY).  Can I change this, so we receive the entire $540?)  thanks Lorraine Herger.

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@lmherger Hi there. 

As a seller, you shouldn't be getting taxed for anything, as the only amount we charge would be the processing fee. You can view the pricing for each style of payment here: Pricing 

Message 4 of 4