x
Highlighted

Customer Directory: What is the Reference ID and how can I access informaiton added to this field?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Reference ID

Hello, I'm trying to find out some information in regards to the Reference ID field under the "Customer" field to see how to best utilize it and what function it provides, but I haven't been able to find out much information on the topic. Is this a searchable text field? Can you type a customer's Reference ID to pull up that customer? Is it solely to be used as a Reference # for internal tracking purposes only? Is this for a puprose completely separate? Any insight or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Admin

Re: Reference ID

Hey @spinlaundry, great question—to be sure we're on the same page, are you referring to the Reference ID that you can enable from the Customer Profiles tab? I don't have specifics on all of the questions you asked this on hand, but let me touch base with someone on our Customer Engagement team. We'll be back with more clarity on how it functions ASAP.

Message 2 of 11
Highlighted

Hi Tom,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I’m referring to the Reference ID field in the Customer’s profile.

Let me know what you find out. Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Admin

Appreciate your patience, @spinlaundry—I was able to get some more details from our Customer Engagement team.

The Reference ID was created to help sellers keep an external CRM sync with Square. In this case, the Reference ID will will show up on the customer's profile, CSV reports, and in our API.

The field is not searchable and can't be used to look up the customer—though they are tracking this request.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit more. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Message 4 of 11
Highlighted

How do I access important information that I type into the REFERENCE ID field of CREATE CUSTOMER tab?

Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Admin

Hey @stacilane! If you add information to the Reference ID field, when you add that customer to a sale that ID will be included in the Customer Reference ID column in the Transaction CSV and Item Detail CSV reports.

You can also view your customer directory and the information associated with each customer by exporting your directory:

1. Navigate to the Customers section of your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Import/Export > click Export Customers.
  3. Select All customers or choose a group to export.
  4. When you open the CSV file the Reference ID column is the first one.
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted

Hi @Tom & @Helen ,

Has there been any progress made towards making this a searchable term or creating a customizable field that is search able If necessary "A middle name field" that has similar behaviors as First/ Last Name and can be searched for on the App and attatched to each indivdual customer?

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
Admin

@EWH3MM No updates yet I'm afraid! 

Can you reply here with a bit more information about how you use the Reference ID field and how a (searchable) middle name field would help you at your business or manage your sales/reporting? We can share your insights with the Customer Directory team! 

Message 8 of 11
Highlighted

Has there been any information regarding rederence IDs? Would be great to be able to search a customer by an ID number!!

Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
Admin

Hi @Alexlaawson,

No updates to give at this time- but if there ever is one we'll be sure to update the thread!

Message 10 of 11