x

Customer Directory: What is the Reference ID and how can I access informaiton added to this field?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Reference ID

Hello, I'm trying to find out some information in regards to the Reference ID field under the "Customer" field to see how to best utilize it and what function it provides, but I haven't been able to find out much information on the topic. Is this a searchable text field? Can you type a customer's Reference ID to pull up that customer? Is it solely to be used as a Reference # for internal tracking purposes only? Is this for a puprose completely separate? Any insight or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Appreciate your patience, @spinlaundry—I was able to get some more details from our Customer Engagement team.

The Reference ID was created to help sellers keep an external CRM sync with Square. In this case, the Reference ID will will show up on the customer's profile, CSV reports, and in our API.

The field is not searchable and can't be used to look up the customer—though they are tracking this request.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit more. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Square Community Moderator

Hey @amjessey,

Thanks for being a part of the Community.

I think having an auto-generated option for Reference IDs would be a great addition to the Square platform. Please share your suggestions in our Ideate Room here: squ.re/ideate - Our Product Team keeps an eye on this forum, and the more Sellers that request this feature, the more likely it is to be added.

If you need anything else, please let me know

Message 22 of 27

Please make the referenceID field searchable. We have a gymnastics facility and our customers show up in the customer field but we would love to be able to pair this to the child’s name which we have always populated in the reference id. Would be so so so so helpful to be able to search by referenceID!!!

Message 23 of 27

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @TuckDynasty I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

In the meantime, my suggestion would be to add your needed information as a note. Notes are completely searchable via Square Dashboard's Transactions page.

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 27

Thanks, but that doesn’t look like that would help me. We never use the transactions page. We always use the app on mobile devices. I’m not even sure where that note would show up. I need it tied to the actual customer so I can search customers by the reference ID or another field where I can input data.

Message 25 of 27

Gotcha! Then yeah the best action to take at this time would be to complete a Feature Request so our product team is aware of your business needs.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 27

we would appreciate the reference id tab to be searchable, we need to quickly identify customers by scanning a barcode number which we can only put in reference id 

Message 27 of 27