x

Customer Transaction History

So I find myself with a unique (for me) question. This is the first time this has happened (and hopefully the last) but today I had a customer come in and ask if I could access all of purchase records under her credit card number over the past 10 years. She has been a fairly regular face over the years and her house burned down not too long ago. She wants to submit the records for insurance purposes - we sell art which is one of a kind and frequently pricey, so I can understand why she wants them. The problem is, I've never been very good at keeping detailed customer records. If I look up her name, I find one transaction from last year. Is there a way I can look her purchases up just by her credit card number? Thank you for any advice....

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Yes, you can look up customers by credit card.  If you go to your transactions tab in the Square POS app you can simply swipe the credit card and it will bring up all the transactions associated with that credit card.  This is more or less intended for easily finding transactions to refund without a receipt that has the receipt number.

Now the issue is if they used multiple cards and if the same card changed over the years to different card numbers.  But at least this will give you a start.

You can also look up in your transaction history on your Square Dashboard using the last 4 digits of the card.   this will get you down to just the transactions with that last 4 digits and yes there could be some overlap but it is a much smaller pile to sift thru.  https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/transactions

For the future, I would highly recommend you start using the customer directory where you add a customer to each sale.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5532-manage-your-customer-directory-from-the-square-app.  Now each transaction will be tied to a customer.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller Alumni

I'm sorry she's having to go through this, but my guess is that she would have better luck going through her bank or credit card company.  A business is only legally required to keep receipts for 6 years.  My guess is that the same goes for Square as a business.  
I don't believe this is possible, but maybe someone will weigh in with a better answer.

Message 2 of 16
Super Seller

Best Answer

Yes, you can look up customers by credit card.  If you go to your transactions tab in the Square POS app you can simply swipe the credit card and it will bring up all the transactions associated with that credit card.  This is more or less intended for easily finding transactions to refund without a receipt that has the receipt number.

Now the issue is if they used multiple cards and if the same card changed over the years to different card numbers.  But at least this will give you a start.

You can also look up in your transaction history on your Square Dashboard using the last 4 digits of the card.   this will get you down to just the transactions with that last 4 digits and yes there could be some overlap but it is a much smaller pile to sift thru.  https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/transactions

For the future, I would highly recommend you start using the customer directory where you add a customer to each sale.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5532-manage-your-customer-directory-from-the-square-app.  Now each transaction will be tied to a customer.

Message 3 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for the help @VanKalkerFarms.  Do you have any idea how far back Square keeps records?  My line of thinking was more about the length of time she was looking for.

Message 4 of 16
Super Seller

As far back as your account goes.  I can still see my first transaction on 5/5/11.  That is over 7 years ago and the signature and details are still there.  Since it is digital records and not paper records in a box in the office I doubt they will delete old transactions as they are tied to customers and other information in your records.  Square has only been around 8 years so in this customers case the records wouldn't exist as the store hasn't been using Square that long so obviously they'd have to then go to whatever POS or transaction log they had before Square.

Message 5 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

And this is why we love @VanKalkerFarms and the community!

Message 6 of 16

Is it possible to print this history for a customer in a report/statment of a years worth of charges for instance?

Message 7 of 16
Alumni

Hey @drkrisdc - If the customer used the same card payment, you could filter out by the last four digits on your Transactions page and set the date range. From there, you would just need to select Export on the top right and you can print out the CSV file for the customer.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 8 of 16

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: What did my customer buy this year?

How to I find what a customer bought this year? Can I get that info from my Square account? She bought everything on a credit card through Square.

Message 9 of 16
Alumni

Hi there @Barbskee - I've moved your post here so you can take a peek at @VanKalkerFarms' answer in this thread. There are some instructions for printing a card's transaction history posted by @puka, if you're needing to do that as well!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 16

I need to print a report for a customer of all her purchases for tax return purposes. I don't see a way to do this which seems like an incredibly basic report. Am I missing something? When you pull up the customer to print you only print the screen shot not ALL the purchases. 

Message 11 of 16
Alumni

Hey @klstride - I've merged your post with a thread on a similar topic. If your customer has used the same card for every purchase then VanKalkerFarms' suggestion to pull up transactions by last 4 digits of card number should work for you. Once you filter by card and date range, there's an option to export a CSV file with all of the customer's transactions within that time period.

Hope that helps!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 12 of 16

My customer prepays for 10 yoga sessions.  Buyer Summary indicates number of visits for individual customers.  For instance, my customer has attended a yoga session more than 50 times, but under her Buyer Summary it shows only 9.

What generates the number of visits that show under Buyer Summary?   I would like to record each time she attends a prepaid class.

Message 13 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hi @blueboy132! Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community. I've merged your post with an existing thread where @VanKalkerFarms helps answer a similar topic. Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 14 of 16

My customer pays with a check. I want to report to my customer all of the items they have purchased since 2015. My current view of data only goes back two years. Is there a setting or a configuration that I need to change that will increase the date range? How would I go about reporting to my customer all of the items they have purchased over the last 5 or 6 years?  

Message 15 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @sramos_SCCF

Our Support team would be able to help with this. They can take a look at your account with you to help a shine light here, as they are able look at your account alongside you in order to pinpoint what's going on here. Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 16 of 16