x

Customize reports by customer name

I am seeking a way to create a report that can be categorized by customer. I am a wholesaler and I would like to be able to access information solely on that customer/vendors name.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 86
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can you generate reports with customer name and email information if present in my customer d...

@stanfordaustin

The reporting around Customers is definitely something we've spent a lot of time working towards. Square's system is built on varying platforms, so what may seem like basic reporting, might actually be a complicated process to generate.

Item reporting does go with the item platform, Customer with the Directory Platform, and we've just started implementing the communication between these. 

What that means for now, these reports as you want them are not fully generatable.

You can add a customer to a transaction from the POS - especially the dashboard.

Click into the Transaction you'd like to Add a Customer > Click the three dots in the upper right hand corner > Add Customer 

If you export the Transaction CSV Customer Name will appear on this spreadsheet. 

It's not a perfect process, but it is reporting requests we continue to share with the product team so they can road map out updates in the future.

1 Best Answer

Best Answer

@Helen @stanfordaustin 

I needed that as well and after searching this for days, this is what I came up with:

1- Downloading customer list from the customer page: But has major problems:

A- gives you VERY LITTLE details such as emails, phone numbers, and totals spent since their first visit.

B- No options for Dates,

C- No transaction Details 

D- No accounting for Refunds issued -- so totals are always higher if I gave a customer a refund at any point. 

in my opinion useless for details, somewhat good for who is the winner of the best customer, even though he/she might have been the worst and always received refunds, and actually spent the least 🙂

2- dashboard --> transactions -->then filter by customer name (you have to input that manually --> then exporting, is the only way to achieve something like what I was looking for yet there are still some problems: 

A- It is tedious to do this for each customer, in comparison if the field "customer" was added to all the exports then we can at least do one tedious job or getting our info from one file in excel -- this way you will have tons of files to download, fix and compile to come up with an overview between customers. 

B- if you export "transaction CVS" OR "Item Detail CVS" one important thing is missing, which is REFUNDS that were done. So the numbers will be a mess, any refunds you issued that customer for whatever reason don't show in these reports, so the totals will be always equal to (if no refunds) or higher (if refunds were issued in the time period) than the actual numbers... 

So the only way to do this and get the right numbers is to export "Items Summary CVS" from the transaction page after you choose the dates you want and filter by a customer (one by one). This will account for refunds, gives you an overview of which items the customer bought, which ones got returned and the right totals.

@Helen  what we need is simple, in any of the reports that are exported, add the "customer" column/field .. the more fields added to an exported file the better... we can always delete columns we don't like, but we cant add columns we don't have. 

Hope this workaround helps some people for the time being 

View Best Answer >

Message 55 of 86
85 REPLIES 85

I'm trying to get a customer's transaction history in a printable format. She used different credit cards, so I can't search transactions by card number. When I go to her in my directory, I can see the history of the transactions, but I am wondering if there's a way to print that out? I'm an acupuncturist and she's involved in a lawsuit and I'm being subpoenaed for records, so I'd like to have something official from Square. 

Is it possible to do that?

Message 43 of 86
Square Community Moderator

Hi @abruehl! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post here so you can see what your options are for having a report by customer name via CSV. Check out @Helen's answer above. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 44 of 86

Thanks. Yes, I figured out how to find that, but I need to print it out. I am an acupuncturist and one of my patients was involved in a car accident. I am being subpoenaed for her records and they are asking for proof of purchase, so I need to be able to print something out. @Helen--this is why I need a printed report. Thanks!

Message 45 of 86
Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can you generate reports with customer name and email information if present in my customer database

Hi 

I am unable to generate reports with customers email info. The names appear but no email. Other than crossreferencing another spreadsheet with my customer database which involves a lot of time and effort, is there another way to get this information in one report?

TIA

Message 46 of 86
Admin

Hi again @HTW! If you're looking at Sales reports or the Transactions CSV your customer's email addresses are not included there. Can you share a bit more information about why you need this or is it to save time (always helpful!). I'll share your feedback with the Reporting and Customer Directory teams.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 47 of 86

I'm having the same kind of problem most apparently are suffering here. It seems to me Square isn't getting the basics covered.

I need a list of my customers by name, indexed to the things they've bought, price paid, quantity, and the dates of the purchases. This is the most basic report you'd want from a transactional website; you guys seem to have everything but.

The reports mentioned here or that seem most logical don't work because they don't have the crucial field: the "Customer" field that only shows in the Orders pane in the dashboard. I've looked at the Transactions CSV, Customer Directory, Reports > Item Sales, everything. Maybe I missed some crucial spot, but these all either have no Customer/Customer Name field, or those fields are empty.

If I could export the data from the Orders pane, that'd be half the battle. I need customer name. Nope, can't export that data. No export button. Brilliant.

It also seems weird that Customer/Customer Name doesn't appear anywhere in Dashboard > Transactions. Why would you show a transaction and not include customer name? What gives? 

Message 48 of 86
Admin

@stanfordaustin

The reporting around Customers is definitely something we've spent a lot of time working towards. Square's system is built on varying platforms, so what may seem like basic reporting, might actually be a complicated process to generate.

Item reporting does go with the item platform, Customer with the Directory Platform, and we've just started implementing the communication between these. 

What that means for now, these reports as you want them are not fully generatable.

You can add a customer to a transaction from the POS - especially the dashboard.

Click into the Transaction you'd like to Add a Customer > Click the three dots in the upper right hand corner > Add Customer 

If you export the Transaction CSV Customer Name will appear on this spreadsheet. 

It's not a perfect process, but it is reporting requests we continue to share with the product team so they can road map out updates in the future.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 49 of 86

I too am looking for a annual sales report by customer. It looks like we need to generate this data manually by selecting the customer name and viewing transactions for the year, ten add them all up?  Maybe I'm missing it, but, I'm not expert in importing and exporting data....I'm a photographer!

Message 50 of 86

@MarkSven thank you so much for posting and welcome to the Seller Community! You are correct, the best way to generate this report for now will be to export your transactions for the year to a CSV (you will see this in the actions tab on the top right of your screen when viewing your Transactions) and then filtering that CSV file by that customer's name. 

It may take some playing around with the CSV file, but you should be able to create a filter for keywords once it's exported! 

I hope this helps in some way, but let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 51 of 86

Thanks for your reply, kellyj, and I wanted to say this is a big problem for me, too. I get notifications, or see reports, about a payment and I can't tell who the payment is from. I need to know that!

Message 52 of 86

Thanks for adding your feedback here, @theakelley. While we don't have any update currently, we will reach back out to everyone here when we do.

Thanks for hanging tough.

Joe
Message 53 of 86

What I THINK will work for my organization is Reports -> Item Sales ->set your date -> Export Detail CSV.  The spreadsheet I get includes customer, item purchased, date, and more.  I can sort from there.

Message 54 of 86

Best Answer

@Helen @stanfordaustin 

I needed that as well and after searching this for days, this is what I came up with:

1- Downloading customer list from the customer page: But has major problems:

A- gives you VERY LITTLE details such as emails, phone numbers, and totals spent since their first visit.

B- No options for Dates,

C- No transaction Details 

D- No accounting for Refunds issued -- so totals are always higher if I gave a customer a refund at any point. 

in my opinion useless for details, somewhat good for who is the winner of the best customer, even though he/she might have been the worst and always received refunds, and actually spent the least 🙂

2- dashboard --> transactions -->then filter by customer name (you have to input that manually --> then exporting, is the only way to achieve something like what I was looking for yet there are still some problems: 

A- It is tedious to do this for each customer, in comparison if the field "customer" was added to all the exports then we can at least do one tedious job or getting our info from one file in excel -- this way you will have tons of files to download, fix and compile to come up with an overview between customers. 

B- if you export "transaction CVS" OR "Item Detail CVS" one important thing is missing, which is REFUNDS that were done. So the numbers will be a mess, any refunds you issued that customer for whatever reason don't show in these reports, so the totals will be always equal to (if no refunds) or higher (if refunds were issued in the time period) than the actual numbers... 

So the only way to do this and get the right numbers is to export "Items Summary CVS" from the transaction page after you choose the dates you want and filter by a customer (one by one). This will account for refunds, gives you an overview of which items the customer bought, which ones got returned and the right totals.

@Helen  what we need is simple, in any of the reports that are exported, add the "customer" column/field .. the more fields added to an exported file the better... we can always delete columns we don't like, but we cant add columns we don't have. 

Hope this workaround helps some people for the time being 

Message 55 of 86
Admin

Thank you for sharing this @Laythss! I went ahead and made your post the Best Answer for this thread so that other sellers can find your post. Yes I agree it's easier to remove columns than trying to combine spreadsheets and I really appreciate your patience in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 56 of 86
Beta Member

This was about 8 months ago, any update on progress? The notes I've seen are giving us the message that this is an important feature to Square.

Message 57 of 86
Admin

Nothing yet. Sorry @AttuneHome. Thanks for checking in, though.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 58 of 86

Why is this still not an option.  It should be a simple report.  Create Itemized report based on date, include customer number and total spent!  We need this too for year and when everyone does their taxes or HSA.  I'm having to go in and create everything manually which is a huge PIA!  YOUR customers have asked for this for over 5 years and still nothing????

Message 59 of 86

I've seen requests for reporting by month, cust name, gross charge, fees, net deposit. This seems like an essential user report. Is it available yet? It's far too tedious to view each transaction and print screen. Even then, it fails to show cust name. 

Message 60 of 86
Admin

@Grey58 Thanks for checking in! I went to look for an update to share regarding this request but I wasn't able to find any new information. Thanks for hanging in there.

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 61 of 86

Not going to hang in there for long. If I cant get a basic and essential report, it makes using square as difficult to manage as any of the others. Not inclined to use any of the other services that square keeps pushing if it's going to be another time intensive waste. I've seen several other posts requesting the same report function. Why isn't square making it happen? "It's too difficult" isn't acceptable. 

Message 62 of 86
Admin

I'm sorry you feel this way @Grey58. We're definitely listening to the requests here in the Community. We receive tons of feature requests each day, and it's just a matter of our team prioritizing each one. This post explains in depth how the life of a feature request works. 

Requests aren't always a hard no. It's just that some take more time than others to consider and build.

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 63 of 86