x

Customize reports by customer name

I am seeking a way to create a report that can be categorized by customer. I am a wholesaler and I would like to be able to access information solely on that customer/vendors name.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 86
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can you generate reports with customer name and email information if present in my customer d...

@stanfordaustin

The reporting around Customers is definitely something we've spent a lot of time working towards. Square's system is built on varying platforms, so what may seem like basic reporting, might actually be a complicated process to generate.

Item reporting does go with the item platform, Customer with the Directory Platform, and we've just started implementing the communication between these. 

What that means for now, these reports as you want them are not fully generatable.

You can add a customer to a transaction from the POS - especially the dashboard.

Click into the Transaction you'd like to Add a Customer > Click the three dots in the upper right hand corner > Add Customer 

If you export the Transaction CSV Customer Name will appear on this spreadsheet. 

It's not a perfect process, but it is reporting requests we continue to share with the product team so they can road map out updates in the future.

1 Best Answer

Best Answer

@Helen @stanfordaustin 

I needed that as well and after searching this for days, this is what I came up with:

1- Downloading customer list from the customer page: But has major problems:

A- gives you VERY LITTLE details such as emails, phone numbers, and totals spent since their first visit.

B- No options for Dates,

C- No transaction Details 

D- No accounting for Refunds issued -- so totals are always higher if I gave a customer a refund at any point. 

in my opinion useless for details, somewhat good for who is the winner of the best customer, even though he/she might have been the worst and always received refunds, and actually spent the least 🙂

2- dashboard --> transactions -->then filter by customer name (you have to input that manually --> then exporting, is the only way to achieve something like what I was looking for yet there are still some problems: 

A- It is tedious to do this for each customer, in comparison if the field "customer" was added to all the exports then we can at least do one tedious job or getting our info from one file in excel -- this way you will have tons of files to download, fix and compile to come up with an overview between customers. 

B- if you export "transaction CVS" OR "Item Detail CVS" one important thing is missing, which is REFUNDS that were done. So the numbers will be a mess, any refunds you issued that customer for whatever reason don't show in these reports, so the totals will be always equal to (if no refunds) or higher (if refunds were issued in the time period) than the actual numbers... 

So the only way to do this and get the right numbers is to export "Items Summary CVS" from the transaction page after you choose the dates you want and filter by a customer (one by one). This will account for refunds, gives you an overview of which items the customer bought, which ones got returned and the right totals.

@Helen  what we need is simple, in any of the reports that are exported, add the "customer" column/field .. the more fields added to an exported file the better... we can always delete columns we don't like, but we cant add columns we don't have. 

Hope this workaround helps some people for the time being 

View Best Answer >

Message 55 of 86
85 REPLIES 85

This is a basic and essential report function to reconcile bank accounts to charges. Without it, without a link to a customer's information, it's extremely time consuming and in some cases close to impossible. Business people, particularly the ones that are one person facilities, simply cannot waste this amount of time. I cannot tell you how many times a service simply can't or won't resolve an issue because they have other priorities. I'd suggest square reconsider its priorities unless they think losing business is an important goal. 

Message 64 of 86

This has been a Request Since 2017 It is now 2020???? Square needs to take our concerns into account if they want us to keep using them? We pay good money for your system and are asking for a simple report! Square can send me a Report that shows how much my Top customer has spent in the last year YET I am not able to make this Report on my own???? Why If square can make it why cant I have the ability to create it??? Over 2yrs waiting for this report????

Message 65 of 86
Square Community Moderator

We hear you, @RJServices.

We want to insure that all feature requests introduced into the Square ecosystem have been fully tested and are as successful as can be in providing our Merchants high-quality data and information about their business. 

Thanks so much for your patience, here. We will be sure to update this thread when this feature becomes available.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 66 of 86

I spent a lot of time trying to create a simple sales report without success.  After reading some other customer comments, it seems that I am not alone.  Is there a tutorial or other info that will help with this task?

Message 67 of 86

@AultmanSawmill

I'd recommend checking out our Support Center here for a walkthrough on custom reports. 

Ashley C
Message 68 of 86

This is a basic request and necessary for us to run our business.  Please prioritize making this happen.

Message 69 of 86

I'm setting up a rewards program and need data from customer spending to show how much each customer has spent in a specified time frame.  Is there any way to run this report? 

Message 70 of 86
Admin

Good question @Eclatmedspa.

Unfortunately we don't have a reporting system built out to pull this type of information. I moved your question here so we can continue to keep track of the need for these types of reports and notify everyone on this thread of any changes that come down the line.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 71 of 86

I've read through this thread as this is something we are also looking for. We categorize our customers by which school they are at (we do senior photography) and need to know the sales and specific items purchased by each school's seniors. We've downloaded the customer directory for each "group" (different schools) to find the total they have spent, but we need to know specific item totals, as well. Bumping this up so hopefully this can get worked on since it looks like a lot of people are interested in this.

Thank you!

@ashc @nika 

Message 72 of 86

It's amazing to me and many others (that use Square), why we are not able to produce a "Sales History Report" for each of Customer we service! We have been with Square for over 4 years now and they are very helpful with our business, but they fail to realize HOW IMPORTANT AND USEFUL a Sales History Report for each Customer would be to our business. If they can do it by ITEM why not by Customer! 

Please Help!

Message 73 of 86

All I seem to be able to get from Reports are "Summary" totals.  I need to be able to track payments by my customers.  Can anyone help me?

Message 74 of 86

Heya @BerkeleyLake and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been addressed already.

Check out the Best Answer for details above.

Ashley C
Message 75 of 86

How can I print out my monthly reports with customer names 

Message 76 of 86

Hi there, @Slarlham 👋 Welcome here to the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us here. 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding customizing reports by customer name. Take a look at this helpful thread and verified answer from KellyJ. 

Let us know if you have any clarifying questions!

Joe
Message 77 of 86

Hello! I just had a customer email me advising me that their computer has crashed, and they are trying to complete their taxes... They need me to send them a report containing a list of invoices and the total amount they spent with my company for the year. I located this under the Customer's page under invoices, however, I am having trouble getting it to export so that I can send to the customer 😕

Message 78 of 86

Hi @EOPPI and welcome to the Seller Community!! I've merged your post to an existing thread where KellyJ has answered your question. You can export your Transactions Detail CSV and filter it by your customer's name. If they've been added to their sales (which it sounds like it has), then it will list all purchases they made with you! Make sure to also filter your transactions by year, or the timeframe that you need. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 79 of 86
Beta Member

Any idea if there will be the ability to add customers to the new report section soon to show all of the transactions? Or if there will ever be the option to filter what you want included under the transactions tab to show customers names like it does when you export the CSV (when exporting - it includes a ton of useless columns)? 

Message 80 of 86
Alumni

That's not currently possible, but we'll be sure to drop an update here if this report changes in the future, @user12039123.

Valentina
Message 81 of 86
Beta Member

Thank you!

Message 82 of 86

Since Square does not have the feature to have tax exempt customers so the sales "ring up" that way, I need to be able to run a report where I can select my tax exempt customers. I have to file state taxes and that information must be separated.

How do I do this? I haven't been able to find anything and the last thing I did find was from 2021 which advised this is not an available feature which I find hard to believe given the number of people who use Square.

Thank you!

Message 83 of 86

Reports based on customer names aren't available right now, @OnLineSeller, but I've merged your post to a thread where some other sellers shared workarounds you might find useful. Feel free to submit this as a feature request to our product team here. Like this we can track the request, and other sellers will be able to add their vote. 

Message 84 of 86