x

DINING OPTIONS - ADD VAT - for People Eating In

Hi Support,

We will shortly be opening a coffee shop and when we do, we want to make it as easy for the staff as possible in regards to handling and complying with UK VAT rules, as I understand the easiest way to accomplish this is to have a button for example for people eating in which would add 20% VAT to their order. (most stuff we sell is zero rated for takeaway apart from coffee's).

My question is can we use dining options to accomplish this? if so how do we link 20% VAT to the dining options? for example:

Use "Takeaway" as default option which is zero rated.

and then have the "Eat In" option add 20% VAT by default? - is this possible?

Thanks,

Brett

Message 1 of 3
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

I "think" I have found a way to do this.... 

We have 20% VAT for coffee already set up, so I created a new 20% Tax called EAT IN and enabled it for everything...

Then created a Exclusion rule for the Dining Option "Eat In" and added everything except coffee... 

Then made the Dining Option "Takeaway" as default. 

So now when a customer wants to eat in, you press or swipe the dining option to eat in and it will remove the exclusion therefore adding 20% VAT onto the transaction. 

Where as if a customer just orders for takeaway it will only add vat on the coffees and they are excluded from the new 20% exclusion rule. 

Please can you confirm this is the correct way to do this? I have tested and seems to work....

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Best Answer

I "think" I have found a way to do this.... 

We have 20% VAT for coffee already set up, so I created a new 20% Tax called EAT IN and enabled it for everything...

Then created a Exclusion rule for the Dining Option "Eat In" and added everything except coffee... 

Then made the Dining Option "Takeaway" as default. 

So now when a customer wants to eat in, you press or swipe the dining option to eat in and it will remove the exclusion therefore adding 20% VAT onto the transaction. 

Where as if a customer just orders for takeaway it will only add vat on the coffees and they are excluded from the new 20% exclusion rule. 

Please can you confirm this is the correct way to do this? I have tested and seems to work....

Message 2 of 3
Admin

Hi @HugoCoffee, thanks for posting!

Using conditional sales tax rules is exactly the way to do it. I'm glad you were able to find the solution ๐Ÿ™‚. I just did the test on my own account and what you described seems to be working. 

You might also find this Support article helpful.

Don't hesitate if you have any other questions ๐Ÿ™‚.

Message 3 of 3