x

Default Invoice Note Text

Hoping someone can help me with this question.  Is there any way to default text into the note field on an invoice?  Right now I do a lot of cut and paste from Word.  I tried to set up text in the inventory item description field but that does not transfer over to the invoice.  Would appreciate any and all help!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

Hi @rhuberty,

Are you referring to the message field? If so you can default that text by going to Settings > Invoices on the invoice screen and editing the default template.

Message 2 of 8

Referring to item-level text.  Under item set-up, you can put a description in which defaults into the invoice.  However, if you wish to modify this standard description within the invoice there is a customize option at the line item level.  When you select this you lose the standard description and end up with a blank description.  I operate in the service industry and would like to modify things like dates, months, etc. within that standard description.  Can't do that when it disappears so I end up doing a lot of copying and pasting from word.    

Message 3 of 8
Super Seller

Ah, I see what you're saying. It's because those are names of items rather a note field for a chosen item, so if you modify it you're actually creating a new item.. I couldn't find a way to work around that either.

Message 4 of 8

The only way I can deal with it is cut and paste....it would be nice to have an option to have item description text either come in or not come in when you select customize.  It would be even nicer to have user-defined text that you could add and then pick from a selection list within the customize option.  I would be in heaven:)  Thanks for trying!

Message 5 of 8
Square Community Moderator

These are great suggestions @rhuberty I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request.

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 8

Done - Thanks!

Message 7 of 8

Today I learned something new.  If you predefine item descriptions and then add an item to an invoice and then add your own personal note, the end result is that the original item description is printed with your note added at the very bottom.  The only way you actually know this has happened is by printing or previewing your invoice.  The note section of the invoice should default in from the item master description and you should SEE IT at the time you are creating the invoice - IT SHOULD NOT SHOW UP BLANK.  You should then be able to add your own custom notes anywhere within this default item description text or modify it accordingly.  Having sold ERP solutions for 20+ years this is screwed up in a major way.  Rick, [redacted for seller privacy

Message 8 of 8