x

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way 2 take partial payments 4 an invoice?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Little late with an update here, but wanted to make sure y'all know this is possible with Square Progress Invoices!

You can schedule multiple payments on a Square Invoice by following these steps 

Joe
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Hi there, @LiaJmt - thanks for adding your voice here and checking in on this feature! Good to hear from you. Same to you, @BIONICONE - welcome! 

You may be looking specifically for our newly introduced Deposit Feature for Invoices. This will also allow you to create a single invoice to track multiple payments and reduce the amount of time you have to spend reconciling multiple payments (deposit, follow-up payments) to a single transaction or sale.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for! 

336 Comments
Square Community Moderator

@briansmith84 I hear your frustration, and I'm sorry we don't have any additional information for you at this time other than what's been mentioned in the previous 9 pages. 

As soon as we get new information on this, we'll be sure to update everyone. Hopefully we can get something rolled out for our sellers sooner rather than later. 

Keep an eye out for updates. 

Personally, I think you should take a different approach in terms of communicating with people on this matter. One that removes the "dangling promise" and simply says "we are aware that this is an issue for many Square users, however at this time our priorities are elsewhere and for the foreseeable future, we will not be offerring this feature".  The other option would be to offer a timetable for introduction of the feature:  "we understand that many users have expressed a need for this feature.  Currently it is in development.  We will roll out a pilot of the feature by _____; and antcipate to have it fully functional by _____".    Without such clear and transparent communication, you are simply inviting more wrath from frustrated users - some of whom will clearly leave.

One more small business chiming in for the need for partial payments on invoices that we send and PAY SQUARE an extra .15% for the conveniece.  We extend ourselves in our businesses to benefit our customers that cannot afford to pay everything upon delivery.  However, Square won't extend themselves to help us with a fairly simple request that their programmers can surely figure out.  Anyway, whenEVER it becomes an option, it will be a great, great benefit to small businesses.  Sooner...is always better.  I agree with the person saying that Square needs to either give a timeframe; or, tell us that isn't not going to happen anytime soon.  I surmise that they are just playing the game to keep their current customers from leaving and finding another processor that offers partial payments.  Such is life in business...as we all know.  But, this appears to have a good following of businesses that would and could use this feature.  Heck, they could even charge us an extra .15% for the use of such a feature and many of us would bite.

I also need this option. I am making an extra modifier in each item labeled 50% down payment - balance due upon delivery. Then invoice the customer the balance before I deliver. Thankful for the mobile invoicing we have now.

It it would be soooo nice to have a down payment button with an adjustable percentage. Then have square remember the card used for the down payment so charging the balance would be streamlined. 

Alumni

@AWoodenTouch thanks for adding your thoughts to this thread, we'll make sure to update it when we have news. Definitely see with a custom woodworking business how this would be helpful. If you have an Instagram or website, feel free to share it here - I'd love to see your designs! 

Beta Member

Thumbs up for another square user that would greaty benefit from this feature! Right now we have to use a 50% discount to label as deposit. We dont track inventory so it works OK but would prefer an alternative method so the customer can see the remaining balance and pay when they're ready. Thanks!!

Hello @staticms

I will make sure to flag your post to the product team! We are still currently tracking feature requests for this issue. 

Then please add me to the list of businesses requesting this feature. I just realized that I'm likely messing up my accounting by using 50% discount in order to indicate the total purchase amount and then the partial payment, followed by a second totall purchase amount followed by the balance of the payment.  This is clearly a highly requested feature. I'm amazed that over a year as gone by since the first post on this thread and there is no resolution!

We have this issue as well and would love to have a downpayment or deposit option.  We have to order parts for customers frequently, and also like to take a deposit if the service will end up costing more than the item we are working on. 

We also do rental bikes and take a deposit (or credit card hold) for the bike until it is returned.  

We have yet to figure out a good system for the first situation, and use another processing company for the bike rental deposits.  It would be great to have the process streamlined.

We offer lay-a -way for high ticket items in our retail shop.  What is the best way to accept deposits from customers towards the purchase of the item using square?  I was wondering if Square had a partial payment option in their invoicing system.