x

Dine-in restaurant hold items line

Just wanted to share a little workaround we thought of for highlighting items on kitchen tickets as HOLD items, items to be served at a later stage during a meal.

On other restaurant systems, this is usually done with a line separating items on the ticket. However, this is not possible in Square.

So we created a modifier instead. The modifier has 2 options: OK & HOLD. We set the modifier so that a server would have to choose one of these two options when sending a ticket to the kitchen. We set OK as the default choice. We applied the modifier to all food items. That way, all tickets sent to the kitchen have that additional description under every item, either OK or HOLD, so they know when to prepare each dish.

We've also hidden the modifier from the customer's receipt.

So that's basically it. Pretty simple I know, doesn't really add too much delay to the ordering process and it's simple enough for everyone to understand. We're happy with it.

Hope this helps other restaurants out there. Maybe others thought of this before us, so kudos to the tortured like-minded souls out there. 🙂

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

Nice! Thanks for sharing this tip, @ourmomeugenia. That's a solid workaround for that feature.  

I hope others find it useful as well!

Message 2 of 4

I know this post is over a year old but I'm looking for a work around to the issue of menu items printing in kitchen at same time when ticket is saved. Your idea seems doable but I'm curious if it worked out for you in the long run. Are you still doing it the way you described?

My issue is Salads or Appetizers vs entrees. Customers want salads and or appitizers first, entree 10-15 minutes later. So I woud create modifier set of OK and HOLD 15 on entree items. If OK, cooks can cook right away. If HOLD 15 they have to know to start 15 minutes from the time on the ticket which is when it was saved because customer has salad or appetizers on an order. It's going to really irritate the cooks but this is the only idea I have even seen that might work. 

Thanks, 

KIrk

Message 3 of 4

Hey @ourmomeugenia! I'm just sneding you an @ mention since another seller in this thread has a question for you. 

@Elks409 just a little secret, if you @ mention someone they'll get an email. 😉

Message 4 of 4