x

Directing customers to chip reader

My apologies if this has been covered. I've tried searching the community threads to no avail.

Because the contactless/chip reader slot is at the top/back of the reader, as opposed to the bottom like most keypad/card reader combos, customers need to be prompted to "insert [their] card at the top, chip first," for every transaction.  This sounds like a small inconvenience but when you're processing 30 payments every 10 minutes for a few hours at a time,  this can become tedious and actually slow our ticket times a small percentage. 

Does anyone have any solutions?  Other than educating my staff to inform the customers, all I can think of is to design a custom wrap of sorts that tells you where and how to use your card.  

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller Alumni

Agree,  I don't use the reader stand I just velcroed it to the counter so it is laying flat.  We don't have a problem with it like that.  How many of your customers use the contactless payment?  If very few you might think of just turning it around too.

Message 2 of 5

I've considered doing that.  Would that mean it would be connected via Bluetooth (not a fan). Our cash drawer is white so an even more low profile reader might cause more problems than it would solve.  I'll give it a shot and see if there's an improvement.  Thanks. 

Message 3 of 5

I've never removed the reader from the stand (other than inserting it in the first place). I don't have it in front of me.  Is the USB cord connected to the stand or the reader itself?  Thinking out loud here mostly, I can check tomorrow. But wouldn't turning it around make the cord facing the customer?  Not a great look.

Message 4 of 5
Super Seller Alumni

You can still connect the reader to the Square stand via USB when it is romoved from the stand.  Yes the cable is in the back of the reader stand so turning it around may not work depending on the setup.

Message 5 of 5