x

Do Barcode Scanners work with Square Terminal?

I am loving the square terminal since I am a grooming salon. The smaller form factor, everything is in one device (instead of the stand and the chip reader), and I would be able to get my ipad back for personal use.

We do occasional retail sales and use a barcode scanner to add items to the sale. Would a barcode scanner work with the new Square Terminal?

Message 1 of 21
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Message 2 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Super Seller

Message 2 of 21
Beta Member

The Bluetooth Socket Scanner is listed as compatible with the Terminal, but I can't find any instructions on how to connect it

Message 3 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Hi @redstickspice!

Here are some instructions from our Support Center on how to connect barcode scanners to your hardware.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 21
Beta Member

Thanks, but this question is specific to the Terminal. I have the Sockets running fine on iPads running both Retail and POS...but there is no way to connect to the Square Terminal. On the Square product page for Socket BT Scanner it lists Square Terminal as compatible.

Message 5 of 21

Ah sorry about that @redstickspice!

Here's the article for connecting supported hardware to the Terminal that should be more help. 

Ashley C
Message 6 of 21
Beta Member

Thanks for the link but this is not helpful as it doesn't work and it doesn't address my question.

Message 7 of 21

@redstickspice Sorry I'm a bit confused.

I thought your question was how to connect your bluetooth scanner to the Terminal.

This link gives you step-by-step instructions on how to do so. Can you clarify what your question is?

Ashley C
Message 8 of 21

@ashc I think @redstickspice's question was specifically about a bluetooth scanner that was listed as compatible with terminal, but the resource link you provided only addresses how to set up USB connected scanners & devices.

Message 9 of 21

Hey @jtdegree!

The article I sent actually has a section for bluetooth scanners if you scroll down a bit. 

Ashley C
Message 10 of 21

It doesn't show how to operate the bar code scanner. How do you register the item in the inventory? Do i just enter the bar code number in SKU? What about the item which have no number? 

Message 11 of 21
Admin

Hey @Alexandrio

You have the ability to add SKUs, or a UPC to the SKU field when creating or editing items with the Square or the Online Dashboard. 

If you’re using your iPad, Android Device, Square Register, or Square Terminal, scan the SKU or UPC into the SKU field when creating an item. To do this on your iPad:

1. From your in-app menu, tap Items > tap All Items to see your item library.
  2. Tap Create Item.
  3. Scan the bar code.

The scanned SKU or UPC code will appear in the SKU field. Enter additional price points, sizes, or SKUs/UPCs by tapping the fields below if you haven't so already.

If you've already created the item in your inventory, then you can just manually type in the SKU or UPC code (either in the Square App under Items, or in your Online Dashboard under Items).

If your items don't have bar code labels or SKU/UPC codes, you may want to consider upgrading to Square for Retail, which allows you to generate your own bar code labels for your items. Feel free to reply in this thread with any additional questions. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 12 of 21

When checking out utilizing barcodes, it does not input the product I scan in the order. It is only pulling it up in the search field. At which point I have to manually touch the item on the screen and enter quantities. Is there a way that I am missing that will simply add the scanned item to the current checkout and allow me to proceed to scanning another item?

We have barcoded the entire store to save time with the checkout process and if we have to touch the screen after scanning every item it doesn't save us any time.

Please advise on how to speed the checkout process up?

Thanks

Message 13 of 21
Alumni

Hey @djhamann !

Are you using a supported barcode scanner that's compatible with your POS device? If so, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far? 

Tell me a bit more about your set up and the hardware you're using. 

Justin
Message 14 of 21

I am using the Symbol now "Zebra" LS2208 and when I scan the barcode it enters the data from the barcode in the search field. I then have to touch the terminal "Android Samsung Tab A" connected through an OTG powered USB hub. It won't automatically select the sku and put it in the order.  It clearly is reading the barcode just fine but it seems the input only pulls the sku into the search field. 

First, is what I am experiencing normal or is this something I can troubleshoot?

Can you verify that the system can and does give the user experience of a traditional check out where you scan the items in the basket/cart and it auto-populates the item in the order?

Message 15 of 21

Hey! I'm answering for JustinC while he is out of the office - Is this happening with every single item you scan or only a few? This behavior typically only happens when two items or variations of items have the same SKU and the system isn't sure which one to add. Also, are any of the items you are scanning variably priced and/or have decimal quantities?

From what you are describing, this should be something we can troubleshoot for you, but I want to make sure we have a full picture of what is going on. I can also verify that with our system, you should be able to scan the item and have it enter your cart - and scan it again if you want to add a second item.

A screenshot or video of what is happening could also be useful. 😄

AshleyK
Message 16 of 21

unfortunately i ran out of time before our store opened and decided that while I would much rather work on the android platform, I needed to go down the more proven IOS path. It would be very helpful if there was a suggested cable and otg hub so we would have a clearer path to success right out of the gate. I ran out and got a 9.7 inch ipad and square terminal. Since the iOS migration we have had no hardware issues. I am pleased with the performance currently but do look forward to a more proven android hardware option in the future.

Message 17 of 21
Beta Member

@ashc The link posted has no such list for Bluetooth scanners. It only discusses USB scanners. Are you looking at the same link we are?

Reminder- The original Question is specific to SQUARE TERMINAL.

Message 18 of 21

We have the Square Terminal.

I see the Zebra or Honeywell barcode scanners are compatable, via USB.

But all the photos show USB2 and the only port on the Terminal is a USBC.

What am I missing????

Message 19 of 21

Hi there, @OkgnGiftCo,

We have moved this post to a board where other Sellers discussed this. Also, welcome to the Seller Community! 🥳 We are so happy to have you here. While you are here, we recommend checking out our Orientation & Etiquette.

Ellie
Message 20 of 21
Super Seller

You would need a Terminal Hub which plugs into the USB C on the Terminal and gives a Network port and 3 USB ports.

products/terminal-hub 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 21 of 21