x

Do I have to use Square template to import items?

I need to set up my item library.  Do I have to download the Square template, fill it out and upload it, or if I already have a csv file with the item info, can I just upload that?  I'm not very techy.  I am hoping to avoid having to manually fill in every item on the Square import template, and was hoping to be able to use a pre-existing spreadsheet of items (if I can get my hands on one) to save time and trouble.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 32
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@mrsblastfmr - Welcome to the Seller Community!

Yes you do need to use our template. We don't currently support alternate spreadsheets. Also, you'll want to make sure you don't delete rows or columns from the template.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Alumni

If you have Items already created, hit Export instead of Import which will download your item catalog with the required template.

I just tried it on my demo account, it works 🙂  @DAVEM1901

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 32

Where do I download the square import template spreadsheet?

Message 23 of 32
Admin

@dennis2 You'll want to export your item library as it's empty to get the template:

1. Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Actions > Import Library.
  3. Select Modify Item Library to add new items and update existing items, or Replace Item Library to delete all existing items and replace them with your uploaded items.
  4. Click Next > Click Download your item library to download your current inventory Excel (.xlsx) or .CSV report Export. Select between Excel (recommended) or CSV.
  5. Open the file saved to your computer in a spreadsheet program.
  6. Fill in the template columns with your item information. When editing the template, keep the following tips in mind:
    • Don’t change any of the information in the Item ID column or delete empty columns.
    • Leaving the category field blank will leave the item as Uncategorized.
    • New categories will be created for any new values identified in the Category column.
    • Leaving the price field blank will create a variable priced item.
    • Leaving the modifier field blank will default the modifier to off. Place a “Y” in the appropriate Modifier Set column if you’d like a specific modifier applied to an item.
  7. Save the edited file to your computer.
  8. Drag and drop the file into the upload area or click select it from your computer > Upload.
  9. Review your changes and click Confirm to upload your new item library.

Note: Once you click Confirm, you’re unable to revert back to your previous item library.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 24 of 32

I keep getting errors on this...stating that the descriptions must match for variations...how can this be? I am listing primary part (eg Engine) and variation 1,2 and 3 are 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder. Each of course will have a different description. When loading the template (unchanged), it calls an error stating that all variations must have matching descriptions...how can this be? How on earth do you separate items by size, or color, or type etc?

Message 25 of 32
Alumni

If you're importing items through your Square Dashboard, try running through this guide to avoid any missteps.

If you are importing items via your Square Online website editor, check out this page instead.

If you continue to run into troubles, feel free to get in touch with our team by phone - they'll be happy to work with you to get your items imported, @BigDawgP.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 👋

Valentina
Message 26 of 32

Hi Sean,

I would have been helpful if you had included a link to the template. While Squareup support indicates that you can download the template with the "Import" option on the Items screen, in May, 2021, there is no option to do so. Having a direct access link to the template would be helpful.

Message 27 of 32
Admin

Hey @edacartemporium! Sorry about that.

Even if you have no items in your item library, you should be able to select Items > Export:

That will provide you with the template that you can fill out, and then import. Hope this helps! 🤓

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 28 of 32
Beta Member

where can I find the template? when I go in import library/modify....it does not give me an option to download a template.

Message 29 of 32
Alumni

Choose the export option instead of import. The template will download to device @BLUEPRINTCT

Justin
Message 30 of 32

If I have my previous exportation of my inventory in a certain style (meaning colorways throughout to better organize and view the data) is there a way to import the newly exported square csv file into that same pre-made google sheets/excel page so that it just replaces the old data but keeps the same styling?

Message 31 of 32
Square Community Moderator

If you mean to use this as a personal inventory then I don't see how this would affect your inventory. However, if you are looking to import into Square the styling might affect the outcome of the upload. 

JJ
Message 32 of 32