x

Do I need to use the Square Stand to be able to connect POS hardware?

We are due for a new iPad at our shop, but we do not want to be confined to the options that fit into the Square Stand.  Is it possible to connect our hardware (Square Terminal, barcode scanner, receipt printer & cash drawer) via USB hub directly to an iPad and bypass the stand?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

Hi @badgervapes !

Short answer: maybe. Helpful, huh? 🙂

If you're using the terminal in the connected terminal mode where it acts as your credit card reader, yes you can use any iPad--you're not limited to one that fits in the stand.If you're using it as a standalone terminal then definitely. You don't even need the iPad at that point.

The same is true for your contactless reader: you can connect that via bluetooth and keep on selling. You'll need to charge it with a standard wall plug but it'll work.

Now, for the barcode scanner, printer, and drawer. There are third party USB devices that will interact with iOS, but there aren't any that are supported by Square. They may be able to drive your peripherals and interact with Square, but I don't think you can rely on it being consistently connected. So, it may work but I wouldn't recommend it.

I know there are bluetooth scanners, printers, and cash drawers that don't require the stand to operate with Square, but I don't know how much you want to invest in the upgrade.

Semi-good news I guess!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 2