x

Does Square Reader charge Monthly? Or just a percentage?

Hi I just got my reader today. I linked my savings account to it. I won't make sales until maybe a month or so. My business is super super slow. Does this card reader charge monthly? or does it charge just the per transaction fee?

(Note: As of 2019 Square's per tranaction fee for transactions that are tapped, dipped or swiped is 2.6% + 10c. To learn more, visit our Support Center.)

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Just the per transaction fee for each swiped or dipped charge. No monthly fees!! Hope this answers your question. You can learn more about how Square processing fees work here: Understanding Our Fees | Square PaymentsOr check out this informative video!

[This reply was edited by a moderator on August 26, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing structure.]

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Just the per transaction fee for each swiped or dipped charge. No monthly fees!! Hope this answers your question. You can learn more about how Square processing fees work here: Understanding Our Fees | Square PaymentsOr check out this informative video!

[This reply was edited by a moderator on August 26, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing structure.]

Message 2 of 16

Thank you Sooooo Much Ron!! I appreciate your time to help me answer my question. I was worried that it would charge me monthly out of my savings account. Thanks you again!!

Message 3 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

@silva  My pleasure, glad I could help.

Message 4 of 16

what is the percentage charge without the card reader?

Message 5 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

No percentage charge for cash purchases. You only pay a fee for credit/debit charges. Fees are below.

Message 6 of 16

What is the fee for the test sale you do when you first set up your account?  I have not received my reader yet so I typed in the data.

Thanks for your help.

[personal information redacted]

Message 7 of 16
Admin

Hi @bunyan109, welcome to the seller community! There's no fee to do a test payment — just be sure to refund the payment and you'll receive the full amount back. For more specifics on fees, have a look here: What are Square's Fees?

Hope this helps clear things up. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 8 of 16

Where am I able to draw the monthly cost for the service from?

Message 9 of 16
Square Community Moderator

@JV13 thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community!

It's free to use Square Point of Sale, we charge on a per-transaction basis for card payments. If you need to view a summary of the fees charged on your card payments, you can generate a Sales Summary Report to view this information.

You do have the option of subscribing to a paid service, however, such as Square Appointments Plus. 

If you are using a paid service with Square and want to view your plan details, navigate from your online Square Dashboard to Account & Settings > Business > Pricing & Subscriptions.

Let us know if you have any further questions here.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 16

My business doesn't have very many credit card transactions, it's mostly cash. Is there a monthly minimum for credit cards transactions  that square requires for my account to stay open? 

Message 11 of 16
Super Seller

No, that is one of the great features of Square, there are no monthly contracts or monthly fees or monthly minimums.  So you can use it once a month, or weekly, or daily and it won't matter.  I believe you will find that once a customer can pay with a credit card they are much more likely to buy more than they would have with cash.  It's a subliminal connection between numbers on a bill going up vs cash leaving their hands.

Good luck and post any questions you come up with here.

Message 12 of 16

OK, I get that it charges a fee on transactions, but while browsing the site I recall coming across dormancy charges. Are there and if so, what are the charges. I only go to a few events a year were I need to process cards.

Message 13 of 16
Super Seller

Message 14 of 16
Square

Thanks for your help with this one, @VanKalkerFarms

Hi @Cnagel24 and welcome to the Seller Community! I went ahead and combined your question with another thread that covered the same topic. I'd encourage you to search a bit before posting, not that we don't want to hear from you! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 15 of 16

Thank you, @Sean! This thread actually does not cover the question I asked. I was not asking about a monthly fee. I did search and saw nothing on minimum transactions per month, only on monthly fees, which is why I created a new question. However I do appreciate the help. Thank you!

Also, Thank you @VanKalkerFarms for answering my question! 

Message 16 of 16