x

Does Square offer conditional, criteria, or quantity based discounts?

I want to put an item on the online store that will be discounted 10% if the quantity is 2 or more.

I tried using pre-discounted price points but the customer still has the option to choose a quantity, which throws everything off when they choose anything but a quantity of 1.

I could omit the pre-discounted price points and use a discount code but I only want the code to be applicable if the quantity is 2 or more.

Is this possible?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 200
199 REPLIES 199

Am I missing this?  I don't see a way to apply quantity discount pricing/options to items.

Message 148 of 200
Square Community Moderator

Hey @MikeN,

Sorry for the confusion. This post is very old and reflects the options on our old online store.

The new Square Store doesn't have capabilities for conditional discounts at this time but it's a feature request we're tracking here.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 149 of 200

I was trying to test it out. Any chance I'm going to be able to do something like this? Where if you buy 1 its $125, but if you buy 30 its $0.90 each, and even a grid or something similar? One thing to note is that if it is 15 white and 15 black it wouldn't qualify for the discount (each colour is a variant).

If this works I'm eager to switch platforms! 🙂 

https://silverfoxvinyl.com/products/oracal-651-vinyl?variant=209[Redacted]1

Message 150 of 200

Sorry, one more question. Any chance this is going to work on the ecommerce platform? I'm really hoping it will, so I can switch platforms! 🙂 

Message 151 of 200
Square

Thanks taylorwiebe,

As far as 1 for $1.25, 30 or more for $0.90 each, that could be done by setting up a $0.35 volume discount on quantities of 30 or more.  (use the minimum purchase quantity setting).

If you want the discount to apply separately to different colors, it would be necessary to set up a separate discount for each color. (so 15 white + 15 black are full price, but 30 white get the discounted rate)

Integration with Square Ecom is a priority, but isn't supported in the initial release.

Message 152 of 200
Square

Volume Discounts are now available to all sellers!

Just go to Items > Discounts >Create a Discount in Dashboard

Volume Discount configuration is available under "Auto Apply to Items and Categories"

Message 153 of 200

This is probably a dumb question, but is there anyway to make this work on the ecommerce site, where the discounts automatically apply if it meets the criteria?

Message 154 of 200

I am also interested in this question. Would love to have this for online sales as well!

Message 155 of 200
Square

Thanks for your feedback!  It helps us to prioritize.

The version of the feature that we have just launched supports automatic application on all Square POS products.  Support in the Orders APIs, Virtual Terminal, Square Invoices, and ECom are important to us, and will be released when those features are ready. 

Message 156 of 200

thank you so much, its really helps a lot!!!
Message 157 of 200

Thank you so much. This is perfect! I edited my items and set up the discount rules, tested them, and really like the results. Thank you again. This functionality streamlines our checkout process and I appreciate that the receipts will show my customers the original prices plus the accumulated volume discounts they've received. 

Message 158 of 200
Beta Member

Does the feature work in the UK and does it work on the POS

Thanks

Message 159 of 200

Hi @Pricecutfood! Yes, this available in the UK. Here are some more facts about Discounts

Kassi
Message 160 of 200
Beta Member

Hi

Is it not possible then to do 3 for £1, I can get it to 3 for 99p but not £1

Message 161 of 200
Square

We don't yet support fixed price discounts, where you set the discounted price (£1) rather than an amount or percentage to discount.  So to do 3 for £1, you would need to calculate the amount or percentage discount that makes the total add up correctly.  For example, if each item is normally £0.50, you would need to create an (admittedly awkward) 33.33% discount.  Fixed price discounts are on our roadmap, however!

Message 162 of 200

In order to implement a dollar off an order of 3 tacos, normally $4 each, I used percentage. I was trying to discount the third taco by 25%, so I had to evenly discount all affected tacos by 8.33%. Worked like a charm. Even an order of 300 tacos gives an even $100 off.

Message 163 of 200
Beta Member

@tbook yes, I have got it now thanks, it is awkward but once done, its done. Looks like a busy Monday for me now. 

Message 164 of 200
Beta Member

I was excited to see that steps had been made on the conditional discount feature.  Still, not quite what I'm looking for, and perhaps others as well.

Need the feature to work for BOTH Item Quantity and Item Category at the same time.  It isn't as simple as if it's this item you get money off.  

I am a bit frustrated with Square on this issue because I do see the feature working on many other platforms / sites which I shop on.  

I have had to build out different discounts for each combination of volume.  I discount at multiples of 3, so I have now, a separate discount for 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 etc.  I've forced it to work for Sales at the POS this way, but cannot get it to work on the new Square store.

The additional frustration comes with the overall accounting of the transaction on the backend.  Every time one of the discounts is applied to an order where other items exist, the discount amount is spread across all items in the transaction, not only those which qualified for the discount.  This throws off my revenue per item / per category calculations as well as my margin calculations.  I have to go back to each transaction where a discount was applied and re-work the gross and net amounts.

Any further progress to clean up these features would be outstanding!

Thanks

Message 165 of 200
Alumni

@Dogalicious - Thanks for adding your voice here! I see where you're coming from and I'll be sure to surface these pain points to the Product Team so they make improvements to the discounts feature. 

Updates will be posted here so keep an eye out! 

Justin
Message 166 of 200

Any update on this coming to the Ecommerce platform? Specially I am looking for something so that I can use the ecommerce platform, and have different price breaks (1 for $1, 3 for $2 idea). I'd love to use Square! 🙂

Message 167 of 200

Hey! No updates as of yet, but keep posting for the feature requests you want as these requests really do help our product managers. 😄

AshleyK
Message 168 of 200