x

Does Square offer conditional, criteria, or quantity based discounts?

I want to put an item on the online store that will be discounted 10% if the quantity is 2 or more.

I tried using pre-discounted price points but the customer still has the option to choose a quantity, which throws everything off when they choose anything but a quantity of 1.

I could omit the pre-discounted price points and use a discount code but I only want the code to be applicable if the quantity is 2 or more.

Is this possible?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 200
199 REPLIES 199

Hello, 

Are there plans to add pricing tiers for items?  I am a bulk reseller and have variable pricing based on quantity.  So far the discount system does not work how I would like it to as the discount only applies to the quantity and when more items are added to the sale ticket, they are priced regular instead of the tiered pricing.  Is there is a way or workaround to do this?  If not, I think this is a feature that would be most appreciated. 

Message 169 of 200
Square Community Moderator

Hi @JStees!

I moved your post to this existing thread about volume/conditional discounts because updates about new discount features are typically posted here!

There's some new updates on volume discounts that is listed on Page 1 of this thread that you might be able to check out and see if that helps!

In the meantime- I'll let the Product Team know you're looking for pricing tiers too! I see how that would be useful for your business. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 170 of 200
Square

Hi @JStees 

There are two types of volume discounts - minimum quantity and exact quantity.  It sounds like you want minimum quantity discounts.  For example, if your pricing was:

1-99 widgets -  $1.00 / each

100-499 - $0.90 / each

500+ - $0.75 / each

you could set up two minimum quantity discounts - one with a quantity of 100 and a 10% or 10 cent discount, and one with a quantity of 500 and a 25% or 25 cent discount, and the pricing should work as desired.

Message 171 of 200
Admin

Hey everyone! 🌟

You can create four types of automatic discounts:

Item or Category:
Quantity
Recurring
Limited Time

If you'd like to learn more about what each of these types of discounts offer, take a look here

[Updated by Moderator on October 13th, 2020]

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 172 of 200
Beta Member

This way is just for at the POS correct? How can I get this to work with Online ordering? 

Message 173 of 200

Hey @RealDealGrill,

This is just for in-person orders with the POS.

We don't offer these discount options for the Online Store but there are coupon codes on the Online Store you can use.

Ashley C
Message 174 of 200
Beta Member

Thanks for you work on behalf of the POS people for this topic.  However, my need is solely for On-Line.  Especially now.  

I understand the coupon codes, but my customers hate having to find them.  And, I can't get more than one coupon code to apply to any on-line order.   It would be wonderful to have the feature we've requested be built to suit the on-line platform as well.

Thanks!

Message 175 of 200

Hi @Dogalicious and thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have a timeline on when this will be available but I would encourage you to check out our Beta Community to join and potentially get access to new features first when we test them out.

Ashley C
Message 176 of 200

This is music to my ears. This is the most magical part of the entire year. This is why SquareUp is the absolute best.

The amount of improvements SquareUp has made over this past year, makes me feel so well cared for. 

I may have felt like jumping ship in the past, but now I’m loyal to the bone.

We love you SquareUp!

Message 177 of 200

I currently sell a product that is $6, and drops down to $5 when a customer purchases 5 or more.  Is there an option to do this?  

Message 178 of 200
Alumni

Try Automatic discounts which allows you to set discount rules based off criteria like item or quantity. 

Check out the link in Isabelle's post above @Zim

Justin
Message 179 of 200

Thank you!

Message 180 of 200
Beta Member

Hi Justin,

This is just for in person on the POS, correct?  Any update when this will be available for the online platform?  This seems to be a very popular option that many of your competitors seem to be able to handle. 

Message 181 of 200

Hiya @thegourmetgrano,

This is just for POS, correct. I can't say if/when these kind of discounts will be available for the online store but there's existing feature requests for it within the Community going for it already.

Ashley C
Message 182 of 200

I really need this tiered pricing / discount to work in my online store. I need to setup a % or flat discount based on the quantity of particular items. I've looked back in the history of this thread and it is over 3 years old. This needs to happen. 

Message 183 of 200

I am also in need of this option to work for my online store. I'm really surprised it's a feature for POS but not online. I have been actively looking at other companies to switch if this does not happen in the next few months when my plan is up for renewal. Discounts and group sales are part of my business model and if this has been an ongoing request for 3+ years without resolution,  I'm not sure if I picked the right platform. 

Message 184 of 200

I would be interested in knowing what you find. I like Square for my POS, but the online store has it's limitations with shipping / and obviously - the tiered discount feature. However, I want to make sure it syncs with my square POS inventory. 

Message 185 of 200
Beta Member

I've looked at the automatic discounts and can't quite do what I want. Is there a way to do this …

Product A is $10

Product B is $5

If a customer buys both product A and product B then the total price is $12. I'm fine with applying a percentage discount to both items to get the correct total price, which is what I do manually right now. But I would like to automatically apply that discount to those items if both are in the cart together so the cashier doesn't have to remember.

I would really like to market many more product bundles like this but it is too error prone to do manually.

Message 186 of 200

Wow, this topic has been going for 5 years with little resolved. Is this too challenging for the development team?

And this feature needs to apply to POS and online store as well. There should be little OR no disparity between POS and Online versions.

Message 187 of 200
Beta Member

Square released auto discounts for POS a couple years ago, it works pretty well.  I'm pleased with it.  I don't think they have that option yet for online sales.  The online sales interface is much newer, so I suppose they just haven't gotten there yet.  Also, we don't offer the same discounting online that we do in our store, so the inability to auto discount online isn't an issue for us.

Message 188 of 200

Would love to see this worked out for Online Sales! C'mon Square.

Message 189 of 200