x

Does Square offer conditional, criteria, or quantity based discounts?

I want to put an item on the online store that will be discounted 10% if the quantity is 2 or more.

I tried using pre-discounted price points but the customer still has the option to choose a quantity, which throws everything off when they choose anything but a quantity of 1.

I could omit the pre-discounted price points and use a discount code but I only want the code to be applicable if the quantity is 2 or more.

Is this possible?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 200
199 REPLIES 199

Something else that would be great: if a customer purchases a specific item, we would like to give an item for free. For example, we're using Square in a school context. We are selling business ads and would like to offer a free yearbook for each ad purchase. I haven't seen any way of doing this.

Thanks

Message 190 of 200
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @amptc 👋

What you're describing is possible on our POS platform but it is still a feature request for Square Online. 

In case you were looking into how to do it from Square Point of Sale, here are the steps to setup Quantity Discounts: 

You can set up three types of quantity discounts:

• Exact Quantity: When you add an exact item quantity to your cart, the discount will automatically trigger and apply to the item cost.

• Minimum Purchase Quantity: When you add a minimum quantity of an item to your cart, a discount will apply to all of the specified items.

• Buy One, Get One: When a customer buys a specified quantity of an item or category, a discount will apply towards additions of the same item or towards different item(s) added to the cart. For example, you can create a BOGO discount so that when a customer purchases 2 hats, they’ll receive 50% off the cost of a scarf.

Note: If you’d like to set up a buy one, get one free discount, just make sure to set the discount percentage amount to 100%.

To get started:

1. Visit Items > Discounts in your online Square Dashboard.

2. Click Create a Discount and add a name and discount amount. Note: If you’d like to set up a buy one, get one free discount, just make sure to set the discount percentage amount to 100%.

3. Toggle on Auto Apply to Items and Categories.

4. Click Quantity.

5. Add the required quantity and select the items or categories you want to include.

6. Next set your Discount Rule. You’ll have three options for setting up your quantity discount:

• Exact Purchase Quantity

• Minimum Purchase Quantity

• Buy One, Get One

1. Select exact or minimum quantity, and save the discount. If you selected Buy One, Get One, specify the quantity and items the buyer will receive at a discount, and then click Save.

You can update an existing discount at any time by clicking Edit Purchase Rule from the discount details page.

Quantity-based discounts also work with schedule or date range features. For example, you could create a Minimum Purchase Quantity every Saturday or for the month of December for holiday specials.

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 191 of 200

Hi JJ

This has been a feature request for 5 years now, do I really need to switch from Square to get this simple feature online.? Surely you folks have figured it out by now!

Message 192 of 200

Just to add to this thread, I was evaluating the online store but lacking quantity discounts made it unusable for me. I need 1 for $10, 2 for $9, 5 for $8, and 10 for $7. It's too bad because there are a lot of things to like about the store designer.

Message 193 of 200
Beta Member

I'm going to speak up because this is a crucial feature that from the looks of it has been requested/in progress for about 6 years now. As a bakery, we need to have the option to discount a dozen items without ruining our inventory count. Also, if no one else mentioned it already, a bundle feature would be great for the business to add to keep accurate track of stock. For example. If I sell a Valentine's Day gift box that includes 2 of each cupcakes, brownies, strawberries, macarons and a greeting card, I would need it to pull from each item's inventory so we don't oversell our products. 

Message 194 of 200
Beta Member

Is there an update on this functionality?

I spoke to someone at the help desk who showed me how to set up conditional discounts for when a customer is shopping in person through Square for Retail. This is great but the discount didn't work with Square Online. We need something that has cross over between Square for Retail for in person shopping and Square Online.

We sell bagels and when people order Half Dozen (6) or Baker's Dozen (13) they get a discount. Right now customers choose the quantity, then the flavor. We'd love for people to be anble to add individual bagel flavors to their order and have the half dozen and baker's dozen discounts get applied automatically once they reach 6 or 13 in their cart. This would allow for better control of the inventory of each flavor. Right now we just lump all flavors together and people order a single, half dozen or baker's dozen and then choose their flavors. 

Message 195 of 200

Hi @ZDeli 👋 

It is not possible to use the Square discounts on the online store yet, however, this is a feature the team is working on and it will (hopefully) be available soon. I do not have an exact ETA to provide, but I can confirm it is on the roadmap.  😊                                                                                                                      

Message 196 of 200

I also just wanted to follow up on this topic for the online sales channel. I’d love to have quantity specific discounts automatically apply at checkout for customers shopping online. 

Message 197 of 200

Hey @BGRefinery,

Welcome to the Community.

Have you had a chance to view this Best Answer from @BernadetteA?

I understand how inconvenient this situation can be. Although this may not be the answer you were hoping for, if there are any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Message 198 of 200

Like many of the sellers on this forum, I'm surprised that you still don't have the ability to seamlessly calculate graduated discounts in-store or online. We are opening our cookie bakery in just under a month. We used Square at the farmers market and love it. However, I'm afraid we will have to choose another POS that calculates stepped volume discounts. In a similar situation to @ZDeli, and others above, whether online or in-store, when someone orders any 4-6 cookies they get an automatic quantity discount. If they order 7-24, a greater discount. 25-144 cookies and an even greater discount. Finally, any cookies over 145, customers get the deepest discount. If you tell me that this common quantity discount practice isn't compatible with Square functionality, we have to choose another option. It makes me sad to write this because there are so many things we absolutely love about Square. 

Message 199 of 200

Welcome to the Seller Community, @KatiesCookies 

The ability to use Square discounts with Square Online is coming soon. I believe the feature has been delayed a bit, but it is a high priority to make this available as soon as possible. 

If you are interested in joining, the Square Online Automatic Discounts beta may still be open for Sellers to join. I linked you to the main beta page so you can see all of the different beta tests available, but the discounts one is towards the bottom of the list. 😊

Message 200 of 200