x

Does Square offer conditional, criteria, or quantity based discounts?

I want to put an item on the online store that will be discounted 10% if the quantity is 2 or more.

I tried using pre-discounted price points but the customer still has the option to choose a quantity, which throws everything off when they choose anything but a quantity of 1.

I could omit the pre-discounted price points and use a discount code but I only want the code to be applicable if the quantity is 2 or more.

Is this possible?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 200
199 REPLIES 199
Admin

Hi @Jacks143 - it sounds like you're looking for a quantity-based discount which isn't a feature that is available with Square yet. We're tracking this popular request over in this thread and also sharing updates about new features, for example we launched Automatic Discounts earlier this year.

Can you reply here to le me konw if you were looking for something else? I'm happy to take another look. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 22 of 200
Beta Member

I'd like to know if there is any updates on this topic, seems like it began in 2017/18 and here we are in 2021. I'd like to run a sale on buy x get $ off or x free. how can i do this. seem like square should have come up with something by now. if they have, can you direct me? Thanks. (I am not a food based store, I am a goods retailer)

Message 23 of 200

Is this provided yet? It's getting pretty critical in my store...

Message 24 of 200
Beta Member

yes, this feature has been available for a few years.  in the items menu, go to discounts.

Message 25 of 200

Trying to work that out... creating discounts on a different page seems overly complex. 

I have a lot of products where the price depends on the number. E.g.

1-29: $1.60 each 

30+: $0.80 each

100+: $0.65 each

...and so on. Different prices and steps for all these products. Working all of these out as separate (and odd, e.g. -39.625% in this example!!) percentages, and that on a different page, seems very complicated indeed.

Message 26 of 200
Beta Member

Michael -- I've been able to create 'Discounts' that apply the correct $ off.  This is much easier than %.  On mine, $4 each or 3/$10.  I have built a discount of $2 for a 3 item bundle.

I still cannot have this Automatically applied to my sales - either POS nor On-Line.  I must manually apply this discount (and all the others I had to create) in order to achieve the pricing stucture I need.  Hope this helps.

Message 27 of 200
Beta Member

Dogalicious,

this sounds like a pretty straight forward auto discount, at least in the POS (square doesn't have auto discount feature online yet).  are you sure you're filling out all the details of the discount and adding the items you want discounted?  we have similar discounts that figure automatically at our store.

Message 28 of 200
Beta Member

you can set your discounts based on dollar amounts as well as percentages.  the examples you listed sound pretty straight forward and easy to do in square.  you can also include multiple items in the same discount.

some of the features in square POS are a bit cumbersome, but keep in mind, it's a free system.  similar POS software with slightly more powerful features can cost $1,000's to tens of $1,000's.  and square is very good at constantly updating and improving the app.

Message 29 of 200

Rob,

OK.. I see how to enter it, but it does not work yet (yes, I tried this on the POS). Sometimes things need time to propagate, so I'll try again later to put through a sale for 31 scans, say.

One issue I do see is that these are all going to be in the list of discounts - that list will be many hundreds of lines long, making it impractical to use manually... also the item upon checkout will still say the high price, and only calculate the price after it's put through. That may be inevitable, I guess. More thinking required on my part.

Message 30 of 200

I too need this functionality. Hoping it gets added soon!

Message 31 of 200
Super Seller

YES to conditional pricing.

Most of our items are 4 or more and you get $x.xx off or others are 6 or more and you get $x.xx off.  we set up multiple prices so it works but that is if the employee remembers to do it.  What would really complicate it is in our pricing multiple items can be combined to get the 6 or more pricing so you could have 2 of XX 3 of XY and 2 of YY and that qualifies for the discount and a few employees let a few of those discounts slip past which inevitably come back complaining that we are ripping them off on purpose.

Message 32 of 200

While it still requires "employee memory", I'm inclined to think you might be better off using Discounts. You could set up an XX, XY, YY, etc  discount for each product combo or if appropriate use "Any TWO", "10oz Family Size", etc. The problem here is I believe that Discounts apply to the entire Invoice. i.e., a 3% discount on A and a 2% discount on B will result in a 5% discount on the entire Invoice. Perhaps the easiest way would be for the Register to apply the discount only to the line item previously entered. That seems doable.

Discounting also has some PR value as the Invoice clearly shows the savings whearas a price point would not unless it was included in the label. Sounds messy. 

Message 33 of 200

I have three items each priced at 1.00.  I want to sell a bundle of them for less than 3.00.  Anyone know how to do this AND have inventory automatically reduce the quantities of items appropriately?

Message 34 of 200

I would also like to see conditional discounts. I sell one unit at $9 and offer a discounted rate of $25 for 3 units. I've set up a discount for this but often times the customer wants to buy 6, 9, etc... I initially tried using bundles of 3 but my inventory wasn't reflected correctly since I don't phycally bundle them until the point of sale. It isn't convenient to create a new discount for every incriment and I'd like to avoid the human error of forgetting to apply the discount (or needing to build a new discount on the fly). The lack of this feature is worsened by having to switch to the discounts page and back each time (I use the android app) I need to apply a discount. The "All Items" screen should include all items, discounts included.

There are several features I need to make square worth my time and this is one of them. (entering post-date/editing/deleting non CC sales is another one).

Please and Thank you.

MerVino

Message 35 of 200

Any update on this requested feature? I really need this option badly as current discount options are getting out of control and making employees and customers unhappy with the errors that it causes.

Please give some updates.

Message 36 of 200

I was trying to see if you can have two price points for an item with the same sku such as frito lay peanuts that are priced at 59 cents each or 2 for $1 how can I set this up ? 

Message 37 of 200
Super Seller

You can set multiple price points for an item but Square doesn't automatically change the price based on quantity or bundling.  So if someone checks out with 2 items you would select the 2 for $1 price option while adding it to the transaction.

Message 38 of 200

I am looking for same options.

Message 39 of 200
Square Community Moderator

@Owens_market371 @Revive

There isn't a way to automatically trigger a quantity based discount, but it is a popular feature. 

Check out this existing thread for a bit more details and a few work arounds: Conditional, Criteria, or Quantity Based Discounts?

Message 40 of 200

Is there a way I can add the discount on a condition being met or at least total the Invoice before a discount is applied? 

I also want to offer my customers the option to Direct Transfer and avoid the 2.5% fee. I have figured this out by adding in the notes something like..If paid by Credit Card a 2.5% Service fee is applicable. I then add this as a cost to the Invoice but also offer a $2.5% discount and in the notes say this is only applicable if paid by direct transfer.

At the least I would like the total Invoice to reflect the amount including fees. When I offer the discont this is taken off the total but I only want this conditional on what option they use to pay.

Any help with this problem greatly appreciated.

Message 41 of 200
Square

Hi @lazydays — It looks like another seller had a similar question, and received an answer in this thread. Check it out. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 42 of 200