x

Does Square offer conditional, criteria, or quantity based discounts?

I want to put an item on the online store that will be discounted 10% if the quantity is 2 or more.

I tried using pre-discounted price points but the customer still has the option to choose a quantity, which throws everything off when they choose anything but a quantity of 1.

I could omit the pre-discounted price points and use a discount code but I only want the code to be applicable if the quantity is 2 or more.

Is this possible?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 200
199 REPLIES 199

So, my work around for this was to create two variations of items. I've got two DVDs and when bought together there's a $10 discount. So I created a "bundle" variation which discounts each by $5.

It's still very manual but I don't have to play inventory tricks either.

I don't know how well it will work as I'll be trying it for the first time next weekend.

Message 43 of 200

Not looking for a workaround any longer, we need a real solution. Officially square needs to make an announcement if they are going to support this feature or not and if yes when. There are many pos systems out there supporting something like this and square needs to up their game.

Message 44 of 200

I like your solution!  At least it maintains my inventory count your way!  Thx

Message 45 of 200

It might not after all. It appears to track it as a separate inventory item. But I'll be able to reconcile the negative number at least.

Message 46 of 200

Thx SethHolmes,

It misses it by "Just This Much"🤦🏻‍♀️ But getting closer.  This gets as close as I believe Square will ever come for my desired support:  I sell A, B, and C @ $15 each, but I sell an ABC set at $40.  It isn't obvious that I have a set to sell without verifying 3 separate inventories.  Given Squares difficulty getting to volume discounts, I doubt my feature will ever see the light of day.  But it appears your approach might help get customer pricing correct!

Message 47 of 200
Beta Member

I offer discounts on products when groups are purchased.  3 items in this category get a discount on the total; 2 items in this category, etc... 

I can do this when I'm at the Point of Sale, but How do I set up the same thing on the on-line store??

Message 48 of 200
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Dogalicious

I've moved your post to this existing thread that's currently being used to track interest in this feature. 

It's not available at the moment, but as you can see it's one of our most popular requests.

Check out some of the workarounds that your fellow sellers are using. 

If anything changes with this, we'll be sure to update everyone with a Product Update post within the community. 

Message 49 of 200

We also request this feature. We really need the automation of our clients getting $1 off each item when they buy 4. As a nonprofit who really believes in an efficient process to maximize income- this is extremely important.

While, yes, we can create discounts with $4 off for an order of 4, $8 off for an order of 8, and so forth- it is time consuming and can be forgotten by our mobile staff. Discounts needs to be able to be modified based on quantity and be automatic or not.

It has been said that this is a 'popular' request and this thread/request goes back to an year ago. May we inquire on why this has not been accomplished yet? Is it a coding difficulty? Server issue?

Message 50 of 200
Alumni

Hi @AspenCamp - We don't have an updated ETA on if or when this feature might be implemented at this time. However, our Product team is continuously tracking feedback on it and we will update this thread as soon as we hear any further news.

Take a look at our Feature Request process to learn more.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 51 of 200

Just want to add my voice to the rest. Conditional pricing would be a much wanted feature. I love square, you can’t beat their pricing, but I’m afraid I’m outgrowing its capabilities. I hope square grows along with with my growing company. I’d hate to switch to another POS system.

Message 52 of 200

In your item you can add an option. For example I sell lip balm and the pricing is 3 each or 2 for 5 and in the item you can press add price, size, or ski and then call the first one whatever you want then the blank one type in the name of your deal or something you can remember it by and add a different price. Only thing is I would like to see the option for item specific discounts that instead of adding a new price you just add a percent discount and it will take that off the first price option.

Message 53 of 200
Admin

Thank you for your post @Wicked_bath! I definitely see how it would be helpful to have item-specific discounts and I'll share your interest in this feature with the Product Team. If I have any updates in future I'll update this thread! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 54 of 200

I too need this automatic discount!  We offer 5% off if a customer buys 3 or more of something. Manually entering this is very time consuming!  Especially if it is three different variants!  Please and Thanks!

Message 55 of 200

Square doesn’t care about this anymore otherwise we should have seen some improvements in this area. Looks like their focus is now on the retail paid app only.

Message 56 of 200
Admin

Hi @TheSoapOpera and @Revive, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with this. I'm sorry for the frustration—I went to check for an update on this but there isn't a timeline that we can share out right now.

If I may, I wanted to surface another thread where sellers brought up a similar request: Inventory: Can you bundle items together as a single item or special? I realize that it does not completely resolve the issue of manual entry, but please feel free to subscribe to either of these threads for updates. We'll be back with any developments that may be helpful.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 57 of 200

I also need this feature and would echo the concerns raised by others. It does appear that Square aren't really interested in developing the free POS any more and are just focussing on a paid version. I am now seriously considering moving to another POS 😞

We run a small bakery and want to have offers like 'buy a coffee and bacon roll and save £1'. I need the till to automatically discount the £1 when those two items are added. Almost every other POS can do this (admittedly you pay for the software, but it is starting to look like 'you get what you pay for').

Message 58 of 200
Beta Member

Unfortunately this is not a valid work around for me either as I offer over 100 varieties and if a cmr purchases 4 or more they get a discount per soap. It really slows things down at checkout when I have to scroll through discounts to find the right one. I track the type of discount and the sales in the categories. It is a simple  "if/then" type of addition to the app. With the popularity of this post I would think this simple command would be inititiated quickly.

Or allow a negative value on a barcode for people who scan so we could scan a printed tag to take the discount

Message 59 of 200
Alumni

Hi @4192155485

I'm a Product Manager and am working on discounts. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! 

Message 60 of 200

The other issue with the work around suggested is a discount applied applies to the entire purchase, not the items purchased. This throws off the accounting as well as values for returns. 

What I do is strictly pass-through. I collect money for CD/DVD/Book sales for artists who are teaching at our music camps. The money then is paid to them and we absorb the CC fees. When I did create a discount for a "buy 4, save $10" offer one was offering, the discount is applied across the entire sale, not just for that one artist and I have to manually make adjustments so I'm paying people the right amounts.

Message 61 of 200
Alumni

@SethHolmes - you can manually remove discounts from items they should not apply to in the cart (though I understand this is less than ideal). There's a post with screenshots here

Message 62 of 200

Please add me to the long list of those that want quantity-based discounts! 

Message 63 of 200