x

Does Square support Inventory transfers between mobile and storefront locations?

I have 2 locations: 1 StoreFront and another mobile location. Does Square allow inventory transfer between the locations? If yes, how do I transfer certain items between the 2 stores? This is an ongoing process, because we move merchandise between locations on a daily basis. 

If Square does not support it, is there another workaround?

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Square

Great question! While you can share items between locations, inventory tracking will be specific to each location. If you've set up your item library for one location, you can easily transfer all of your items over in just a few clicks. To do so:

1. From your master account, click Account & Settings > Locations.
  2. Click an existing Location or create a new one.
  3. From the menu on the right of your page, scroll to the bottom and click Select a Location to Match.
  4. Select a location > click Save.

Once an item library has been cloned to a new location, all previous items will be replaced.

Message 2 of 10

HI @Kelly, thanks for the detailed instructions. 

What I am trying to accomplish is something slightly different. I would like to transfer existing inventory from 1 location to another (and back). Someone at Square confirmed that functionality is not built in yet in the Square Register.

They also said another Software Update in February 2017 may contain that functionality.

Message 3 of 10
Admin

Thanks for circling back, @amitramani. We appreciate your flexibility as we're constantly working to improve our services based on seller feedback. We'll update this thread as soon as we receive any new details.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 10

Are there any updates on the ability to transfer inventory between locations? The lack of this functionality has been causing us a major headache and hours of data entry ever since we started with Square and it's to the point where I think we may need to change POS platforms because of it. 

Thanks,

Erin

Message 5 of 10
Square

Hi @erinwhitcomb, thanks for posting. 

No updates in regards to this feature being available in the Point of Sale app, however, it is available with our newer Square for Retail app, and the included Inventory Plus features. 

If it's a must for your business, that may be worth checking out! Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Message 6 of 10

When I go into View Inventory History within the Edit Item screen and click on the All Adjustment Types drop-down box, I see more choices than are available to choose when I'm making edits to my inventory, namely "Transferred" and "Cancelled"  How can I get these items to be available in the inventory management screen... they're clearly in the system.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 10

Hello @brick

That's a great question. Currently those adjustment types are exclusive to Square for Retail. They do display on the Dashboard for Square Point of Sale, but to transfer stock between locations you would have to subscribe to Square for Retail

If you still have questions please feel free to reach out! 🙂

Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

We also need the ability to transfer our inventory of ice cream across multiple locations, as it’s made at one location and distributed to others. 

Message 9 of 10
Beta Member

Do we have any further information on this thread? It appears that this particular feature has been requested by multiple people. For clarification, to ensure we're requesting the right thing and it is escalated to the proper API team...

We are requesting the following feature:

Intra-location inventory transfer directly from the Square for Retail Application. While transferring via the web portal can be done, it is tedious. Additionally, the web portal will occasionally not accept scans from barcode scanners and create a whole other headache. 

Currently the retail POS application is capable of receiving as well as counting inventory. Why not transfers? 

The original request in this thread is from 2016. If I alone am paying over $500/mo for all of the various items/subscriptions, I don't think this is too much to ask for an additional feature. 

Message 10 of 10