x

Does anyone know how to get Square invoices to sync with Quickbooks?

I use the Sync With Square app and everything works well witht the exception of open invoices created in Square. So here's what I'm looking for:  if you are on the Square dashboard and hit "Invoices" you get that nice long list of open/unpaid invoices by customer. I want that info to transfer over to Quickbooks so I can click on any customer and see all their invoices, as well as do A/R aging reposrts, etc.

Is this a possibility?

Message 1 of 23
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @bxa312

The Quickbooks integration with Square allows you to automatically import all your sales data from Square directly to Intuit QuickBooks Online, including your fees, tips, taxes, discounts etc.

However, I'm not sure that it allows for the import of open and unpaid invoices. 

Quickbooks builds and supports the integration on their end, with Square allowing for them to pull the data they need, so it might be best to contact them directly to see if this is possible.

Reach out to Quickbooks Support to see if they have a bit more insight into this 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Best Answer

Hi @bxa312

The Quickbooks integration with Square allows you to automatically import all your sales data from Square directly to Intuit QuickBooks Online, including your fees, tips, taxes, discounts etc.

However, I'm not sure that it allows for the import of open and unpaid invoices. 

Quickbooks builds and supports the integration on their end, with Square allowing for them to pull the data they need, so it might be best to contact them directly to see if this is possible.

Reach out to Quickbooks Support to see if they have a bit more insight into this 

Message 2 of 23
Beta Member

I am wondering the same thing? Any updates?

Message 3 of 23
Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Invoicing with QBO and Square

We finally have our Square account successfully connected to our Quickbooks Online account. We process all payments in our store and on our website through Square, but the majority of our wholesale sales are managed via invoice through QBO. This means that in order for us to invoice a wholesale account, we have to:

1. Create an invoice in QBO.

2. Re-create invoice in Square POS and save it as a "ticket".

3. Wait for payment to be received from account.

4. Pay the ticket in Square POS.

5. Manually "connect" the payment to the existing QBO invoice.

This leaves a ton of room for user error (that's causing a lot of problems).

We cannot utilize the Square invoices because they don't communicate with our QBO inventory, etc... 

I guess my questions is- does anyone else have a similar business model that has success with using Square and QBO in conjunction with one another? 

How would we successfully have our invoices through QBO "talk" to our Square system without all of these manual steps?

Message 4 of 23
Admin

Hey @prescriptfit, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with this. While I can't guarantee that much could be done in the near timeframe for this, I will be sure to surface your post with our Invoices Team. I did notice that another seller brought up a related in question in this thread: Does anyone know how to get Square invoices to sync with Quickbooks? Have a look at EJ's reply for more info.

If anyone else has pro-tips or insight available on their experience with this issue, please feel free to chime in! 💯

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 23

I'm using QBO and Square together. I use Square to send invoices to my customers. Square syncs the transactions to QBO. However, when the transactions come trhought ( Sales) I'm not able to assign them to a project. I only have the option that says " Square Customer". If I change it to the customers name for the payee, it gives me every " but" and i end up leaving without saving. 

I want to be able to sync the invoices from square and apply the payments to the right project. 

Thank you, 

Message 6 of 23
Admin

@georg102 Have you contacted Quickbooks about this? They might be able to provide a workaround for how to manage the transactions in QBO.

In the meantime I'm adding your post to this thread in case another seller can help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 23

I have the exact same problem, only I generate many tickets daily in Square, turn them into invoices, copy/paste a month's worth into Excel and group by customer, total them, then use QBO to generate and track statements to customers. MAJOR PAIN IN THE NECK. In my opinion, Square needs to address this. If I am successful enough to have hundreds of invoices monthly, wouldn't Square: a) want to make it as easy as possible to take the money; b) keep me from employing another companies app, especially one that can process credits cards; and c) make it possible to accept payment for multiple invoices in one transaction?

Square employees: please take note!

Message 8 of 23
Admin

@bxa312

Thanks for this suggest. I am going to send it over to our Invoices team as a Feature Request.

Just so that I'm clear and can pass this accordingly, you're looking for the ability to send your invoices more like a statement, where they can pay all open invoices at one time, instead of individually?

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 9 of 23

I'd like the ability to generate a statement showing all open invoices, and have the ability to take payment on multiple invoices in one transaction (for customers who settle up at the end of the month with one payment for many invoices);

Message 10 of 23

Same, so unhandy to spend a handful of money thinking it would all sync. Lots of extra work. Please fix this issue, love square system but not as much now.😔

Message 11 of 23

Hi @Justin31

I don't have any news or updates on this at the moment.

@bxa312 Were you able to get in contact with the Quickbooks team for clarification?

Message 12 of 23

When the daily sync takes place between Square and Quickbooks Online, both the invoice and payment come over. This is correct. What happens next is where I am struggling. The payments that come over are not matching the invoice that came with it. For example: Invoice transaction #SQ-2LXe comes over with all the detail from Square (perfect!) however, the payment (also transaction #SQ-2LXe) is not applied to the invoice. Square is automatically applying multiple other payments, not related to the invoice, to the invoice. All payments being applied to the invoice are payments made at prior dates & related to different invoices all-together. 

Why would payments that were made at an earlier time be applied to an invoice occurring after the payment date??? The sync is not using the invoice and payment transaction numbers properly (matching them) and randomly assigning payments to invoices. HELP!

Message 13 of 23
Admin

@tnemeth888 Have a look at EJ's answer here on this thread. You'll want to get in touch with Quickbooks since they're the ones who support the integration. I hope they're able to help get this sorted out for you!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 14 of 23

I ran into this exact issue and spent many hours trying to find a solution. After conversations with support personnel at QB and Square, as well as people on other online forums, no solution was found. The two apps are simply not designed to do what their users want most: synchronization.

Message 15 of 23

@bxa312 thanks for the confirmation that its not just me doing something wrong. What was your final solution on getting around the whole mess of the syncing with so many errors?

Message 16 of 23

I was hoping you'd tell me...

Message 17 of 23

LOL! Well, I am working through the use of an Excel based program SaaSAnt that maps the transaction fields on each invoice to what QB is using. It is worth a shot for $9.99/mo. and hopefully after I get the import template set up it will be easier.

The second option I have on the back burner is using QB Enterprise for Manufacturing with a QB POS (I would retire the Square POS and use the QB version). Per QB, this would be the easiest and most accurate sync since Square is not involved any more...but I absolutely can't trust what they say regarding a product working as intended. With so many errors, wasted time, and lacking support this should be free. I am trying to run a business, not re-code the sync system.

QB Enterprise is around $1,400/year but would be worth it if it works as intended and didn't have 8,000 errors to fix because of poor software. Hope this helps you too.

Message 18 of 23

I am having the same problem. However, why does the invoice and the payment post it looks like its doubling my revenue. 

Message 19 of 23
Beta Member

I have the same problem. It makes life so difficult. Tracking cash flow is a pain. 

Message 20 of 23

Hi there,

Yes, there is the way. We found Skyvia as a solution for load Square data into QBO and back on schedule.

I hope it helps!

Message 21 of 23