x

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way 2 take partial payments 4 an invoice?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Little late with an update here, but wanted to make sure y'all know this is possible with Square Progress Invoices!

You can schedule multiple payments on a Square Invoice by following these steps 

Joe
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Hi there, @LiaJmt - thanks for adding your voice here and checking in on this feature! Good to hear from you. Same to you, @BIONICONE - welcome! 

You may be looking specifically for our newly introduced Deposit Feature for Invoices. This will also allow you to create a single invoice to track multiple payments and reduce the amount of time you have to spend reconciling multiple payments (deposit, follow-up payments) to a single transaction or sale.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for! 

336 Comments

I have read every single comment and request in this thread for partial payments/deposits with invoicing to be a feature with Square. I must say I thought I was switching from Paypal to Square until I realized that I cannot accept a partial payment. As a makeup artist partial payment is a VERY Important part of my business. Tonight I will have to send 5 clients an invoice through Paypal because the feature is not available through Square. I hope this means your company will make it available soon from the looks of this thread you don't seem to be in a rush at all.

Much like an earlier writer, we are a repair shop, with custom fabrication and sales aspects as well. We absolutely take partial payment above a certain dollar amount, and are struggling with how to do so gracefully. We only just started using square, and are concerned that we might not be able to stay. I have read the replys that suggest the square development team is not on this, but those notes from some time ago, has anything changed? It seems like a critical feature for many brick and mortar businesses... and although the word on the street is that storefronts are done for, that is not the reality for several classes of business, repair services being just one. Please take the time to respond, and please pass this concern on to the powers that be. Thank you.

Admin

Thank you for your post @RARE

I can certainly see how it would help you when taking deposits for repairs and custom orders. I’ll share your interest in this feature with the Product team who do read and consider each of post. Each post helps the team to prioritize which features to build next. 

As soon as we have any updates we’ll let everyone in this thread know! 

We are now beyond concerned.. you should understand why.... first the obvious..

Deposits are a fundamental part of small business etc.. WE survive equally from not losing a fortune, in retained deposits.. unlike big business, which can typically afford the work arounds.. e.g. a company like SQUARE..

Secondly, there is no variance in this response, or the first response in this thread.. the theme is "we hear you, we will fix it", as we see hundreds of ads, tv commercials, etc claiming SQUARE is the 'best tool" for a growing business... well, that is just not close to accurate, if the fundamentals of receiving payments is not only absent, but well over 8 months (in this thread topic alone) in development, for a simple programming detail most thriving companies offer.. not to mention, how many years this has been a missing feature.. the "squeeky wheel" gets the grease they say, well, it has been quite loud for years..

To assure clients that "we will fix it" requires effort, and some sort of established progress.. WE HAVE ONLY been given "text"..

This issue is beyond restrictive to , clearly, hundreds of your clients needs..... It is hard to believe your response as genuine, when, again, this is not rocket science, it is a BASIC business need, easily provided by paypal and other services.. that has gone unchanged for years.. unacceptable.... more so , that I have to, as many do, explain to my clients that your tv commercials promotoe "technology" with chip readers, etc, but when they ask how do they make a deposit, I have to say "SQUARE has been saying that is in the works, for years".. and then explain to them whey we keep you as our provider, as they try to find a "check" to write (how wonderfuly convenient for everyone) to fix the gap in your service.. as well, then my accountant has to go into their invoice, and update it, however, labeling the deposit a "discount".. etc etc.. yes .. BARELY ABOVE LEMONADE STAND service in that regard for your clients.. and of all times.. the HOLIDAY season.. SQUARE

It absolutely blows my mind that this still isn't an option.  Wow.  They'll take our money but won't listen to our requests.

It's absoultely incredible that a company of your size and magnitude of technology can not simply figure out how to add downpayments on your invoices.  Truly blows my mind that it has been over a year.  I can not think of one single other POS system that does not offer this service.

Square Community Moderator

@frostlion @TCAlmonds I completely agree with you here, and I wish I had a better response than what's already been mentioned within this thread. This is an important feature that can make things easier on a lot of Sellers like yourself. 

We take all of the feedback that our sellers give, and we use this to make tough decisions on what product updates we prioritize. Unfortunately, some product updates get put on hold for an unforeseeable amount of time. 

As frustrating as this all might be, hopefully you're able to stick with us and we can get a solution rolled out for everyone soon. Be sure to check out the posts from @rohini in this thread so you can speak with our Invoice Team directly. 

Tomorrow or the next day, one of my customers is going to hand me a CHECK OR CASHfor $3420 for a 60% payment down on a job.  In about two weeks, I will collect another $1140.  Then sometime around mid January, I'll collect a final CHECK OR CASH for $1140.  <<< IS GOING TO HAPPEN either in cash or check, both an inconvience for my customer and for me... Just so you don't think we're all just chirping up about something to just chirp.

Hello @TCAlmonds, we're actually working on partial payments for Square Invoices! Check out @rohini's reply on the first page on the thread "Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?"

Beta Member

Is this only planned for invoices? Or will there be a way to accept partial payments on a regular sale? We are a retail business and take 50% on certain larger ticket items that take several weeks to come in. Our current workaround is a nightmare.

Please advise.

Jeremy