x

Easier way to merge customers

I have merged all my "duplicate" customers Square identified but still have numerous customers Square hasn't identified. Sometimes I have three and four of the same customers! I'm sure they don't mind all the duplicates since this is how their fees are based. I'm merging them manually one by one but this is taking for ever. Is there a easier way to merge all of these duplicates rather than one by one?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Admin

Hi @JW4624,

Could you first let me know if you're using Square Appointments? This will help me to narrow it down on where your duplicates are coming from. I'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 14

No, we do not use square appointments. Customers are only collected by the use of their credit cards.

Message 3 of 14
Admin

Hmm thanks for confirming @JW4624. It sounds like maybe they're using different cards which is creating new profiles.

When you're in your Customer Directory, you're able to place a check mark to the left of multiple customers and see an option at the top of your page to "merge". It will look like this:

Sorry for my delayed reply. Hoping this helps!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 4 of 14

I am already doing it in this manner but with nearly 4K customers and many duplicates it takes far too long. Square needs to either improve their algorithms or make an easier way to merge customers. 

Message 5 of 14
Admin

@JW4624 I understand completely. Larger customer directories definitely make it a bit more difficult to find and merge duplicates. Sorry about that experience. I've shared your feedback with our Product team. If merging customers becomes easier with larger databases in the future, we'll definitely be sure to update here in the Community.

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 6 of 14

I'm having a difficult time merging customers from the directory list.  We have over 6,000 customers and it's really a pain to go through the list and merge customers who have multiple accounts. Is there an easier way? Can square create a feature that doesn't default back to the top of the customer list after merging a customer? If I'm in the J's merging customers,  as soon as I merge someone, the list defaults back to the A's and its a real pain getting back to the J's. Hope this makes sense. TIA

Message 7 of 14
Alumni

Hi @vinylcs1,

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Currently we do not have any other method or way to merge customers within your directory. We also see how frustrating it might be with the list alphabetically jumping to the top. 

Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 8 of 14
Beta Member

Is there a way on the back end of your system to scan for duplicate customers better?

There is a section that appears in red of potential duplicates. We do merge them. However, when we go through our customer database afterwards there are still dozens of duplicates (same first and last name, same person) that never appeared as an option to be merged.

This is a manual process that takes at least 2+ hours to merge the same customer with multiple profiles.

Can Square please improve the scan feature to include the same first and last name for potential merges?

Message 9 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Seller Community! I've merged your post with an existing thread where other sellers have delivered similar feedback. We like to keep it all in one place if possible. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and have a nice day! 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Message 10 of 14
Beta Member

Thanks tbh I think it should be an easy fix so pIease run it up the chain to your superiors. Just searching by same name as duplicates would help on the back end greatly. It’s so time consuming. I could be selling more product and making you guys more money (comission) if it was easier. Also agree with OP that having it take me back to “A” after merging is torture. Thanks!

Message 11 of 14

It would also be super helpful for a way to refresh the list so that it pulls up more possible duplicates. I will do the merge all option however, it doesn't find all of them. So I have to either scroll through and look for others, or I have to go back every day to see what new ones have finally been found. (I have refreshed my page to see if that would push it to "look through the list of customers again" and may show more but it didn't unfortunately)

Message 12 of 14

I am having this same issue.  This looks like it has been a problem for several years, looking at the dates of these postings.  My customer list is showing 40K customers, with a huge number of duplicates.  However, it is only suggesting 3 duplicates to merge.  I have spent hours trying to merge duplicates as mentioned above, but it simply isn't feasable to do with this quantity.  My search for customers from my ipad (a feature that I use frequently to create tickets) is now extremely slow and I believe it is because of this huge customer base (which is inaccurate).  Has Square made any headway on resolving this issue?

Message 13 of 14
Square Community Moderator

No updates on this one however, I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request.

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Message 14 of 14